Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust gaskets
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that extractor muffler. It has about 3000 miles and even more recent idling and tuning exhaust gone through it. The fitment is nice. I blocked off the EGR port so I cant comment on that part.

The Tab on the muffler where it bolts up to the side of the fan shroud had to be banged a little with a hammer to align it right, but it bolted to the heater boxes just fine.

It comes painted, but that is a rust preventer from the factory, it burned off on my first engine run up. So plan a spray paint job to keep in from rusting. I just used high temp grill paint

I just removed it to install an O2 bung in the side above where the 3/4 exhaust goes into the muffler. I stuck an inspection camera inside the hole and after 2 years still looks good inside. I also gave it a fresh coat as some of the joints has some surface rust, either lack of prep work from the first time, or just normal road wear tear.

Some thread on here, someone had said it doesn't sound like the original bus setup, but I have never heard a stock one. Its not loud and throaty like the empi dual setups. Nor does it drone on after long rides

Getting a good seal with the heater boxes you definately want to make sure the flanges are filed or hammered flat. I also used the Copper RTV on all the connections with the gaskets and have no leaks

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is basically a clone of the Ansa. It is variously made in the U.S. or Mexico from what I've seen, with no noticeable difference between the two. It is markedly superior to the Empi. I would say that it is a little thinner than the Ansa (which I used to sell when available) but not dramatically so. The Ansa sold for about $120 when new, and for the same price as this one, or even perhaps $40 or $50 more, I'd have gone with the Ansa, But IMO $300 for the Ansa is too high. It's still, in the end, a $120 muffler. I doubt that you'd get enough difference in longevity to warrant paying nearly triple the price. As Aerosurfer noted, these come painted but only to prevent surface rust while on the shelf. The paint will burn off. (The Ansa shipped unpainted.)

Link: http://www.busdepot.com/352000
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aero, Ron,
Thanks for taking time to post, this is the info I was after. I agree that the $300 tag on the Ansa muffler is high, just because it is a no longer produced aftermarket item doesn't take away from the fact that it is still aftermarket. Someone more anal than myself will undoubtedly scoop it up for a "period correct" accessory or some such nonsense.
Anyhow, thanks again, I've got a much better idea of what I want to do.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
As Aerosurfer noted, these come painted but only to prevent surface rust while on the shelf. The paint will burn off.

I have found this to be true with pretty much every painted exhaust. At first I was irritated when my German T1 stock muffler burned off on the first drive, but then I read every forum post ever, and it was my fault for not doing research. Gotta find some VHT paint and an industrial oven.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Busdepot wrote:
As Aerosurfer noted, these come painted but only to prevent surface rust while on the shelf. The paint will burn off.

I have found this to be true with pretty much every painted exhaust. At first I was irritated when my German T1 stock muffler burned off on the first drive, but then I read every forum post ever, and it was my fault for not doing research. Gotta find some VHT paint and an industrial oven.....

That'd be a big oven alright! I just used high temp grill paint. Its flat black and was cheaper than any of the VHT paints from the parts store. And it can be cured by just running the motor, a littlen more forgiving than the multi step baking of the engine paints. All my recent touchups were mostly in the edges and on the manufactured welds. Like I said likely just overlooked prep on my part the first time or where I had layed the muffler in the ground prior

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Ours is basically a clone of the Ansa. It is variously made in the U.S. or Mexico from what I've seen, with no noticeable difference between the two. It is markedly superior to the Empi. I would say that it is a little thinner than the Ansa (which I used to sell when available) but not dramatically so. The Ansa sold for about $120 when new, and for the same price as this one, or even perhaps $40 or $50 more, I'd have gone with the Ansa, But IMO $300 for the Ansa is too high. It's still, in the end, a $120 muffler. I doubt that you'd get enough difference in longevity to warrant paying nearly triple the price. As Aerosurfer noted, these come painted but only to prevent surface rust while on the shelf. The paint will burn off. (The Ansa shipped unpainted.)

Actually BD doesn't even have these anymore at all. Backordered with no end in sight. So get 'em where you can I suppose.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Busdepot wrote:
Ours is basically a clone of the Ansa. ...

Actually BD doesn't even have these anymore at all. Backordered with no end in sight. So get 'em where you can I suppose.

We should have them again within a couple of weeks. Supposedly they're on their way as of today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: