Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a dash pad for first time
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trox1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Installing a dash pad for first time Reply with quote

I know I will get the "go out and buy 'this' book" with some replys. BUT, I'm trying to install a dash pad in my 69 Sqr. It never had a pad so I didn't take one off. I notice that there are big holes and little screw holes. I will search for some screws that fit this but, what are the bigger holes for? I also think I saw somewhere that along the windshield there are metal bars that get screwed in, right? I don't think I have these either.

Also, how do I disconnect the hood opener from the glove box in order to remove the glove box so that I can replace it?

Thanks in advance.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a dash pad for first time Reply with quote

trox1 wrote:
I know I will get the "go out and buy 'this' book" with some replys. BUT, I'm trying to install a dash pad in my 69 Sqr. It never had a pad so I didn't take one off. I notice that there are big holes and little screw holes. I will search for some screws that fit this but, what are the bigger holes for?

The larger holes are for the trim clips, that also hide the screws. You didn't mention whether you bought one of those "new" repops, but if you did, be prepared to fight it to get it to go on. Also just as a warning, it'll never fit correctly. As it's really made for the 71 to 73 body style, and they don't fit very well on them either. Evil or Very Mad BTDT!!

Quote:
I also think I saw somewhere that along the windshield there are metal bars that get screwed in, right? I don't think I have these either.
Thanks in advance.

Not that I'm aware of, and I've worked on several different model year type3s over the years. You might want to crawl around under the dash to familiarize yourself, as you'll have to pull the guages out to get the pad to fit. You can do a search on dash pads here, as I know I did a write a year or so ago for someone else. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
trox1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy a new one. The one I have is either the one that was originally on the car or another used one that my dad picked up through the years.
Are the trim clips similar to the ones that hold the door panels on? I will be going to the VW parts store today I will ask them what they know. The two guys there aren't the most energetic in the world. Hopefully they will know something.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trox1 wrote:
I didn't buy a new one. The one I have is either the one that was originally on the car or another used one that my dad picked up through the years.
Are the trim clips similar to the ones that hold the door panels on? I will be going to the VW parts store today I will ask them what they know. The two guys there aren't the most energetic in the world. Hopefully they will know something.

OK, you've got a good chance of success. Very Happy The trim clips are all by themselves, and aren't used anywhere else on the car. They look kinda like an "X" but with a hairpin built into one end. Kinda hard to decsribe, but you'll need 7 I believe (2 on the drivers side of the dash, and 4 or 5 I can't remember) on the passenger side. Maybe someone here can post a pic of one. Rolling Eyes As for the parts guys, this is something you'll have to get used to until you teach them what you've got isn't a bug. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
carbine2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are metal bars along the windshield side of the dash pad on some cars, but I don't think you need them to install. They seem to act as a clamp to keep the screws from pulling through. They are shaped to fit around the fresh are vents. Out of 13 Type3 cars I've had, only about three of them had those.

Allen Thompson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: