Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buzzing noise when change gears at high rpm.?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leiruc86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Buzzing noise when change gears at high rpm.? Reply with quote

I have a 1973 vw super beetle, bought it a couple months ago, its been my everyday running /driving project car since then; my problem started last Friday, while I was driving home I heard a buzzing noise and vibration when change gears it wasn't constant , Sunday when I took it to drive around I notice the noise was stronger and more constant than before ..I also notice that when I drive around where I work (an apartment complex) it does not do it till I give more gas to the car .. change 1 to 2nd gear and it's fine( no more than 2nd gear need it, 17 speed bumps don't let you ) ..when i drive long distance with out anything in front to make reduce the speed it does it every time that I need to change gears . If I keep below 40 mph in 4th gear everything good if I go above strong buzzing comes back. Any info would be appreciate . Thanks in advance.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the noise happen when the car is running and stationary and you step on the clutch? If so, it is the release bearing.

brad
leiruc86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering but I just noticed it happens in neutral if i give a good push to the accelerator , loud buzzing/vibration
leiruc86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think this could be relate it to tranny/engine mounts, if the are worn out or crack could this make the car make this noises when high rpm, but not al low rpm?
unca waldo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if the fan has come loose, thrown a vane or become unbalanced for some reason. At low RPM, it might not be noticeable, however as the revs increase, the fan will begin wobbling inside the shroud.

It also might be something as simple as a screw falling out of the shrouding and allowing the piece to vibrate as engine speed increases.
leiruc86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UNCA WALDO , I just pulled the belt off the generator and turn engine on and rev to high rpm and no noise at all (just did for couple seconds) turned the generator with a wrench and hold the fan blade and notice a slide movement before it turned with the generator movement if you move the generator pulley back and forward there is a play in the fan.
unca waldo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leiruc86 wrote:
Thanks UNCA WALDO , I just pulled the belt off the generator and turn engine on and rev to high rpm and no noise at all (just did for couple seconds) turned the generator with a wrench and hold the fan blade and notice a slide movement before it turned with the generator movement if you move the generator pulley back and forward there is a play in the fan.

Glad to hear it wasn't something more serious that was source of the noise. It's a relatively easy fix, but you'll have to remove the fan shroud in order to make the repair.

Providing the shaft from the generator to the fan is undamaged, I'd suggest replacing the fan with a good, OEM unit... some aftermarket fans are really poorly made. I'd be a bit leary of reusing your current fan, unless it checks out.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to fix it without removing the generator. Start up the engien and grab the top of the fan shroud and push and pull it till you hear the rubbing. You might be able to "adjust" the shroud till the rubbing noise goes away at high speed. I've had to do this on a few cars over the years

brad
leiruc86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brad,thanks for the input I'm going to try to do that first and see if I can make it work, if not I will have to remove the shroud and see if I can fix it/welding it or something ; it's my daily driver and the if I need to order the fan it will take almost a week to get here and I don't want to borrow my wife's suv..
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try Bus Depot in PA, they'll have an order to you in 2 days. They stock Bug parts. I seem to remember a parts place in GA that was advertising on CL up here a while ago. Can't remember a name, but it exists....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
leiruc86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, yesterday I pulled out the fan shroud , fan was loose from the generator shaft , the hole where the fan seats into the shaft it wasn't a perfect fit some how got loose and make the hole bigger I guess, took fan to the welding table, cleaned it and welded in place.. now my problem is that after I installed everything back in place and ready to fire it up, car turns over but it doesn't crank, I must have done something wrong for that to happen, I'm new in this kind of things but It doesn't scare make mistakes,I check the positive wire from coil to a ground in the car and it gives me 12 v , but when I pull the plug that goes to the distributor and ground it with a screw driver and try to crank it it doesn't give spark, do you guys think I f..k the distributor while I was trying to put everything back? .. my distributor has 2 wires red and black, I know the first time that I attempt to fire up the car the Red wire that comes from the ignition got loose and I connected by mistake on the negative side of the coil after couple attempts and some diagrams I notice it wanst on the right place Reverse polarity could burn my distributor?
Thanks Uriel
DrummerDaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at your coil.
If I remember correctly, one of the posts is #1, and the other is something like #31.
Think of it like this. #31 is the hot side. You can have 31 different things attached here. There should only be 1 thing attached to the #1 side, the condenser wire from the distributor.
See if that's where your problem is at.

*Edit - Reading your last post again, do you have an electronic ignition module in your dizzy?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leiruc86 wrote:
think I f..k the distributor while I was trying to put everything back? .. my distributor has 2 wires red and black, I know the first time that I attempt to fire up the car the Red wire that comes from the ignition got loose and I connected by mistake on the negative side of the coil after couple attempts and some diagrams I notice it wanst on the right place Reverse polarity could burn my distributor?
Thanks Uriel
Sounds like you have an electronic points replacement unit in your distributor. Hooking the wires up incorrectly most likely fried the electronic unit. You'll probably have to switch to points or replace the electronic unit in the distributor. Sad
leiruc86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for The day off , I still have the old distributor that came with the car I'm going to replace it and give it a try and see what happens?...thanks for the advice...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: