Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

confused on carbs
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: confused on carbs Reply with quote

Hello. I have a 67 square, stock engine and carbs. when the engine is idleing it does ok. whenever I get on it it will rev up and then bog out like no gas or something? I've messed with everything and am stumped( very pissed off Mad ). I can't even look at it now. I just get more pissed(mainly at my ignorance). I know I'm not being very detailed but if anyone can help that would be great. Thanks.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think weneed a little more info. That said, do you have a blue coil on it? If so, I think it might be getting ready to go. You might also want to check your mechanical advance, as that can affect timing at higher rev's. It's also possible that either a pump is going bad, or you've got some crap clogging a jet. This is what I mean by more info needed.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, I'd check that distributor is advancing.

Possible jet clogged.

Also make sure when you pump the gas in your driveway that the accelerator pumps are not leaking gas (on side of carb).
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rebuilt the carbs, put new igniton parts (regular 12v coil) on the car, different distributor, checked the valves, ect. I'll try rebuilding carbs again, and checking everything. It's kind of like when you run out of gas, but only one head does it at a time. Do fuel pumps fail at higher rpms? I've never had one quit on me, and I've heard there are different lenth of push rods for different fuel pumps is this true and how do I know I got the correct stuff? When at idle, it smells really rich. could I be getting too much gas dumped in some kind of flooding? Like I said, I'm really confused. Oh yeah I just remebered that when it does that gas shoots out the top of the carb. Would that be sticky valves or something? Sorry for all the late info.. Thankss again.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the fuel strainer screen in the bottom of the tank clogged?? The one on my '66 was when I bought it.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugginmiami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Never mess with a cat who smiles for his mug shot..he gives way less of a fuck than you do..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: