Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No spark....
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
green73type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry had some late nights at work this week haven't had time to get out into the shop untill this morning. No spark yet. Check points condenser and inside of distributor. All seem good. Ground wire in distributor is still attached at both ends. I regapped the points and still nothing. I am going to try another set of points I found ( Bosch) that I forgot I had and see what the yields me. I found I can order a rebuilt distributor thre rock auto that wil come with new points, condenser, and fuel injected trigger points if that's what I need to do.
green73type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....I now have spark! but no start...yet. It back fires a bit out of the intake and i hear some kind of internal thump. I have not investigated the fuel system at the engine except for the lines. tried a few shots of starter fluid and got nothing but some back firing out of the intake and every once in a while it will shoot exhaust out of the muffler. quick...maybe stupid question. The plugs I removed from the car did not have the top nut on them...when installing the new plugs and wires the new plugs fir in the wires better with the nut. Would that effect anything?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green73type3 wrote:
OK....I now have spark! but no start...yet. It back fires a bit out of the intake and i hear some kind of internal thump. I have not investigated the fuel system at the engine except for the lines. tried a few shots of starter fluid and got nothing but some back firing out of the intake and every once in a while it will shoot exhaust out of the muffler. quick...maybe stupid question. The plugs I removed from the car did not have the top nut on them...when installing the new plugs and wires the new plugs fir in the wires better with the nut. Would that effect anything?

If the plug wires are Bosch wires, then it WILL make a difference (same with the OE plug wires), as the spark is trying to jump from the plug wire to the tip of the spark plug. This can result in what you're seeing. Aftermarket plug wires are a different story though, and might need that tip on the plugs.

I'd double check that the distributor is fully seated. It might have "jumped up", and is now sparking whenever it wants, versus when it's supposed to.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
green73type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that my timing is off?
green73type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read some online articles about timing and also my shop manual, but cant seem to get a straight answer on it in reference to my type three. on the dizzy where is the small notch suppose to point? and where does the longer end of my rotor button point? I cant find any info on the notch on my dizzy, mine currently point towards cylinder 4. I have read that my rotor button needs to point to cylinder 1 and also that I need to point to cylinder 1 plug wire on the cap, cylinder 3 and cylinder 3 plug wire on the cap. I understand timing with the light while the engine is running as my shop manual explains this well. Just can find any info with what to do while the engine is not running. Also worth noting I guess. My engine smells like exhaust while currently turning over and my intake gets warm. It also lightly back-fires out of the intake.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hook up a gauge at the Test Port between the 2 injectors. You should have a Test Port on the left or right side. Ascertain that you have about 30 lbs fuel pressure while turning it over & running. The fuel pressure adjustment screw assembly can also be attached on the left or right I've found.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
green73type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this last night. I am gonna try an locate the proper tool for this sometime this week.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 0-100 lb water pressure gauge from Home Depot to test mine. They sell a plastic threaded hose bard to attach 5/16" hose onto. Clamp everything tight or it will leak!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey

Last edited by Mike Fisher on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
green73type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at lowes, would be easier to probably make one.
green73type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My issue with timing that's got me confused. When I rotate my my pulley( clockwise) to the first notch on the pulley this is where my rotor button and notch on my dizzy body fall pointing at the No. 4 cylinder wire in the cap about 90 degrees off from where I read it should be.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green73type3 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My issue with timing that's got me confused. When I rotate my my pulley( clockwise) to the first notch on the pulley this is where my rotor button and notch on my dizzy body fall pointing at the No. 4 cylinder wire in the cap about 90 degrees off from where I read it should be.

What your rotor is pointing at IS #1. Start there, and go 4-3-2-1 clockwise around the cap.

All that info you've been reading about is for a t-1 engine, not a t-3 engine. t-3 engines have the entire distributor located 180* different from a t-1 engine.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
green73type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! I figured it out before I read your post! Apparently whoever parked it ten years ago was going off a T-1 because I installed my new parts the way I took off the old parts. She fired right up first flick of the key! Runs like a top and idles great. Gonna address the no brakes and take her for her first spin down the road in 10 years!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: