Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
airborndad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CV basics Reply with quote

jalper wrote:
When it comes to a extra cv joint=

I know a lot of people carry extra cv's I do to but I found when I went to change my cv joint I did not have all the tools, lucky for me camp was close, I am sure that this in a no brainer for some, but thought I would touch off on the subject

Latex or some kind of gloves, (heat Grease ect.)
12 Point or Allen socket
Small Braker Bar
Spiral Clip
Hammer, (sometimes the splines are chewed up)
extra boot
Anti Seize or Grease
Rags
extra bolts
extra balls
plastic bag for the greasy parts
more cloves (just incase you dont want to get the steering wheel dirty)

lot of good stuff here I think everyone covered just about everything
only thing I could add that I didn't see is
Fuses
carry an extra complete CV axle all greased up and ready to bolt on
also carry an extra tie rod with ends
Nick1390
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my buggy I carry, wire cutters, wire, black tape, screw drivers, and brake fluid... plenty of brake fluid... mine leaks like no other... lol

I always got my cell phone, and my dad has enough tools in the back of his truck, if I break down I can call him and he'll bring his "portal workshop" to me. haha I've never been out on dunes, I live in the piney woods of easy texas, so nothing his truck can't get to...

I don't use fuses, mine all hard wired in, if you look at my panel you would think its a dang mess, but it works and I wired it myself... haha no one could take off and steal it... got too many switched to turn on and stuff to even get it started...
I feel in love with my buggy when I was a kid, climbing on it, sitting in the seat acting like I was driving it. Now I'm 24, I've fixed it up and get to actually drive it... when its running... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525937&highlight=ending
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanner_122 wrote:
nobody said gun???
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

u never know whats out in the desert or the mountains

Its only fitting

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajaherbie wrote:
cellphone...

A cellphone with a full charge. I got stuck with my iPhone dead luckily my buddy had his.

Also don't go out alone or with just your car, always have back up.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebeetle63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: emergency kit Reply with quote

Am I the only one to ever think of carrying an entire spare engine with every part? It's just a stock 1600 hundred, but it would be better then a broken 1835 out in the woods. Laughing
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scard wrote:
bajaherbie wrote:
cellphone...

A cellphone with a full charge. I got stuck with my iPhone dead luckily my buddy had his.

Also don't go out alone or with just your car, always have back up.

I might add a Cell phone charger. Smile
Marvin
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: emergency kit Reply with quote

bluebeetle63 wrote:
Am I the only one to ever think of carrying an entire spare engine with every part? It's just a stock 1600 hundred, but it would be better then a broken 1835 out in the woods. Laughing

I might invest in this

KevinMc wrote:

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to disassemble enuff to put the pin back in my fuel pump on the side of the freeway today. Thank goodness the pin didn't fall out entirely. First time for this issue for me.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shared this on the Thing 181 thread but its worth a second mention here as well.

I don't go anywhere with out this little baby. It is just amazing how fast this cranks a vw engine. I jump started a Dodge Cummings diesel a few weeks ago leaving the driver with his jaw on the ground. Besides being able to jump your car several times with it it will also charge a wide verity of accessories like your cell phone and cameras flash lights etc. Don't leave home without it. It's saved my butt a few times! Because of its size and case it's been nick named the bible by my friends. I tell my son when there is a problem with a dead buggy to go and get the bible... Oh the looks are priceless. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajamike560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing MT, have seen different styles around.
Going to look more into them now that I have feedback.

Mike
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

Hey Im not just saying it, This thing is great! I start my shop forklift with it just about every day as well as lots a vehicles in my shop. Ive all but thrown away the combo jumper boxes that I was buying at Costco. Well worth the investment in my opinion. Nice thing is it charges either by 115Vac or the 12dc Aux Receptacle. If yo use it up on the trail just plug it in and its ready to go again in just a few miles.

Specs:
Start current 300A
Peak Start current 600A Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajamike560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

Were would a person find such a jewel like this?
I have a big yellow POS jumper box looking to replace it.

Side note, might want to "fix" the forklift so jump starting it often is not an issue, but gives bragging rites to the product. Razz

Mike
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

bajamike560 wrote:
Were would a person find such a jewel like this?
I have a big yellow POS jumper box looking to replace it.

Side note, might want to "fix" the forklift so jump starting it often is not an issue, but gives bragging rites to the product. Razz

Mike

Im just too lazy to work on the forklift. It just gets used in short spurts for a few weeks at a time then sits for weeks at a time. Seems every winter I need to buy a new battery for it... oh well?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=micr...zv_e[/url]
bajamike560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the jumper box, going to look more into it.

Mike
chappy89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

so i saw it mentioned before but didn't see much of a response. how is everyone mounting their spare/tool/emergency bags? i have a berrian warrior and real-estate is limited. any ideas . . . pics PLEASE lol
flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

I use a Hallibrton briefcase, similar to a Pelican box, about 15 '' sq x 5 high, mounted on the floor in front of the passenger seat for all the small tools and a small tool bag strapped to the side rails by the passenger seat for longer items. An ammo can is mounted up front for parts storage. And I carry camera stuff in a small Pelican case strapped to the rails on the drivers side. Currently, redoing my spare tire so it seats horiz above the engine, so on recreational trips I can strap a cooler on top of the spare.
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

Don't see it on anyone's list....

So this (blatantly stolen from a VW FB page):

The Colby Valve

Link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262929091746?rmvSB=true

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NASDG8V/
Armadillo1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

I know this isn't a carry along, but it sure would have its use if you found yourself in a predicament. If it's posted in the wrong area I apologize. https://www.google.com/search?q=making+a+flip+flop...#kpvalbx=1
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

I think that's a very GOOD addition to this thread. The logs are obviously NOT going to be packed in the back of your Baja Bug. But the rope and a saw, such as say, a folding saw or a bow saw...a hatchet, MAYBE even an axe.

Yep. Good stuff. Cool

In doing a 4 wheel drive trail in the Sierras back in the 70s with my Baja Bug, I needed to lever my Baja off a rock. In that event, I used a fallen log about as big around as my bicep as a lever against the side of my tow strap which was tied to the Baja bumper and to a live tree so that it was taught. Then pushing against the side of that strap with the small log wedged against a boulder in the ground made it easy to move my car in the direction I needed.

My Jeeper buddy who was along insisted that I needed a 4x4 with a winch to get the Bug out of that situation.

NAAHHH!!!! Wink
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Reply with quote

So how are people carrying their tools in their Baja? I guess it is dependent on what you carry… I have been using this little tool box

More pics here: https://robonza.com/beetle/index.php/2023/11/21/tool-storage-for-your-baja-bug/

Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: