Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our Ambitious Karmann Ghia Project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Our Ambitious Karmann Ghia Project Reply with quote

After quite a bit of investigation and at least one false start, my son and I are embarking on our project Ghia. If we achieve nothing more than us both having a great time together building something we're both proud of, it'll be a worthwhile endeavor, but we have a great deal more in mind. We hope to take a generic later-model Ghia and transform it into something more modern both mechanically and aesthetically, while retaining the Ghia's classic charm and appeal. We'll tip the scales towards performance as opposed to comfort, with the intent to build a streetable car that feels right at home on the track.

Key elements of our plan include:

- Subaru EZ30R powerplant and 5 speed gearbox
    - Mendeola suspension both front and rear
    - Racetrack ready braking and safety systems

I've put together a build site (http://krzykg.wordpress.com) which details what we've got planned. I'll use the site to document our progress in detail and add summary updates in this thread. I look forward to interacting with you all, picking your brains, addressing your comments and making good use of all the great info and build ideas I've already plucked from "The Samba". The time for lurking is over. Very Happy It's time to get serious Shocked and to move Arrow.
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DorianL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noslzzp wrote:
Oh dear. Smile

x2 Cool
cracker666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X3 oh no Rolling Eyes

One word= WHY
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cracker666 wrote:
X3 oh no Rolling Eyes

One word= WHY

This is why (the evil laugh at the end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fjt3cUpVY

KGKrzy, time to move your thread to ShopTalkForums.com. Much more understanding crowd. Smile

+1 on the build, btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cracker666 wrote:
X3 oh no Rolling Eyes

One word= WHY

Why? Why is a really broad question. Why use a Suby driveline? Why change the Ghia's bodywork? Why not just go buy a Vette? I'm happy to give specific answers to any of such specific "why" questions, but I guess the general answer is that in my mind, a "build car" is supposed to match the personality and sensibilities of its owner/builder, and the car I've described on my build site matches mine.

Side story: When I was 8 years old, my Mom bought an old upright piano for our family. It had once had a very ornate, carved front panel over the soundboard, but a prior owner had sanded down the carvings, making an otherwise valuable piano pretty worthless. My mom painted it orange. Everyone was shocked. How could you paint such a beautiful instrument orange? If it had been in its original, rare and somewhat valuable condition, my mother would have restored it like new. Given that it was no longer rare nor valuable, she saw fit to make it fit the decor in our bonus room. I never liked the color, but I understood why she felt free to paint the canvas as she saw fit.

When the day comes that "I strip away the old debris" that hides this shining car...:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...I'll show deference to the automotive gods and be sure to treat it with the reverence it deserves by keeping it as Enzo himself would have kept it. With a 71 Karmann Ghia, I think a little latitude is a good thing. Nuf' said.
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noslzzp wrote:
cracker666 wrote:
X3 oh no Rolling Eyes

One word= WHY

This is why (the evil laugh at the end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fjt3cUpVY

KGKrzy, time to move your thread to ShopTalkForums.com. Much more understanding crowd. Smile

+1 on the build, btw.

...and a hearty congrats to you for bringing your own personal "Frankenstein's Monster" to life. I look forward to that moment on my build off in the hopefully not too distant future.
TheGhia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna do this so bad but dont have the funds right now being in high school! Maybe one day... Cool With a build like this your bound to piss off the purists haha. Go for it!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGhia74 wrote:
With a build like this your bound to piss off the purists haha. Go for it!

It will be expensive and take along time. Many have started with grand schemes, given up along the way, left parts scattered and taken only a realisation that the path is difficult. It would be unfair to be pissed off about that. Maybe regret that a Ghia got wasted.

However, if carried through to completion a customisation can be wonderful. We all enjoy the Bader Racing Ghia and there are many more like it worthy of admiration.

Go for it and keep the momentum going to the finish! Cool

I can only suggest getting the body work to primer stage should be the highest priority to compete. It is easy to get distracted with shiny ideas and forget the fundamentals. The false start tells me you already know that. Smile

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Ambitious Karmann Ghia Project Reply with quote

KGKrzy wrote:
After quite a bit of investigation and at least one false start, my son and I are embarking on our project Ghia. If we achieve nothing more than us both having a great time together building something we're both proud of, it'll be a worthwhile endeavor, but we have a great deal more in mind. We hope to take a generic later-model Ghia and transform it into something more modern both mechanically and aesthetically, while retaining the Ghia's classic charm and appeal. We'll tip the scales towards performance as opposed to comfort, with the intent to build a streetable car that feels right at home on the track.

I've put together a build site (http://krzykg.wordpress.com) which details what we've got planned. I'll use the site to document our progress in detail and add summary updates in this thread. I look forward to interacting with you all, picking your brains, addressing your comments and making good use of all the great info and build ideas I've already plucked from "The Samba". The time for lurking is over. Very Happy It's time to get serious Shocked and to move Arrow.

I can supply all the Key elements Wink

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ambitions are clearly limited by your wallet and actual skill set. I personally am budget restricted as to how far or creative I can go with my 70 ghia. Over 2 years in counting and I have yet to finish my car....

Though in 2 years I have accomplished:

Completely replaced both floor pans
All new brake components
All new suspension
Removed all signs of rust by:
replacing inner quarters, heater channels, rocker panels, battery tray, etc.
Body is pretty much at final point before complete 2k primer and paint.

All work has been completed by my Father and myself. I have literally saved anywhere from 5-10k in bodywork and paint.

In one of my guest bedrooms, I have close to 3k in parts: new rubber seals for whole car front to back, carpet kit, door panels, engine tins, and the list goes on and on......

Trust me if money wasn't an issue it would probably have been road worthy over a year ago.....
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, have you seen this one?

http://www.basilari.com
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
OP, have you seen this one?

http://www.basilari.com

Yes... if you check my build site, you'll find it littered with pictures of the work that Keith and Kevin have done on the Basilari 306R. I'll be following the same recipe with many of the same ingredients, but with a few "secret herbs and spices" to ensure that my car has a unique flavor all its own. I'll also be doing my own engine prep, though I'll farm out most of the machine work. My pockets are quite possibly not as deep as Keith's, but I have the money I need to purchase most of the big pieces up front, so I'll have plenty of toys to play with.

In any case, thanks for the heads up, ivwshane.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Some day I'll have my own custom subi ghia powered thread too;)
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRNKNSTNGHIA wrote:
Your ambitions are clearly limited by your wallet and actual skill set. I personally am budget restricted as to how far or creative I can go with my 70 ghia. Over 2 years in counting and I have yet to finish my car....

Though in 2 years I have accomplished:

Completely replaced both floor pans
All new brake components
All new suspension
Removed all signs of rust by:
replacing inner quarters, heater channels, rocker panels, battery tray, etc.
Body is pretty much at final point before complete 2k primer and paint.

All work has been completed by my Father and myself. I have literally saved anywhere from 5-10k in bodywork and paint.

In one of my guest bedrooms, I have close to 3k in parts: new rubber seals for whole car front to back, carpet kit, door panels, engine tins, and the list goes on and on......

Trust me if money wasn't an issue it would probably have been road worthy over a year ago.....

Your right that my ambitions are somewhat limited by both my wallet and by my skill set. Fortunately, I do have some money to get this party started, and I come to the party having built a few really nice muscle cars and a fair number of high performance street and racing engines, including both VW and Subaru H4's, so I'll save time and money on the powerplant build.

In one respect, I am at square one, since I am actually in the process of acquiring a 'new' Ghia to serve as the platform for this build. On the other hand, I have a clear blueprint for what I want to do and enough money to purchase many of the major pieces up front, which should hopefully give my son and I enough parts and components to work on for a long time to come.
KGKrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Our Ambitious Karmann Ghia Project Reply with quote

coolrydes wrote:
KGKrzy wrote:

I can supply all the Key elements Wink

Be careful what you wish for! Oh, and check your email.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Ghia forum is MUCH more accepting of modification than other forums such as the Beetle Split/prewar forum is.

We have seen many modifications done to these and many are good. The supply isn't as finite as the original Beetles but the numbers are indeed dwindling!

I'll be honest,
It does pain me a bit to see an old valuable low light hacked into someones personal vision of "cool". I see many dollars spent, never to be recovered. A car hacked, never to see it's old life again.

But alas, it is theirs to do with as they see fit.

So relax, there will be no mobs with pitchforks descending upon your garage!

Engine swaps? The Vanagon forum is FULL of them! Porsche, subarau, Ford, VW, Diesel, to name just a few.
You may even browse there and see what is done and how, there is a whole sticky for engine swaps.

Keep us posted as you destroy yet another pristine Ghia! Wink

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I'll be honest,
It does pain me a bit to see an old valuable low light hacked into someones personal vision of "cool". I see many dollars spent, never to be recovered. A car hacked, never to see it's old life again.

Wait, you mean the valuable old low light that sat in an Arizona desert for years with a smashed up rear end? Or maybe the *completely* rusted lower half, basket case low light with hacked up later model nostrils that sat in a farmer's field for 15 years (featuring the now vogue raccoon shit, horse hair interior)?

This mock "pain" of losing valuable low lights is pretty comical at times. If anything, most low lights are already "lost" as you put it, "never to see it's old life again". I actually saved one (although it's not your narrow definition of "saved") and put the second to good use. How many low lights have you saved? Purists should be ecstatic with the perception of dwindling inventory. You do understand the market dynamics, right?

And, as far as money goes, how many purists are in the business of flipping low lights? I sincerely doubt John Moxon would ever sell his beautiful car. So why not ask him how much money he'll never recover? If you think we are doing these builds or buying these cars to "recover" money then you have a poor understanding of return on investment and the desires of humans.

Sorry to vent..but this misconception about "destroying pristine Ghias" is a joke.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noslzzp wrote:
djkeev wrote:

I'll be honest,

Wait, you mean the valuable old low light that sat in an Arizona desert for years with a smashed up rear end? Or maybe the *completely* rusted lower half, basket case low light with hacked up later model nostrils that sat in a farmer's field for 15 years (featuring the now vogue raccoon shit, horse hair interior)?

This mock "pain" of losing valuable low lights is pretty comical at times. If anything, most low lights are already "lost" as you put it, "never to see it's old life again". I actually saved one (although it's not your narrow definition of "saved") and put the second to good use. How many low lights have you saved? Purists should be ecstatic with the perception of dwindling inventory. You do understand the market dynamics, right?

And, as far as money goes, how many purists are in the business of flipping low lights? I sincerely doubt John Moxon would ever sell his beautiful car. So why not ask him how much money he'll never recover? If you think we are doing these builds or buying these cars to "recover" money then you have a poor understanding of return on investment and the desires of humans.

Sorry to vent..but this misconception about "destroying pristine Ghias" is a joke.

To be honest, the next line of what he said, changed the entire meaning of what you quoted and jumped on .....

djkeev wrote:

Dave
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
noslzzp wrote:
djkeev wrote:

I'll be honest,

To be honest, the next line of what he said, changed the entire meaning of what you quoted and jumped on .....

djkeev wrote:

Dave

yeah so that's like being slapped by someone who immediately says "sorry, carry on, didn't mean it.". The point is, it's out there and in today's world perception is reality.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: