Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...hopefully getting back to work on the 412 this month...work's been way crazy, lots of trips to Denver and/or KSC since I last posted. Also, lots of fun and games with family cars...

The Subaru got rear-ended by a 17 year old crazy Austin, TX driver, so the 02 Intrepid took its place, then it got totaled by a taxi driver not paying attention (never drive in Austin, TX, it's just too risky)...but fortune smiled on us, and my twins are now driving an 04 Golf TDI. We've also bought a CPO 09 Jetta Sport Wagon 2.5L, since we were running low on driveable cars Sad .

Today, went out and pulled the turn signals, those front lenses are waaay too rare nowadays, I realized one dropped part on that end of the car, I'd be looking for another lens yet again. Also started scoping out the rear fender R&R, need to get in there and paint the inside of the rear fender/air intake area. Going to use self-etching primer and New Ford Gray engine enamel, for heat and fuel/oil spill resistance.

Been thinking about how to upgrade the A/C condenser system, maybe be able to remove the "chin spoiler" condenser entirely, also how to upgrade the alternator to get closer to 80A at idle vice the 55A alternator's puny ~20A at idle, or the "big" 70A alternator's ~30A. With A/C, I really need more like 60A at idle to charge the battery and run headlights, etc. Hopefully, more to come.
73 VW 412 (the Nomad, dropped valve seat land now, argh!)
67 MGB (Built-In Rust from Abingdon)
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
2009 JSW 2.5 (love it, love it, love it!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

Well, the 2004 Golf TDI got totalled here in Houston last year, an insurance-less driver ran a stop sign...time off to find another car, etc. So, it's time to get back to work on Nordhoff's Nomad! I see Ray has been busy with ball joint and strut work...Smile

This will be a total rebuild, take the front end out and drop the gas tank, patch up a few pinholes, strip and repaint, reseal the auto trans, rebuild the engine...I hope it's not another 7 years off the road Sad
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

anglodeutsch4 wrote:
Well, the 2004 Golf TDI got totalled here in Houston last year, an insurance-less driver ran a stop sign...time off to find another car, etc. So, it's time to get back to work on Nordhoff's Nomad! I see Ray has been busy with ball joint and strut work...Smile

This will be a total rebuild, take the front end out and drop the gas tank, patch up a few pinholes, strip and repaint, reseal the auto trans, rebuild the engine...I hope it's not another 7 years off the road Sad

Very Happy ...good to see you! We are at approximately the same point! Laughing
Ray
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

The TDIs are such an awesome dependable fuel efficient car. Sad to here of the loss, we have lost 2 as well to accidents.

I am curious as to what makes your 412 a "Nomad" as compared to a square back? I looked for a picture of the car but maybe missed it?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

The Nomad was a relatively rare 2-door station wagon. Almost all other American wagons were 4-door.

But being VW, isn't it a Nein-mad?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The Nomad was a relatively rare 2-door station wagon. Almost all other American wagons were 4-door.

And to be clear.....he means American car wagon. All of the 411 and 412 wagons were 2 door......just didn't want anyone tearing ariund beating the bushes for the rare four door 411/412 wagon! Wink
Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

I saw a guy who grafted together a mid-60s 4-door Chevelle station wagon to a same-year El Camino to make a more modern "Nomad." It had a custom license plate "1 2DOOR". curiously, this ad for a '64 looks just like it. Hmmm....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm waiting for someone to graft together a 4-door Type 4 wagon... that would be an awesome sleeper (not performance, but practicality)!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

Ah! Ok then! Yes my 411 square back is a 2 door as well. So all wagons were? I wasn't aware of that, just didn't pay attention. Then all the fast back/sedans were 4 door?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Ah! Ok then! Yes my 411 square back is a 2 door as well. So all wagons were? I wasn't aware of that, just didn't pay attention. Then all the fast back/sedans were 4 door?

Very Happy ...nope!.....they made these chassis:

411 and 412 2 door fastback sedan
411 and 412 4 door fastback sedan
411 and 412 2 door wagon with back hatch

The 2 door sedan was not sold in the US. It was special order/gray market only and only came with a four speed manual transmission and D-jet injection. As far as I can tell they shipped about 2400 total.

Most type 4 cars in Canada came with optional manual or auto trans ao there are more manual transmissions there than here. All three body styles were available in various places in Europe in various trim. Ray
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The TDIs are such an awesome dependable fuel efficient car. Sad to here of the loss, we have lost 2 as well to accidents.

I am curious as to what makes your 412 a "Nomad" as compared to a square back? I looked for a picture of the car but maybe missed it?

Sorry to hear that too. Yeah, the 04 was a Pumpe Duse 1.9L with 250K miles on it and a relatively recent 5-speed auto overhaul (ARGH!). It got ~30 MPG in Houston traffic and ran like a scalded dog.

As for the Nomad name...I dubbed my 412 Variant "Nordhoff's Nomad" when I got it. Seemed appropriate, since the Chevy version was a 2-door also. TV shop owner I worked for had a 50's Chevy Nomad as the company car for years, BTW, so It fit for me.
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

[quote="raygreenwood"]
KTPhil wrote:

Very Happy Only now that it sits in the garage, awaiting the loving ministrations of its owner and mechanic!
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

Latest...I got the Eberspaecher BA4 out from under the midbody, so I can assess for stripping and repainting up under there.

Looking like I do need to do a bit of stripping, and I'm going to repaint with engine enamel like I did in the engine bay, it held up very well over the ~8 years the car was on the road.

I decided to start with those things I can, small victories, low-hanging fruit and all that. Repainted the Eber (again, did it in 2004 with Duplicolor New Ford Gray engine enamel, was showing a few rust spots), and am working up a new wiring harness, and a couple other mods to make the Eber easier to troubleshoot and operate. Making a solid-state ignition amp box and fuel pump amp box to offload those unobtanium points in the combustion air blower. Frankengrafted a late Bus AEG hot air blower motor onto the Type 4 Variant single-outlet blower scroll housing, to get more airflow. It's the one that needs a dropping resistor to slow it down to the same air output as the original stock blower in the 72-76 buses and the Type 4's. Cleaned the commutators in the hot air and combustion air blower motors, and oiled the motor bushings. I'm going to work up a Ray-style monograph on what I'm doing for the Eber, sort of an overhaul how-to with pictures, target to write it up while I'm off for Christmas. In the meantime, reply to this thread if you'd like more details.
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

Our TDIs both got 55 to 57miles/imperial gal. on the highway. The '02 we have now is consistently 60 to 62mpg. No idea around town as we don't live in town, pretty addictive with today's fuel prices!

Carry on with the "Nordhoff's Nomad"!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

I just talked my best friend out of his C series AMG Mercedes.....and he has joined the "dark side"....and just bought a 2017 GTI last night at my suggestion.

He is ecstatic in how it drives....equal to his Mercedes in fit and finish, blows it away in handling and overall performance....and eclipses his former Honda S2000.....and it gets 34 on the highway!

VW needs to pay me commission! Laughing Ray
anglodeutsch4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Progress on the Nomad (my 412 wagon) Reply with quote

I can see that Ray.

We absolutely LOVE our 2009 JSW. It has the engine all the Vortex crowd love to hate, the 2.5L 5, but we get 30 MPG at 75 MPH, and consistently 26 around town, and it has PLENTY of pep. The handling is superb, and we've done multiple 16 hour trips in it...the seats are outstanding. It has its flaws (pano sunroof drain tube leaks, now PERMANENTLY fixed no thanks to the dealer and VW!), but the good far, far outweighs the bad.

VW has done a great job with their recent offerings, yep. Cool
2002 NB TDI (40 MPG)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: