Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake job?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how i've done rear axle nuts for 20 years........I have the torque meister as well , but still prefer this way.( the TM is much more civil for the gland nut though Cool ) which ever way you decide , that will be the hardest part.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is a pic of my recent brake job for constructive reference. I would suggest Kymco brand 'shoes'

EvileNV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big part of owning these cars is doing the work yourself! I love it, even when it's tricky, they really are simple and ingenious cars Very Happy
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:

I can't believe I've never thought about using a jackstand like that!!! Will definitely do it next time a drum has to come back off.

Also if you don't have a torque wrench, you can use a breaker bar + your weight and apply the torque that way. 200 pounds on the end of a 12" breaker bar is 200 ft-lbs! (Torque on that nut is 260# I believe)
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
swavananda wrote:

I can't believe I've never thought about using a jackstand like that!!! Will definitely do it next time a drum has to come back off.

Also if you don't have a torque wrench, you can use a breaker bar + your weight and apply the torque that way. 200 pounds on the end of a 12" breaker bar is 200 ft-lbs! (Torque on that nut is 260# I believe)

yea huh! that jackstand trick works good for supporting the wrench to stand on

hold on to something cause when the wrenches start breaking it can send you flying to the ground
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: