Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Appeal to split the Vanagon/Eurovan Forum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should there be separate Vanagon and Eurovan Forums?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 54 ]
No
34%
 34%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 82

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
berkeleyjack wrote:
No need to be a dickweed.

Sorry, it comes naturally.

Somebody needs a nap. #Sleep
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trbowgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Eurovan owner I push for a separation of the forums.
I think there is pretty decent traffic on the yahoo group and I bet that would double if we had a real forum to post to. As stated earlier in this thread any time I have tried to post a Eurovan specific thread it falls off immediately and gets buried with virtually no response. I know for a fact many Eurovan owners who do not post on here because to be honest it is a Vanagon forum that tolerates an occasional Eurovan thread. I do not think a Eurovan forum would get as much trafic at first but I think you would be surprised how many people need technical advice on Eurovans. As the Eurovans grow older there will be more of a need for a forum to find help on. Eurovan owners really have no good choice on a place to connect and get good tech advice. Remember most Eurovans are coming in the 20 year old category so parts and knowledge is becoming scarce.
I think by giving the Eurovans their own community on The Samba would help keep another group of VWs on the road.
If help is needed in sorting through old post on how to separate I would be glad to help.
hope4thebest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Appeal to split the Vanagon/Eurovan Forum Reply with quote

"I think by giving the Eurovans their own community on The Samba would help keep another group of VWs on the road."

AMEN!
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think it would be a good idea, but it has been shot down before. I am both a previous Vanagon owner and a Eurovan owner. I would be happy to see a specific area for Eurovan and up... I guess it does nopt hurt asking... but I doubt it will come to fruition.
jimfackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: eurovans Reply with quote

I would love to see more Eurovan specific section too.

The Eurovan is a much different beast from the Vanagon and the older busses, and it has its own collection of benefits, foibles and tricks!
Bill E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my share of bugs.... had an air-cooled Vanagon for 14 years.... and currently drive a 93 manual Eurovan for almost 15 years and it needs work like all older cars.

Cant pay someone to do everything and need these forums to find people that have the knowledge I can use myself. A separate EV section would draw many of these people and could be used for searches/stickies and even pics.

These vehicles are pure VW Vans... and we all wish they were still made or the T5's were available in America!!
sleeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely use this forum because it is so hard to sift through to find the Eurovan info. Please make us our own forum, I don't understand why not.
trbowgn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get the resistance from the admins to separate the two. You have two vehicles that share almost nothing in common mechanicaly yet they are lumped together. 10 years ago maybe it made sense but my Eurovan, which btw is the newest and most expensive vehicle I have ever owned, ever owned will be eligible for historic plates in 4 years. If it's a money thing to host let us know what it is, but Everett I ask you to please explain why your excellent site that is a top VW resource refuses to adapt and accommodate to other VWs. If it is a simple fact that our vehicles use water vs. fans tell us and all of us watereys can go start our own site. I would honestly hate to see that happen as I persanoly came to this sight because I bought a Eurovan but now am actively seaking a older Bug convertible and the dream of a Thing some day. So I say try to invite and accommodate as much VWness as possible because you never know.
JTL6999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTENTION SAMBA ADMINISTRATOR/S

PROVIDing a Eurovan specific Forum is a Great idea!!.

The Eurovan is a much different beast from the Vanagon and the older busses, and it has its own collection of benefits, foibles and tricks!
And both T4 and T5 base models have Large populations!!

After several (difficult) searches in the Samba Forum(s) I too - rarely use this forum because it is so hard to sift through to find the Eurovan info. Please Create a Eurovan (EV EVC EVW MV MVC MVW) forum,
and Broadcast the availability! I don't understand why not. Thanks! JTL
ktpierce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand why not, but I also agree that TheSamba would be an excellent place for Eurovans to settle. I bet there are a lot of crossover owners, too.

Good signal to noise kept me happy with ev_update for a long time, it was a pretty good resource, but lately the auto-editting of prior thread content is so enthusiastic that all is simply lost to this digest reader, I can't practicably participate.

I vote for a Eurovan aka Transporter or T4 category, that would be great.
T5? not much point in the usa.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think putting this poll in the Vanagon/Eurovan forum thread would generate a lot more input and feedback from those end-users whom would be most affected.

Still crossing fingers for a distinct Eurovan/T4 section. Smile
Samandkimberly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just joined Samba because the prospect of a Eurovan forum has so much appeal. I am amazed, though, that something so simple can be so contentious; I'd bet the Vanagon shares more with the air cooled beetle than it does with the eurovan.

Anyway, I'd welcome an EV forum and would definitely contribute.

Sam
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see them split up. As it has been stated already, there is very little similarities between Vanagons and Eurovans. There really isn't a good location online for Eurovan information. Searching here can be quite frustrating.

There's probably an average of 10 posts per date on ev_update (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ev_update/conversations/messages) and that is a very horrible solution. I imagine the posting would go up significantly if there was a better solution. Most of the renewed interest in this subject probably came from that mailing list......

Regardless, I love what you have done here Everett. Thank you! If I can only come here for discussion on my older cars, I'm good with that too. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit to blanking out on this after the last series of posts above.

This topic has come up again in the Vanagon/Eurovan section

If I was to split it, are people prepared to go through the Vanagon Forum and "report" all the Eurovan threads they can find so I know what to move over to the new section?

Finding and moving everything would be a lot of work for one person (me) but if masses of people are looking or already have tons of Eurovan threads in the current Vanagon/Eurovan section bookmarked, it would be much quicker.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I for one would help with that.

I've only a passing interest in Eurovans...... Only because my brother has one...... But if it helps others, count me in.

I for sure see the value of such a split. The Eurovans get buried here by Vanagon posts.
It would be like putting 68 and up and super beetles in with the Split window beetles. Splits would be buried alive.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Eurovan owners would be glad to flag their threads for being moved as it would only benefit them. I'm sure Vanagon owners would be glad to give them the boot lol (jokingly of course). Understandable that when the category was new, most people were not paying much attention to the Vanagon, but their collector status has been cemented since then and the two vastly different platforms should be seperated. It will take some time, but it will sort itself out eventually.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
If I was to split it, are people prepared to go through the Vanagon Forum and "report" all the Eurovan threads they can find so I know what to move over to the new section?

Finding and moving everything would be a lot of work for one person (me) but if masses of people are looking or already have tons of Eurovan threads in the current Vanagon/Eurovan section bookmarked, it would be much quicker.

Since being a moderator, I've retitled every Eurovan topic that pops up to include "Eurovan" or "EV" or "EVC" in the title, so that they stand out. I just went into the archives and changed a bunch of old ones too (still many more out there though). However, because some Vanagon folks desire some Eurovan parts in their vans, some Vanagon threads will have "Euro" or "Eurovan" in the titles.

If you're serious about splitting them up, along with Dave, I'm happy to help: I can go through the forum archives and get a list going, and can start working on an EV FAQ too, as time allows. Any leftover topics, we'll find and move over time, and folks can flag/report as well.

Edit: Or, create the forum and over the next week (or more), the moderators can seek out EV topics and move them as they find them. That would be less work for you. Just put an "under construction" sign out for the new forum. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell doth freezeth over...
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw, I can help out with creating the EV forum too... I'm planning on putting up several walkthrough posts on everything EVC in the near future, so I"ll be sure to title them all "EVC".

but I really don't mind them being in with the vanagons, either. Search is your friend, not browsing.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up!

Eurovan Forum

The moderators for Eurovan are the same as Vanagon:
djkeev and kamzcab86

And of course me. And the few people that have power site-wide (SuperModerators)

This gives them power to move things between sections to populate the Eurovan section.

Moderators: I did a search on EVC and moved everything with that in the title but there were only 30ish so feel free to do your own searches and move existing threads. I am also doing a title search on "Eurovan" and finding things to move.

Anyone: For any thread in Vanagon that needs to be moved to Eurovan, please hit
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
in the upper-right of the first post in the thread and report it with a little comment "Move to Eurovan" or "Move" and I will get an notification and move it.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide in moving things.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: