Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Balancing wide fives
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:

FWIW the dyna-beads work very well - but you can also pour in a couple ounces of copper BBs and have the same effect. Cheaper too. They tend to make a bit more noise but so what?

I'm ALL for doing things on the cheap, but here's the difference between the Dyna Beads and BB's.

The DynaBeads are SMALL! Less then a mm in diameter and they are ceramic. So each bead is much lighter in weight then a BB.

This allows you to install the DynaBeads directly through the valve stem once you take out the valve core. So they can be used in tires with tubes. A BB is 4.3mm diameter and won’t fit through the valve stem.

Then the light weight and hardness of the DynaBeads allows them to sort of jump easier then the heavier BB's do. That allows them to distribute themselves easier and faster to the areas of the tire where they are needed. And that is the main reason they will work much better then BB’s or the air soft pellets.
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Drscope, the beads make sense to me. 20 bucks per car is about the same cost as balancing with lead and I imagine when the tires wear out you can re-use the ceramic beads in the new set.
Marvin
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GA_Boy wrote:
Hey Drscope, the beads make sense to me. 20 bucks per car is about the same cost as balancing with lead and I imagine when the tires wear out you can re-use the ceramic beads in the new set.
Marvin

Unfortunately they run more then $20 a car. Most VW's use 3 oz per tire and with shipping costs, a 3oz. bag usually sells for $10 to $15 depending on your source.

You can reuse the ceramic beads but the hard part is going to be recovering them. I tell people these things are like fleas. If they get away from you they go EVERYWHERE!

I do have a small vacume that we have used a few times to recover them from automotive tires after breaking one bead. But on our gravity race cars and the bicycle guys, where we run tubes, we haven't had much luck in trying to recover them. If the tube is punctured you can get most of them, but if it explodes, they are lost. And if you are trying to get them out of a good tube to use them in something else, well good luck on that because the valve stem is just in the wrong place to be able to pour them out.!
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big plug here for the dyna beads. I just had my new Coker white walls installed on wide fives. I asked the tire place (Millars Hiway Tire, Canby- happy to give them a plug) if they used dyna beads. The guy looked a little surprised that I asked, but said, yes- they use them but usually on trucks. They had all kind of wondered how they would work on a small car. I have driven around on them for a couple weeks and they are amazing. They used 4 ounces per tire, I think. Ten bucks per, so no more than standard balancing.
2nd67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: soft shot Reply with quote

bought a harbor freight tire mount/bead breaker $44. 1/2 cup or approx 7 oz's of soft shot bb's from big five in each tire and did it all myself with "perfect" results. the tire shops wanted $100 to mount balance 4 tires!!. im determined that this bug project stays true to it's roots,simple, low budget, minimalist. of course i dont count the $4k i have allready got into this little jewel. i took it on it's first drive since i began this "resto driver 67" and it drives/runs/turns/stops great!!! what more could i ask for?.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know if you pack the tire full of airsoft beads, it would be in effect a run flat tire! Kind of heavy I reckon.

In WWII (that's World War Two for you youngsters) The Navy used sea planes, the planes of course had floats and floatation compartments, which if filled with holes from enemy fire, would cause the plane to sink in the water. There could be 100's of holes in the floats from near by flak or machine gun fire in one mission.

Someone had the bright idea to fill the floatation spaces in the seaplanes with ping pong balls. packed full of balls, only a small percentage of them would be burst when enemy rounds pass thru the float, hence the plane would still be able to float on landing.

One day a US table tennis company got a huge order from the Navy, They had to work overtime to fill the order, the ping pong factory workers, knowing the order was for the Navy figured the sailor's sure played a lot of ping pong when off duty!

for what it is worth.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: