Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bike rack help where do I find one?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonBaker wrote:
fred69vert dont hold out, lets see that bike Drool

Got no pics yet, I'll take some at the show this weekend

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Rowenjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack help where do I find one? Reply with quote

Thank you guys for ideas!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack help where do I find one? Reply with quote

Rowenjon wrote:

That right there is what every bike rack should be! I think any rear rack should be illegal. Can't tell you how many cars i've seen around where you can't see the brake lights. I know some states ticket now for it if you don't use aux lighting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodium11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack help where do I find one? Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
Rowenjon wrote:

[img][/img]
That right there is what every bike rack should be! I think any rear rack should be illegal. Can't tell you how many cars i've seen around where you can't see the brake lights. I know some states ticket now for it if you don't use aux lighting

Rear bike racks are fine for the 0.01% of us that set them up right. Not only is obstructing the lights illegal in most states, but covering the license plate as well. For me installing a roof rack was impractical as the bike I want to travel with is a 70+ pound behemoth e-bike made by Radpowered Bikes, so I installed a 2 inch trailer hitch on my Mk7 Golf TDI as well as the wire harness for the trailer lights, and ordered a souvenir license plate identical to what's on the car and mounted it to the back of the rack. The fun thing is that about a week after I got everything installed, the stars finally aligned and the first thing I used the tow hitch, lights, and plate for was to bring my new-to-me 1970 Vert the 300 miles home Wink
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bike rack help where do I find one? Reply with quote

Looks good Rowenjon!

sodium11 wrote:
MuzzcoVW wrote:
Rowenjon wrote:

[img][/img]

Rear bike racks are fine for the 0.01% of us that set them up right. Not only is obstructing the lights illegal in most states, but covering the license plate as well. For me installing a roof rack was impractical as the bike I want to travel with is a 70+ pound behemoth e-bike made by Radpowered Bikes, so I installed a 2 inch trailer hitch on my Mk7 Golf TDI as well as the wire harness for the trailer lights, and ordered a souvenir license plate identical to what's on the car and mounted it to the back of the rack. The fun thing is that about a week after I got everything installed, the stars finally aligned and the first thing I used the tow hitch, lights, and plate for was to bring my new-to-me 1970 Vert the 300 miles home Wink

Want to post a picture of how you think a rear bike rack should be setup?
Did you mount trailer lights to the bike rack?

On mine the rear tire does partially obscure the passenger tail light from certain angles, but the driver's is fully visible through the spokes.

I carried my bike daily pre-pandemic like that and never had an issue.

Did upgrade my tail lights to LED and added aux brake lights (bright red LEDs in '67 reverse light housings)
sodium11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bike rack help where do I find one? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
Looks good Rowenjon!

sodium11 wrote:
MuzzcoVW wrote:
Rowenjon wrote:

[img][/img]

Want to post a picture of how you think a rear bike rack should be setup?
Did you mount trailer lights to the bike rack?

On mine the rear tire does partially obscure the passenger tail light from certain angles, but the driver's is fully visible through the spokes.

I carried my bike daily pre-pandemic like that and never had an issue.

Did upgrade my tail lights to LED and added aux brake lights (bright red LEDs in '67 reverse light housings)

Nice Bug!, Nice Bike!, and that's one industrial bike rack! I like it!!!!

The photo below is of my Mk7 just after I installed the tow hitch and wanted to test how things fit, it's the only photo that I currently have. When I travel with that bike, there are some trailer lights that go on the ends of the horizontal bars, and on the back of the vertical bar I mounted a license plate holder and license plate. Technically in Virginia it is illegal to obscure your license plate, even with a bike rack, and I believe it's the same for the lights. Could the cops pull me over if I didn't do this? Sure. Would the cops pull me over if I didn't go overboard? Probably not, unless they really want to. The other reason I also went with the extra lights is if the weather was bad when I was driving I have a cover to put on the bike, and that would completely cover my lights.

I've only had my Bug a little over a month now so I'm not even sure if I'm going to set it up to haul a bike, right now it's been sorting a few things that previous owners did to it so that I can safely enjoy it around town before I take it apart this winter and give it the love it needs, which after today's tasks I know will include repairs to the luggage shelf. My little Beetle will be spending its time with me primarily within a 100 mile radius of my house, but that includes the ocean to the east, mountains to the west, and family to the north. But if I do decide to add a hitch for a bike rack, I'll be circling around to your photos to get an idea of what I'll need to do Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: