Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front disc brakes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigsp51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: front disc brakes Reply with quote

Is there a conversion available for the Thing to front disc brakes?
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Vw_thing_73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jbugs.com has em.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got mine from SoCal. AC industries

various thoughts out there. just installed mine. direct bolt on kit. easy installation. will need 15" rims though.

should be others out there that will fit stock but may be higher end of cost.

there are some other vw models that you can get parts from. I believe Ghia is one. some others here on site more knowledgeable on cross over parts.

so far like mine but very limited drive time since installation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine for ~10,000 miles, work well. From So. Cal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC industries here as well, from SoCal....
Very easy install, they work well.... ~5k miles....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

63ziggy wrote:
got mine from SoCal. AC industries

various thoughts out there. just installed mine. direct bolt on kit. easy installation. will need 15" rims though.

should be others out there that will fit stock but may be higher end of cost.

there are some other vw models that you can get parts from. I believe Ghia is one. some others here on site more knowledgeable on cross over parts.

so far like mine but very limited drive time since installation.

Since 15" rims are needed for a disc-brake equipped Thing, which type of 15" rims? I understand that the various VW models with 15" rims have different offsets and widths.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discs are in my future, I have a set of 15x4 bettle steelies and 15x6 centerline copies, my 14" stock wheels will be up for sale soon. Looked at jugs. Com no thing discs avaible? Will probably use AC ind set up
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSP (piersideparts.net) has disc brakes for 14" wheels. Check with your bank about a loan to buy them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FV195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear bearing done, test drive brakes bad, worked just need adjusted. Pushed me over the edge, discs will be ordered soon (with in the next week) install updates will be posted, look forward to stopping better
IBTHING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: DISC BRAKES Reply with quote

I have a 74 and have put EMPI disc brakes all the way around...best thing I have done...Hot VW magazine is a good resource for Thing parts...there are many available...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vacillated over this issue for over a year and pulled the trigger yesterday on a set of AC disc brakes. I had them drill rotors out to 14mm studs for my BTR's. I hope they are all they say they are. I will post the progress on my build page.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed the CSP brake kit. It is designed to be used with the stock 181 steel wheels. (I prefer the look of the stock wheels)

The components are very nice quality, and the installation was quick and easy with no snags. The front brakes are part of a work in progress, so I'll post additional info and photos as the project progresses.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I recently installed the CSP brake kit. It is designed to be used with the stock 181 steel wheels. (I prefer the look of the stock wheels)

Very nice. I figured the CSP set-up was nice because I had their shifter in my Super, and it was great.

A part of me wishes I had spent the extra dough. (Maybe, I'll swap front brakes again once I have done the other major projects. Technically, I'm a week and a half away from swapping them for the first time.)
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

They look very nice Mondshine. Thanks for posting

Can 14mm studs be pressed into them? The only option for the AC industries product is to have the screw and glue type studs. Not My 1st choice but my only choice since I cheaped out and went the AC way.
As little as I drive mine I couldnt justify the 4X price.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 14x1.5 lugs are threaded into the hubs on the CSP brakes. You can't see it in the photo I posted, but the hub is about 3/4" thick where the studs are located. The instructions warn against removing them; they are "loctited" in place. I am confident (for now) that they will stay put, provided they are properly torqued; I always use a torque wrench on wheel lugs.

Yes, the CSP brakes are a little expensive, but I have justified the expense (maybe rationalized would be more accurate) because I take some long drives in the Thing, and brakes are in the top three... Stereo, Steering, Stopping Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: