Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Puma GTe 1600
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New seats! Factory correct optional clothing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
PumaGTe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks sweet, I just love the original seats, the look great and are very comfy.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotea / PumaGTe - Guys those are sweet rides. I have a 1987 GTC which I just purchased for the second time. The first time I bought it was in 1989 before the internet and I didn't even know about the GTe body styles. In the last year as I have been researching Puma information as I begin my second go around with this car I found out about the GTe and fell in love with it. While I wouldn't trade my GTC for one, I WANT one. Well we will see what the future holds.
PumaGTe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car looks very clean. So you bought the same car twice lol.

There are a couple of GTE's for sale in Europe at the moment, at around 17.000 US dollars. I have no idea of the value of these cars in the US.

Great website is www.pumaclassic.com.br enough to keep your reading for a couple of months, and lot's of pics.

I use google chrome so it will translate automaticly, bit easier to read Smile

Can't wait to drive my car again, but a new law states I can't drive it dec-jan-feb if I use and insure it as a classic car.

Cheers,
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTEs will go from $5000 to about $20,000 depending on the car and more importantly the Buyer.
Yeah if I do a antique plate I am restricted to weekend only drives so I just pay the extra $50 bucks to be able to drive anytime.
autobutcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I thought I share some pictures of my current project to get this thread alive again.
Living in the UK and having RHD cars, I was lucky enough to find a South African build 1974 Puma GT which belonged to a friend, who's ex-husband bought it and then just left it sitting outside for ages. She got it after the divorce but it sat outside in the open for a total of over 8 years.

I didn't know anything about them at first and after some research realised that RHD models are a lot rarer and I couldn't see it deteriorating anymore. I bought it at the end of 2012 and am now rebuilding it for my daughter. It'll be her first car as she's just turned 17 and will start driving lessons this year.

The car is No. 173 of 357 from Series 1 build between 1973 & 74. They were all based on Beetle, rather than Karmann Ghia floorpans.
I think there's only a handful of RHD Pumas in the UK, one is for sale here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1640652
If you know of any more, please let me know, it would be nice to know other owners.

The floorpan was the first thing to tackle as it was completely rotted away. I've already rebuild it and it's ready for the body now. However it is actually a 1968 UK 1500 Beetle pan with ball joint beam and disc brakes at the front and IRS at the rear. The floorpan was in good condition and all I had to do was to shorten it. I didn't think the King & Link beam and swing axle setup of the early pan used originally would be any good to keep up with the GT looks of the car. I want it to handle and drive like a proper GT car when done to take it on longer road trips and maybe even some historic rallies.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/autobutcher/Frank010_zps5e7d9237.jpg

The next picture is just after we took the body off the old pan with all fittings still on it. It's now completely stripped down and on a rollable frame to start on the bodywork. Hopefully I'll get it soda blasted next month and then get on with some repairs and preparations for paint.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/autobutcher/EssexTendring2012-12-30001_zpscdce8396.jpg

Sorry I can't post pictures directly into the post, but if you know how to do it please feel free to do so.

Frank
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duded that is so cool. Keep posting the photos and keep us up to date on the restoration.
autobutcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay it's about time for an update on the rebuild.
Progress had been slower than I wanted earlier on in the year, I never got it soda blasted and the car just sat around until the summer.

I went to the Veterannen Treffen in Bad Camberg and met up with some fellow Puma owners which gave me a bit of a boost and I finally cracked on with the bodywork.

First thing was to get all the old paint of which I did just with a scraper as the paint was so thick and flakey, it just peeled off really easily.

Now the body was stripped the true extend of the work needed is visible, but I'm well and truly sticking to my plan of having it finished for June 2017 to take it to Hessisch Oldendorf and the International Puma meet in Germany.

Last week was a step in the right direction as I put the body back on the floorpan and it's at last looking more like a car again.

Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must say that I am a bit envious of the series one find. I love my GTC but would love to get my hands on a early coupe. May be one day I will hit the loto and take a trip to Brazil and pick one up. Very Happy
I agree with you on swaping out the pan with an updated one with the balljoint frontend. The IRS will be great for a novice driver as it puts the car in a nutral position and is more forgiving.
Here is a photo of mine after the drop spindels went in. They really slamed the front to the ground so this winter they will be coming off and the hight will be managed with beam adjusters.

PumaGTe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my old topic is active again Smile

My Puma project has been on hold for a few years now, with just minor work done.

Nice to see a Puma in the UK, they weren't sold in the UK because of Ford did not allow the name Puma to be used, because they hold the right to that name.

Still want to go to the Puma meeting some day, I always get an invite well maybe in 2016, who knows....

I had my Puma lowered with spindles as well, it wanst to low but early cars are not really symetrical so the right fender kept rubbing to the tire. This was because I had to use 2inch spacers due to the 14inch wheels.

Keep the pics comming of all Puma's out there, I will upload some soon.

Dennis
autobutcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Puma GTe 1600 Reply with quote

Work is still going whenever I can but it all takes a lot of time though. I've done a lot of fibre glass repairs which will still need laminating on the inside for strength. I'm trying to start collecting parts too and have posted a couple of wanted ads.
The front pinned back together and damaged bumper mount parts removed.

Bumper mount rebuild.

Front inner wheel houses repaired.

All the old licence plate and l.p. light holes filled

I've noticed a few of the guys who've posted in this thread are also members on PumaGTE.com and although I'm not, please keep in touch here. Lets try and get our cars ready for next years Puma Meeting in Germany. I know I have a long way to go but will do my best Sad

Cheers Frank
autobutcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Puma GTe 1600 Reply with quote

Here are my WANTED ads if somebody can help.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1920546
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1920550
Cheers Frank
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Puma GTe 1600 Reply with quote

autobutcher - Can't help with the parts but I like seeing the work. I finally got all of the interior out of mine over the weekend. I spent about three hours removing the rockwool padding that covers the back shelf, what a mess. I had to get out the 4 1/2 grinder with a wire wheel to get the last bit off. Once I got all that off I found 10 different hole that have to be filled. Can't figure out why there was so many.
PumaGTe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Puma GTe 1600 Reply with quote

http://www.pumacars.co.za/ For all the parts you need, I bought some switches there as well.

They build your car so they probably can supply you with the right parts Smile

The parts are cheap as hell, but with shipping and taxes etc prices double. (still not to expensive)

If you are going to order some parts let me know, I'm not sure yet, but I might need some parts as well and we can split the costs of shipping. Shipping from UK to Holland is not quite as expensive
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petfisheric wrote:
Must say that I am a bit envious of the series one find. I love my GTC but would love to get my hands on a early coupe. May be one day I will hit the loto and take a trip to Brazil and pick one up. Very Happy
I agree with you on swaping out the pan with an updated one with the balljoint frontend. The IRS will be great for a novice driver as it puts the car in a nutral position and is more forgiving.
Here is a photo of mine after the drop spindels went in. They really slamed the front to the ground so this winter they will be coming off and the hight will be managed with beam adjusters.

Didn't Pumas come from the factory with an adjustable beam?
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Puma GTe 1600 Reply with quote

I wish they came from the factory with adjustable beams. That would have make lowering the front much easier. Pumas had the stock VW ride height because of the Brazilian road conditions. The suspension travel / ride quality was one of the selling points they had with the Pumas.
PumaGTe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Puma GTe 1600 Reply with quote

The adjustable Puma beam is not related to the car brand Puma
autobutcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Puma GTe 1600 Reply with quote

PumaGTe wrote:
http://www.pumacars.co.za/ For all the parts you need, I bought some switches there as well.

They build your car so they probably can supply you with the right parts Smile

The parts are cheap as hell, but with shipping and taxes etc prices double. (still not to expensive)

If you are going to order some parts let me know, I'm not sure yet, but I might need some parts as well and we can split the costs of shipping. Shipping from UK to Holland is not quite as expensive

Hi Dennis,
I've been in contact with Jack Wjicker in South Africa. I'm sure you know he's resurrected Puma in 2008. They have build a few new and are still rebuilding old Pumas there. However most parts they use if Puma specific, are from the later GTS and GTC and parts are imported to SA from Brazil. Due to legislation a lot of new more modern components are now used which just don't look right on the older models.
There is another guy over here in the UK, Anton, who is also South African and he had his car rebuild in the factory. He's got a very early GT and most parts were imported from Brazil for his too. He's hoping to bring it to the UK next year.
I think the switches and early rev counter for mine are parts I can only get second hand, unless there are some NOS items stashed away somewhere. But yes, when it comes to getting the door and window seals etc I'll let you know to see if you need anything to go with the order.
I've just bought a pair of Saab Sonett lll/early Saab 99 rear light units, which seem to be used on all GT's imported to Europe back in the 70's. They don't come up for sale often either as complete units. Mine should have the small 1600 Variant rear lights but if I can't get complete units for decent money I might use the Saab versions.
Frank
autobutcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Puma GTe 1600 Reply with quote

A big Thank You to Tony Kokalis (GreekVW). He replied to my wanted ad and last weekend I received a set of NOS Puma GTE gauges for my car. Happy Days Very Happy
autobutcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Puma GTe 1600 Reply with quote

I know this is a few of months old now and the original listing was posted on PumaGTE.com, but I only just read about the auction result in the latest issue of Octane Magazine where they mentioned the result. Looks like Pumas are getting a bit more exposure in the classic car world with this being the second REALLY nice early car to come from Brazil and end up in America and Europe.
Cheers Frank
http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots...;category=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: