Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baltimore, MD junkyard report.
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Baltimore, MD junkyard report. Reply with quote

I hit a few of the formerly crazy rays pick n pull junkyard locations around Baltimore this weekend.

Jessup MD location:
A 69 standard and a 74 sport beetle, both picked pretty clean.
The 69 has a set of pretty decent looking 8 spoke wheels and disc brake kit in the front.
The super had the tranny still.
There is a vanagon in there too but I forgot the year.

Hawkins point location:
Fairly fresh 68 giah that looks like it had a back seat fire.
Motor is still in it, I took the starter. Tranny still there. All the brake stuff is in there at least as of today.

Erdman ave location:
I couldn't find any older VW here.they have this yard too jam packed right now to move around easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I was at the Crazy Ray's in Mt Airy a couple weekends ago. There was one std baja bug and a very rusty late super, both picked pretty clean. No interiors, no good trim. I think the baja may have had a transaxle and it definitely had stock trailing arms and IRS axles. All in all, not much there.

I also stopped by Elwood's/Grimm's in Smithsburg MD. A handful each of std and super beetles and Ghias, but all very rusty and very picked over. Not worth the trip.

You said "formerly" crazy rays locations. Have they changed ownership?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Baltimore, MD junkyard report. Reply with quote

VW_Buggsy wrote:

Jessup MD location:
The 69 has a set of pretty decent looking 8 spoke wheels and disc brake kit in the front.
There is a vanagon in there too but I forgot the year........

When you stay at the Sleep Inn in Jessup (beside the pick n pull), this is your view when you open the curtains.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Baltimore, MD junkyard report. Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
VW_Buggsy wrote:

Jessup MD location:
There is a vanagon in there too but I forgot the year........

When you stay at the Sleep Inn in Jessup (beside the pick n pull), this is your view when you open the curtains.

Stayed there many times when down in Jessup for VW school. Good thing for that hotel that a lot of the people staying there are car guys.

Central Jersey VW Society
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are all owned by a company called "lkq pick your part" now but the signs still say crazy rays. I don't remember rays price sheet well enough to compare prices but the costs still seem pretty reasonable. I paid about:
$20 for an alternator
$20 for a starter
$15 per wheel for a set of steel sport wheels
$30 per seat for a set of front seats I'm going to try to use

And these prices include their "core charge" which I think is total bs at a last chance junk yard but whatever.

I wanted to get the 8 spoke wheels but I think they wanted like $75 each for aluminum wheels and that just seemed too much for them to me.
Ian M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Mt Airy Crazy Ray's about 2 years ago,there was a '64 beetle and a rusty picked over horizon blue '57 oval in the back. I took pics of the oval,I have them somewhere.
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the stuff that I find in there just amazes me. But I think I'd crap a pineapple if I found an oval in a pick n pull. Then I'd go buy a battery powered sawzall Smile

I think junk yard reports should be a regular posting here by the way. If y'all find old air cooled as your cruising the dc/Baltimore yards I know I'd love to hear about it!
The_Doctor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic! Thanks VW_Buggsy! I live on the eastern shore of MD and I've always heard of Crazy Rays but never had a chance to go.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to training at least once a year, and usually it's in MD. The Crazy Ray's there has a high turn around, but there always seems to be 1 or 2 aircooleds in there. I saw a westy vanagon, 69 bug, 70's vert, and even a 914 in that yard. They seem to get early mustangs too.

Central Jersey VW Society
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I happened to notice a 66 mustang colt in their Erdman ave location. My brother has a 67 and I may be trying to pull the windshield for him and ship it to Colorado.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my runnin driving Jeep Gran Cherokee to them about 6 weeks ago. The muffler and cat fell off about a year and a half ago and since she was so worn out I never fixed it properly. Just stuck a new muffler on the end of the head pipe and kept on driving. When it came time for emissions test I didn't want to mess with it anymore, so when they suspended the tags I returned them.

So we finally got around to loading the Jeep up on the trailer and driving it down to Hawkins Point. I had a buddy come help me and we used his truck to pull my trailer down there. Got it all unloaded and waited around for the fat chick to do all the paper work, signed a bunch of stuff and then she tells me they are only paying $350 because the exhaust has been tampered with.

WTF? The cat and muffler that fell off were in the back of the jeep but they stiffed me for $50 because it wasn't attached.

Never had this type of thing happen when it was Ray's.

It sucks its not the same anymore. But I guess they are still the best places around town to go when you need stuff.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Crazy Ray's about 2-3 weeks ago. On my way home I saw this at a VW shop right down the road on Hawkins Point, used to be Crazy George's VW. I finally contacted the owner and struck a deal last week. This was about 1.5-2 miles from Crazy Ray's. If anybody knows anything about it let me know! Should be on the road in the Spring.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like everyone is known as "crazy_____<fill in the blank" down there! Laughing
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richie6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Crazy Ray's Reply with quote

I know this post is old, but...

Does anyone know if you find a car that you want to purchase as a project, does Crazy Ray's do that?

I'm looking to purchase a VW to build/convert into a Dune Buggy? Even if the car is picked through, I need frame, tranny if possible, motor, etc..
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the general yard they do not sell complete cars.

Hawkins Point used to have a fenced in area out front and they would sell complete cars from there. But everytime I was there and asked about one the person I needed to deal with wasn't available. I've heard the same thing from several friends who used to frquent the yard.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Crazy Ray's Reply with quote

richie6 wrote:
I know this post is old, but...

Does anyone know if you find a car that you want to purchase as a project, does Crazy Ray's do that?

I'm looking to purchase a VW to build/convert into a Dune Buggy? Even if the car is picked through, I need frame, tranny if possible, motor, etc..

I was just at Crazy Ray's Hawkins Pt Rd picking parts with my neighbor for his Ford Truck back in February. I walked down each and every row and there were zero aircooleds on site. Now, that may change on a daily basis so I guess you never know. I would call Crazy Ray's. I would think they could not legally accept a vehicle without a title, but I could be wrong here.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: