Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swish, Swish -- New 1800 cc Engine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Swish, Swish -- New 1800 cc Engine Reply with quote

Been a long time since I got enough bread to build a brand new engine with all new parts. Just finished assembling the case out to the heads. Stock stroke, 91 mm pistons and cylinders (brand new, beautiful cross-hatch on cylinders, very clean pistons). I used lubriplate on the cylinder walls (old guy, does anyone ever use that stuff anymore?). When I hand turn the engine I hear a light swish, swish as the pistons move in and out. I never heard this with broken-in pistons. Am I hearing the cross-hatch being lightly rubbed?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With motor oil on the cylinder wall you can hear noise as you move new pistons up and down in the cylinders.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may have a bitch of a time seating in your rings. very, very light oil on them. some folks use none at all.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that do not know lubriplate is essentially white grease. In all my years working on VW's and GSE equipment (roughly 36 years.) I've never seen lubriplate (or any kind of grease.) used in that application.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2- its for wheel bearings- Rings and cylinders are being honed way different than when I first did an engine. The cross hatch is real fine and the tops of the cross ridges are knocked off and scrubbed religiously and ever thing (except lifters) is pre lubed with the oil the car will be running.- don't yell I know you all have your magic mixtures.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lubriplate used to make many different products, some were thick like the familiar white grease and others were clear runny oils, either way I'm not sure I'd want to count on any of thier products for breaking in rings, a good smear of engine oil is all I ever use.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Lubriplate #105 assembly lube for everything except cam lobe/lifters and cylinder bores. It's excellent stuff and it's not a wheel bearing grease Shocked

Light oil on the cylinder walls is what you would have wanted to use. And your swish swish noise is to be expected because the rings arn't seated yet.

It's hard to tell how your ring break-in will work out. Normally, doing it right the rings are pretty much seated in a 100 miles or so. There is a good proceedure for the break in. Get Tom Wilsons book and review your assembly details and follow his first run-in proceedure and his ring break-in proceedure. THe start-up method is most critical for a good engine.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lubriplate had its heyday in the 40's and 50's. You see it mentioned in a lot of publications from that era. It probably has its uses today, but outside of things like door strikes and latches, I have never used much of it.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
x2- its for wheel bearings-

Wildthings wrote:
I think Lubriplate had its heyday in the 40's and 50's. You see it mentioned in a lot of publications from that era. It probably has its uses today, but outside of things like door strikes and latches, I have never used much of it.

Forget the past. It's a fantastic engine assembly lube today. You gotta' get updated and beyond the old school wheel bearing and latch grease mentality.

I like oil usage also. But unless you run it soon after building the lube is lost. That's a great way to waste an engine build. You can, but no thanks, I won't Laughing
So I use Lubriplate #105 for everything except barrel bores. Those get oil and then a shot of more oil if the engine has set without starting for a long while.
Lubriplate #105 has fantastic lubrication quality and is the perfect consistancy. It's about as runny as it could be while staying in place and not running off.

http://www.lubriplate.com/Products/Automotive-Lubr...rease.aspx

P.S., I probably bought the good old Lubriplate grease for latches back when the store manager himself was either Manny, Moe, or Jack in the 50's.
ChapinBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all Grrreat!!! Everyone has their magic developed over the last thousand or so years that we've been doin' this stuff. Old guys and young guys. Me and my Vdubs, my son and his little electronic things. I'm just glad that my daughter knows how to properly torque the nuts on the rod caps Smile otherwise I would need to get this old body down on the floor more often! I think the consensus is that I need to clean the lubriplate off the cylinder walls and rings and use thin oil instead. That was good advice, thanks!!! Also good to know that the swish, swish is indeed the cross-hatch. Bye for now!
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? No Marvel Mystery Oil?
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havn't used Marvel Mystery Oil since using it in the oiler for my Judson Supercharger in my Austin Healey "bugeye" Sprite in 1962.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ Shocked how old are you?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
^^^^ Shocked how old are you?

It is not the years, it is the miles. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

separated at birth Laughing

How cool was that car- I had the "normal one" but it was the first one down the Bristol Tn speed way/drag strip!- not officially- of course.

Don't step in any!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="busdaddy"]Lubriplate used to make many different products, some were thick like the familiar white grease and others were clear runny oils, either way I'm not sure I'd want to count on any of thier products for breaking in rings, a good smear of engine oil is all I ever use.[/quote
Quote:

Sorry- kinda like thinking chevy only made trucks.

Don't step in any!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Havn't used Marvel Mystery Oil since using it in the oiler for my Judson Supercharger in my Austin Healey "bugeye" Sprite in 1962.

Did it look anything like this?

Don't step in any!
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Did it look anything like this?

Nice one Cool Very Happy , Was that yours and what year was it?

Mine was a '60 with a soft top.
Went the full extreme route on the engine to run the 1/4, Iskendarian blower grind, big bore (in a little minature package Wink ) injection on top of the Judson, spaghetti tubes/collector, etc., etc.
One and only run at Fontana Raceway. They classed it in C Modified Sports and I sat on the line against a Vette with a 6 log sticking up thru the hood. That was a joke, the end of any strip attempt, but lots of street racing instead.
Bugeyes are far and few between but one showed up at our weekly show a few weeks ago.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it in 69 for 399. ran it for a few years but don't remember where it ended up.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: