Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

navy paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
quintenebersole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: navy paint Reply with quote

I was talking to a old timer and he suggested a idea to use paint that the battle ships used in the navy. It holds up to the salt water, and being in michigan the winters are bad. So instead of using por-15 im thinking of using that as the undercoat. I need to find out what they use, i read it was a lead paint. If there is any other suggestions you have i would be glad to hear them.
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a bridge paint a long time ago as undercoat called Red Lead. It was good stuff. From what I understand it was banned by the EPA or some government entity. I was 14 when I used it (my dad found it in a government warehouse back in the day) and I'm still alive and normal by my own definition at 42.

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haze gray... ugliest color ever. I dont think it is lead based, based on all the EPA and NAVOSH safety reqs. Im a Sub guy so not 100% what the surface folks use, but the SUB Black is lead free.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratt wrote:
Haze gray... ugliest color ever. I dont think it is lead based, based on all the EPA and NAVOSH safety reqs. Im a Sub guy so not 100% what the surface folks use, but the SUB Black is lead free.

I've spent a lot of time around Navy ships. The more recent haze grey paints turn kind of pink after awhile. There is no lead paint in use anymore. It's kind of sad actually, to see a fairly new aircraft carrier sun bleached with rust streaking down the sides all over. Not that the newer paints are all to blame, but probably play a big part. ...end rant.

Now some of the epoxy polyamide paints used in bilge areas is some tough stuff. You can get the milspec stuff from SW: http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/detail.jsp?A=sku-26459%3Aproduct-6928

I wouldn't use it though, there are plenty of other suitable paints out there (...cough... Masterseries ...shameless plug...)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: