Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SVDA or DVDA
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shanedante0917
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: SVDA or DVDA Reply with quote

Okay, so when I went buy the local Volkswagen mechanic. They overlooked everything and he said I was going to want to change my distributer to an electronic ignition, so I was looking how to do that up and I have been noticing a lot of the 009, SVDA or DVDA distributer. I already decided I don't want the 009, but what distributer would be best for a 1973 bus with a single carburetor? I read that the 1973 should have a DVDA? Not sure about anything though.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have gone to a not stock carburetor you might as well use a SVDA distributor as you will not have all the correct hook ups for the DVDA distributor.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy this one all set up for a weber progressive an get the petronics installed by them.

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=IGD0001&cartid=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shanedante0917
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you buy one like that with an electronic ignition?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you buy one like that with an electronic ignition?

Randy in Maine wrote:
an get the petronics installed by them.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record they are a "points replacement module", not really a true electronic igniton.

But that is what you want to have so that you don't have to fuss with points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SVDA or DVDA Reply with quote

Shanedante0917 wrote:
Okay, so when I went buy the local Volkswagen mechanic. They overlooked everything and he said I was going to want to change my distributer to an electronic ignition, so I was looking how to do that up and I have been noticing a lot of the 009, SVDA or DVDA distributer. I already decided I don't want the 009, but what distributer would be best for a 1973 bus with a single carburetor? I read that the 1973 should have a DVDA? Not sure about anything though.

Take a picture of your carb and post it. Pay special attention to what vacuum nipples it has.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you have gone to a not stock carburetor you might as well use a SVDA distributor as you will not have all the correct hook ups for the DVDA distributor.

I thought the vacuum retard ports on the carbs were just bellow the throttle plates, which is just the intake manifold vacuum, right?

So, if you are using carbs that do not have the retard port, won't connecting the retard line to an intake manifold have the same effect?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I thought the vacuum retard ports on the carbs were just bellow the throttle plates, which is just the intake manifold vacuum, right?

So, if you are using carbs that do not have the retard port, won't connecting the retard line to an intake manifold have the same effect?

By correct hook up I would be meaning the correct vacuum single. I suspect with some carbs using the DVDA dizzy would be plug and play, while with others most people would never get the idle and progression correct. The carb and dizzy have to work well together for the engine to run well across the board.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
For the record they are a "points replacement module", not really a true electronic ingintion.

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Must be false advertising.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Vanapplebomb wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

By correct hook up I would be meaning the correct vacuum single. I suspect with some carbs using the DVDA dizzy would be plug and play, while with others most people would never get the idle and progression correct. The carb and dizzy have to work well together for the engine to run well across the board.

So for something like an IDF that plays well with svda distributors, it should then also play well with the dvda if the retard line is hooked to the intake manifold ?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:

So for something like an IDF that plays well with svda distributors, it should then also play well with the dvda if the retard line is hooked to the intake manifold ?

A DVDA distributor is going to require that the carb pass more air at idle than what would be required with a SVDA dizzy. If this requires opening the throttle plates too far, you may get a bog coming off idle. I can't say how it will work, but can say that most people don't try to make it work.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Vanapplebomb wrote:

A DVDA distributor is going to require that the carb pass more air at idle than what would be required with a SVDA dizzy. If this requires opening the throttle plates too far, you may get a bog coming off idle. I can't say how it will work, but can say that most people don't try to make it work.

The 34pict3 had a hole drilled in the throttle plate for this reason. Perhaps that could be drilled out on your setup?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Vanapplebomb wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

That's a crap shoot these days. Plenty of those out there who went and ponied up for an SVDA to run with their IDF's and found out the vacuum side has no effect rendering them to what's essentially a 009.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pertronix distributors perhaps? I know a lot of people have had issues with the advance on them... Never heard of anyone having that sort of trouble with other distributors.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: