Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does your turn signal housing rotate on the column?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunshinedaydream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. In addition, my bro broke a screw so I only have one in place. Anyone know how to remove a broken screw?

Also, my turn signal arm moves quite a bit inside the housing. Not sure where the right screws are....anyone know what size/length they are? Toolong and it doesn't move right, too short and it moves too much... Sad
sunshinedaydream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asked my mechanic and he told me:

take out the plate inside the switch housing and rest it on a flat hard surface like an upside down U. And tap the top...that's it...he did it to mine and it worked like a charm! I guess that it ends up wearing slightly out of shape and that sets it straight again.

And THEN...he did a trick with the return signal. When you place it on the wheel, you need to tighten the screws a bit, at the same time (or a little to each back & forth) Then, pull it up the column and catch the groove sticking out under the wheel where it attaches to the column-(actually, it's a groove sticking in and not sure what the one sticking out is, but that's it) Rotate the wheel and see if it returns the signal. Then, it is the right height, tighten both screws at the same time.

I can't believe how great it works!!! Wanted to share...and he "wants people to know how to drive their bus"

Very Happy
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjosh67 wrote:
i have e-tape on mine. it doesnt move, and its cammo!!! Laughing i will try the cardboard when the tape gets crappy.

A true purist wouldnt do that.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshinedaydream wrote:
I have the same problem. In addition, my bro broke a screw so I only have one in place. Anyone know how to remove a broken screw?

You might have to drill it out and retap the housing. Careful, it's only pot metal.

sunshinedaydream wrote:

Also, my turn signal arm moves quite a bit inside the housing. Not sure where the right screws are....anyone know what size/length they are? Too long and it doesn't move right, too short and it moves too much... Sad

Screws to mount the switch to the housing are M3x12 (early models were M3x8), to mount the 2 pieces of housing together around the steering column are M4x12.
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
Screws to mount the switch to the housing are M3x12 (early models were M3x8)

what year is early? i have one bolt off a early '61 and one off a '67. they have different size heads and the lengths are different, but both went in easily. i believe the actual bolt was the same size.
iveedubbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our club bus has the same issue, I'll probably try the aluminum can deal and see how that works. Thanks all!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took another one apart yesterday and found a vintage fix; the pull ring part of a beer can pop top was stuck in there! I tried what sunshine's mechanic said to do, a tap on the metal half moon thing to take out a little of the round. Damn, it works! We don't need to be stuffing tape, innertubes, cardboard, asparagus rubber bands (!) or anything else in there any longer. Aparently, the clamping portion of the turn signal housing is the ring thing and not the housing itself.
All I can say is D'oh!
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a few wraps of e-tape on mine over 10 years ago. It just started moving again, so I move it gently. Next time I have the switch off and a spare 30 seconds it gets new tape.
thecrewcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years later.....just came across this thread.

Anybody have pictures of the half moon thing they are talking about? i would rather fix it the right way but sounds like i'll be rigging something up.

thanks in advance.

Eric Knight
'68 Camper Tin Roof
'68 Highroof (Vandito Burrito)
'71 Single Cab
'73 Bus (The Wagen Bar)
'65 Panel Brazilian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecrewcrew wrote:

Anybody have pictures of the half moon thing they are talking about? i would rather fix it the right way but sounds like i'll be rigging something up.

thanks in advance.

Here's a pic from the gallery. It's the metal piece... I also wrapped electrical tape around the column where that contacts and haven't had any slippage. I had put too much, so had to take some off till it fit. So mine's nice and tight...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inner tube on mine. Lined up the cancelling ring. Works just fine and doesn't rotate around the column.

Might try the "hammer the metal thingy" trick when I replace my steering box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the tape fix. But I drove the bus a lot and it always started to move around after a couple of months. Then I read that the best way to do it was to remove the small, right side part and sand down the contact area a little bit at a time until the fit is snug with no gap between the pieces. I put the sand paper on a piece of glass so it was dead flat.

The tape is barely noticeable on a black shaft but glaring on the white ones, IMHO. Take the time and fix it right.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
I have done the tape fix. But I drove the bus a lot and it always started to move around after a couple of months. Then I read that the best way to do it was to remove the small, right side part and sand down the contact area a little bit at a time until the fit is snug with no gap between the pieces. I put the sand paper on a piece of glass so it was dead flat.

The tape is barely noticeable on a black shaft but glaring on the white ones, IMHO. Take the time and fix it right.

Hmm, my bus is my daily driver, and no issue. But I did put a lot on, wrapped the column and the half moon piece actually digs in to the tape, so thats prob why mine is ok.

I never noticed the tape to be honest, but my column is black. I just checked, and it is slightly visible, and as you said, would've stood out more on a white column. I think I could completely hide it under the housing if I just wrap it more carefully. Although, when it does loosen up on me, I'll probably do an actual fix instead of trying to hide the tape.
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a strip cut from one of those freebie rubber lid gripper thingys. The thickness is about right and the rubber grips.
thecrewcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
thecrewcrew wrote:

thanks in advance.

Here's a pic from the gallery. It's the metal piece... I also wrapped electrical tape around the column where that contacts and haven't had any slippage. I had put too much, so had to take some off till it fit. So mine's nice and tight...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the picture. I guess I will see what mine looks like when I take it apart.

Eric Knight
'68 Camper Tin Roof
'68 Highroof (Vandito Burrito)
'71 Single Cab
'73 Bus (The Wagen Bar)
'65 Panel Brazilian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misplaced my half moon thingy so I wrapped my column in electrical tape. No movement, but found the half moon thing the next day... still haven't put it back in, and it is probably missing again.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
I misplaced my half moon thingy so I wrapped my column in electrical tape. No movement, but found the half moon thing the next day... still haven't put it back in, and it is probably missing again.

It's with the carb jets. Razz
jslmc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your turn signal housing rotate on the column? Reply with quote

I am going to try a few things. I cut up some copper wire into little bits and dropped it in the housing for the half moon shaped clamp. I turned the clamp like an upside down U, and smacked it with a hammer on a flat concrete floor. I am going to apply some screw grab to the faces of the turn signal housing that make contact with the the steering column.(valve lapping compound should work the same way). Finally I am using Allen head screws to attach instead of the original flathead style. I will let you know if it works.
Well, it definitely worked well.
I am a fan of screw grab for a general all around helper with VW hardware. It saves screw heads for reuse and gives some extra confidence breaking free The rustyish bits. How I am just finding out about this stuff? It is pretty amazing. It is best to preemptively use it before you completely strip the hardware. Be careful as you can easily snap a 4mm screw with it. The turn signal switch housing was super loose with electrical tape on the column and around the housing. Now I can shake the whole front end suspension using the turn signal housing and it doesn’t budge. Works great! I expect over time the diamond grit may polish the steering column but it’s super tight, and I bet diamonds last longer than electrical tape.

Last edited by jslmc1 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your turn signal housing rotate on the column? Reply with quote

Best way I have done is to take the right half piece off the column. get some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, lay it on a very flat surface and then lightly move the right half piece across the 400grit. Doesn't take much, just enough off, for a nice snug fit.

good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddybus wrote:
Inner tube on mine. Lined up the cancelling ring. Works just fine and doesn't rotate around the column.

This worked for me also.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: