Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Beetle Rocker Assembly Fell Off
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
signsoflifesa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: 1971 Beetle Rocker Assembly Fell Off Reply with quote

I've been overseas and left our beetle in the care of our daughter. Got back this week and she informed me she hasn't driven it much because it wasn't running right. I started it up and found a misfire in 1 & 2 cylinders. Changed plugs, checked timing, etc. No help. Thought I would take off the tappet cover and when I did the rocker arm assembly bolts had come off the studs and the whole thing was loose. That is why it was "misfiring." So, my question...what kind of damage could this have done? I'm getting smoke from that side of the exhaust now. Wasn't before I left. So I'm wondering what could have happened. I rebuilt this engine two years ago this July. I torqued the bolts but evidently it didn't hold.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably nothing, put it back together and see. If anything, it might have boogered up the tips of the pushrods.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how far out they were and how long. Pull your pushrods out and roll them on a flat surface to check if they are straight - a visual check under a bright light will show any damage to the tips or rocker cups. Pop them back on with a bit of blue loctite and loctite and tighten the other side.
signsoflifesa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I will have to find out why it is smoking on that side now. The nuts had completely come off, but the assembly was still on the studs...doing nothing, obviously.
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be smoking on that side (exhaust smoke?) due to a build-up of unburnt carbon etc due to its 'misfiring' when the rockers were loose

Give it time to burn off...

Hope this helps
bugguy076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen to me a couple of times. It's not that big of a deal. Just check the push rods like stated above and for any other bent or broken parts. . Reasemble and reset the valve gap. Should be OK.
signsoflifesa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: 1971 Beetle Rocker Assembly Fell Off Reply with quote

Thanks again for the replies. It seems the smoking has all but disappeared. Now just trying to get the valve cover to stop leaking.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope there's no lasting damage. Did you put wavy lockwashers under the nuts when you fastened the rocker assembly to the two studs? And make sure that those C-clips are properly fitting onto the shaft, so that they cannot pop off in case they were really worn?
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Use a 8x15mm nut and NO washer to hold the rocker arms down.

(old engine builder of 28 yrs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: