Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crusty '62 Volksrod Candidate?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
Speaking of brake lines , the best fitting steel line set I ever installed came from JC Whitney. No flaring tool needed and every line was dead on length. 'Course, I could have gotten the only good set the manufacturer made that month, so this is not a blanket endorsememt for Whitney parts.

That's hysterical! The only place I buy my brake lines sets from is Whitney! (That's about all I buy ...)

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uglyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kudos on taking this one on. Once upon a time I would have taken a swing at it, but these days I pass when i see that kind of rust. Those little clips in the bell housing are the keepers for the throw out bearing.
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglyvw wrote:
kudos on taking this one on. Once upon a time I would have taken a swing at it, but these days I pass when i see that kind of rust. Those little clips in the bell housing are the keepers for the throw out bearing.

Thank you for answering the clip question Wink
Now I just need to investigate THAT. Waiting on parts to come in, pedal cluster is locked up tight, heard somewhere that ATF and acetone make a good penetrating lube so I mixed some up and put it in an old fashioned goose neck oil can. Been using it all over on the car. Been soaking the pedal cluster and the MC. Have a new dual circuit MC to put in and new switches coming. Been cleaning and organising the shop the last few days, tinkering a little with the car hear and there. I have now spent as much in parts as I did on the car. Rolling Eyes

I Got Your Jeep Thing! Now It Hurts When I pee.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sober 4 years today Cool

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uglyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:
sober 4 years today Cool

Congrats, that is a big deal. Having had addiction difficulties in the past myself, I tip my hat to you. Keep up the good work.
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was sitting at my work bench, putting the carb back together and these came out of the drawer
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sold my bike today so I have cash to spend at the swap meet at Volksfest next weekend Twisted Evil

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cat! Is it cooler in your garage than in the house during these hot summer days? It is in my house, by at least 5 degrees. I leave the stairwell door open to the garage so my 1-year old cat (grey tabby) can venture down as desired. Among all of the small spaces crammed with VW parts, his favorite hideout is the sheepskin seat cover in my Ghia convertible, parked in the garage with the top down. Smile
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Nice cat! Is it cooler in your garage than in the house during these hot summer days? It is in my house, by at least 5 degrees. I leave the stairwell door open to the garage so my 1-year old cat (grey tabby) can venture down as desired. Among all of the small spaces crammed with VW parts, his favorite hideout is the sheepskin seat cover in my Ghia convertible, parked in the garage with the top down. Smile

Thanks! Hotrod is a feral kitten I found at an abandoned house across from my shop. The shop is a mid 19th century limestone building that was originally a Brewery. If I keep the doors shut to keep out the heat, it stays much cooler inside than out. I put an exhaust fan on the 3rd floor a week or so ago and it pulls out the heat and cool air up from the cellars. And Hotrod lives at the shop, spoiled rotten little thing, comes on command and follows me like a dog.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accel pump is hitting the 12v gen when I try to put the carb back on Grrrrr Evil or Very Mad Guess I need one of those addapters. Crying or Very sad

vee dub dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:

Sold my bike today so I have cash to spend at the swap meet at Volksfest next weekend Twisted Evil

Awesome cat.

I like the patina look on this, have fun with it!

I'll be at Volksfest too!

Fresh Air VW Car Club - Pittsburgh, PA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:
Accel pump is hitting the 12v gen when I try to put the carb back on Grrrrr Evil or Very Mad Guess I need one of those addapters. Crying or Very sad

Just stick a pry bar between the intake manifold and generator and move the intake just enough so the carb clears the generator. If you're really looking at the motor you'll notice the carb is slightly angled...I am a perfectionist...but for the price, I can deal with the cosmetic issue.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
ol puddin head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
birddog1148 wrote:

Just stick a pry bar between the intake manifold and generator and move the intake just enough so the carb clears the generator. If you're really looking at the motor you'll notice the carb is slightly angled...I am a perfectionist...but for the price, I can deal with the cosmetic issue.
x2. had the same issue with my 65, and this worked great.
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ol puddin head wrote:
vwfreek61 wrote:
birddog1148 wrote:

x2. had the same issue with my 65, and this worked great.

The whole intake shifts when I try this, afraid of breaking the intake studs.

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it has been sitting in the corner for a few years, time to get going on it again. (Took me 8 years from start to road on the Baja) And looking at my pulleys they don't line up Seems the 12v generator pulley sticks out farther than the crank pulley. I must not be using the right words in my search, or I cant use a later 12 gen on this engine. What ever I did 2 years ago swapping parts around I got a different gen stand on and this gen mounted.

sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a bus generator was a bit longer so it had a concave backing plate to compensate. If it's put on a bug backing plate it will stick out a little farther than the crank pulley.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
I believe a bus generator was a bit longer so it had a concave backing plate to compensate. If it's put on a bug backing plate it will stick out a little farther than the crank pulley.

The generator and backing plate came off a single port that was in my '69 that was in my Baja when I bought it. So a bus backing plate is different than a bug?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: