Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finding the correct middle row seat belts for my 71 Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Finding the correct middle row seat belts for my 71 Bus Reply with quote

I can't seem to even find the incorrect ones, much less the "correct" ones.

I have been looking for a while.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding the correct middle row seat belts for my 71 Bus Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I can't seem to even find the incorrect ones, much less the "correct" ones.

I have been looking for a while.

X2 brother. i have been on it for almost a year now (for my 70)

i think the middle row seat belts belong in the rarest of the rare thread. it is straight up insane how hard they are to find.

the closest i came was interstate vw. diane quoted me 75 for the pair. i couldn't get my credit card out fast enough. she called me back 2 days later and said "they are in a container. we need to sort thru them, so it may be a while"

after bi-weekly calls, i just gave up. none of the usual suspects have them either.

i have 1 late bus female. have no idea where i got it, but evidently it's worth gold.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny that I was digging around in all the factory seat belts I have collected. I seem to be obsessed. Very Happy
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked all over for something new that would work on a middle transporter seat. Eventually, I gave up, and shelled out $150 for a pair of original belts in the classifieds here. Ouch. But, I must have seat belts. Razz
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have some. I was collecting Baywindow middle seats and belts for awhile for my '66 Splitty. They're yours if they are the correct length.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a pic of them and if they work let's do business!

Ian wrote:
I think I have some. I was collecting Baywindow middle seats and belts for awhile for my '66 Splitty. They're yours if they are the correct length.

djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/accessories/accessories/seat_belt.cfm

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a good option but I'd like original belts though I may end up going this route.
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
Yes it's a good option but I'd like original belts though I may end up going this route.

Uh oh, now the bay window police are gonna chime in and tell you how using 40 year old seatbelts leads to imminent DEATH!! Razz Laughing

I have originals in mine too. When I do decide to replace I'm going with the Wolfsburg West belts. $22 a set is gonna add up fast for my 8 seater Clipper, small price to pay for safety, I guess.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, unless the seat belt has been "stretched" or weakened with chemicals, they should still be good.

Of course, I bet if most people were in an accident and strapped into the middle row the entire seat would probably come unbolted due to rust or bad hardware!

Maybe it's time just to bite the bullet and buy new belts?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got generic aftermarket belts in the middle seat on the 71 (black plastic covered buckles and pushbutton release), they came with it and the kids and all my other passengers find them easier to use than the real deal belts in the very back, smooth fast adjustment and easy to release, those OG belts are really skill testing for people who never lived in the 70's.
I've got a real deal set stashed away for when I do a refresh on the bus, I'll have to post a pic in the rarest thread apparently Smile

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are the black latch with the white lever to open them. I have them for the back row and at a VW show I saw a Bus with them in the middle row.

I like keeping people "stuck" in the 70s sometimes!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdh68dlux wrote:
When I do decide to replace I'm going with the Wolfsburg West belts. $22 a set is gonna add up fast for my 8 seater Clipper, small price to pay for safety, I guess.

how about i buy you all your WW belts in exchange for your middle seat lap belts? i am serious too. p/m me if you're interested

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post part numbers I'll poke around my stash, I don't know if I could tell the difference between middle and rear belts.
72 Baja
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a photo of the correct 71 belts?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
If you post part numbers I'll poke around my stash, I don't know if I could tell the difference between middle and rear belts.

the part numbers are difficult to sort through.

from the middle seat rant thread

busdaddy wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
speaking of seatbelts, what are the correct lengths of the center seatbelts?

Fully extended to maximum fat guy mode they are 73" from bolt hole to bolt hole, the non adjustable end with the female buckle is 21".

the telltale signs are:

90* attachment points
plastic sleeve part of the belt assembly, presumably to prevent chafing of the seat material (where the belt paases between the back and bottom)

i too have been through all of my belts, and i have some late ones i could offer someone in need, but if i can't find the correct ones for my bus, i will cut them up and rework them to the earlier belt design.

and don't go get all seatbelt nazi on me....if i wanted safe, i would drive a XC90...this is purely for display.

like i tell my wife, seatbelts in a bus are only there for an open casket funeral service...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
like i tell my wife, seatbelts in a bus are only there for an open casket funeral service...

Nice. That reminds me about what we used to say about using hardhats on the rig floor of a drill ship I used to work on. Accidents there could be really nasty. The hardhats are there just to help contain the mess. Sad
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ well, it's kind of true, right? i honestly don't expect to live to talk about a head on in a bus. that said, if i do end up living, there is a .45 in my sock drawer Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Aville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys ever thought of having an upholstery shop just do a refresh of the belts with the original hardware? Then it will give you the best of both worlds, original look and some extra safety. Just a thought.

Is anyone aware of pics of the middle and back seat seatbelt bolt placement for a 71, can't seem to find it in the search.

(Chabanis or Skills if either of you are still looking for original seatbelts I have my original front bench belts that I'll send you for the price of shipping. PM me if your interested.)

'71 tin top
'91 tin top
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will pass on the belts

as far as getting a shop to alter seat belts, ain't gonna happen. they don't want to screw with that stuff. i could get it done if i needed to, but i found a set on ebay so i am all set

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: