Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2054 motor disaster. recovery plan
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: 2054 motor disaster. recovery plan Reply with quote

Well driving back home on Thursday night, my Thingster really started knocking. good oil pressure, head temp, oil temp, but it was really bad. nothing poking out of the crankcase. Well I need a rebuild and I really want to do the 200 mile off-road drive on the Mojave road on Memorial Day weekend. My original plan was to put another engine in the Thingster. Then I thought to take the motor from my 63 singlecab and put it in the Thingster. Then I was driving behind my singlecab and saw that with Reduction boxes and 15" wheels (standard in 63) I had lots of ground clearance. So I have decided to take my time with as rebuild of my Thingster stroker, and use my 63 singlecab. It has a 'meximotor' 1600 double-port, type III twin solex carburetors and a bugpack header. So I think it generates about 60 HP and it does go fine on the freeway. I will put my off-road tyres on the back of the singlecab and so I will be carrying lots of spares!
Here are pics of my singlecab showing the ground clearance and pics of my beefy tyres for the back that are on the front of my crippled Thingster.

I might get the Thingster motor rebuilt in time, but I think removing the pressure will get a better job done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sam_w on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully it happened close to home, and not halfway to the Arctic Circle.

Quote:
"I might get the Thingster motor rebuilt in time, but I think removing the pressure will get a better job done."

I agree with you 100% on that. My best (and most relaxed) Thing work is done when the weather is lousy and there is no rush to finish.

Good luck Sam, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that I have decided what to do, how will I do it? The first thing is to get the motor out and disassembled.

I am glad that I have done Cecil's mod so that I can remove the rear apron and just pull the motor straight back on a trolley jack.
The fan belt pulley felt tight and had no clonks and there was not visible metal in the oil, so I guess I will find out.

I am thinking of staying with the 74 mm stroke , but will probably change the camshaft to a real Engle 110. I also think that I will update to big valve heads and Weber 40's.

But nothing decided until the motor is out and disassembled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sirswank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got nothing on your motor, but nice Single! those mirror arms are awesome, never seen those before Shocked
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got them at he Bad Camberg show in 1999, they are mirrors as found on German firetrucks.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture says a thousand words.

We think it was started when I broke the gland nut last memorial in the Mojave desert.

Well The case is fine, and I was surprised that the motor did run, I guess I luckily stopped soon enough.

Well I am going to :
big valve heads
hotter cam
8 dowel standard flywheel
Weber 40 mm carbs.

I have the chrome-moly gland nut I bought at the CLassic last year.

I will just see how well it goes than.

saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Sam I have to say in the last year if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any at all. I am sorry to hear about the latest brake. I will say that of everyone on this board your drive your THING like it should be driven. You never hold back. As for motor good luck. I just replaced mine with a 1914 single 44 and love it. It dyno'ed at 110 hp and 106 torque. I was after torque more than horse'ys in order to pull these big wheels. Good luck.
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the point where Ian, Solomon and I try to talk you into going to a Type 4/914.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saying, don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but I would check the case bore alignment. If it's an alumin(i)um case, or you are luckier than me, maybe it's okay, but the last time that happened to me, the case was pretty much junk, bores were fine, but the case was warped...
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I know recently broke a crank like that in an alum case 1914. Reliable engine builder who knows what he is doing checked the case out, line bored it (alum aftermkt case remember), put it together with a new crank, bearings etc.
Long story short the engine didn't make 3k miles before it lost the mains. Took the new crank with it. Case looked good and mic'd out but it was messed up.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snapped one in my bus a few years ago and the case also bit the dust
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I am all set to rebuild. Maybe I should goto a type4?
I think I will stay with type 1. I think it was caused by having a 4 dowel flywheel on an 8 dowel crank,and not using a moly gland nut.
Has anyone used the A-1sidewinder muffler. It looks good but is not cheap.
I am excited as to how it will turn out.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would not make your crank crack.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally made up my mind and am getting Adam at Kirkwood VW to build the motor.
After much pausing, I am keeping to a 74 by 94, but will go to better heads, Weber 40's, stock weight 8 dowel flywheel, and A-1 Merged exhaust.

Some of the parts are special order so I will have to be patient.

I hope to have it all together by July the 4th so I can make my trip to the great PNW and the to Kubeltreffen East!

Oh I have been recommended to go back to a 26mm oil pump instead of the Melling 30 mm pump I have now. I am told that too high an oil volume/pressure makes it overheat! I do not understand that but it can be reversed if I do not like it.

parts list

A-1 Thing Merged 1 5/8" exhaust

Cleaning up the crankcase, while waiting for all the parts.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: