Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Powered 47 Ford truck Rat Rod
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charley Davidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: VW Powered 47 Ford truck Rat Rod Reply with quote

Hi, I've been looking for an unusual motor for my rat rod build, I was set on a 4 cylinder Perkins air cooled diesel until I fell into a fresh VW motor with 2 automatic transmissions. The guy I got the stuff off of was going to build a trike but just got too busy with his business & life so passed it on to me. My plate is too full to build the trike right now so I'm gonna power my 47 with the motor and sell the 2 trany's with all the stuff that goes with them.

The truck will be a Bobber with the cab sitting only 36" tall at the roof, suicide doors, suicide front end, original banjo rearend with high arched transversed spring, 19x4 new nos Rolls Royce tires that are 33" tall. The real cool part of this truck will be the front mounted VW motor and the hydraulic drive.

I've got a bit of engineering and designing to do and hope to get some help here. I also plan on putting a turbo on it for a little extra oomph. I think the whole package will come in under 1500 pounds
Charley Davidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too interesting here I guess Sad
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Charley Davidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
I'm very interested Cool

Well I'll add some pictures soon of all the parts I have gathered, unfortunately I can't mock it up right now as my shop is too small & cluttered with machinery I'm selling/building/refurbishing or using. I have the cab up on a rack, the frame's nestled between the rack & mezzanine, rearend is in another building, front axle is stuffed behind my air compressor. I just bought a place that has a 12x16 shed on it and was just given a 8x20 storage pod so I'll be able to clear out some space to work on it in my shop.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say hydraulic drive do you meat a hydromatic transmission(torque convertor) or a hydrostatic transmission(variable displacement pump)?
Charley Davidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
When you say hydraulic drive do you meat a hydromatic transmission(torque convertor) or a hydrostatic transmission(variable displacement pump)?

I must admit I'm no hydraulics guru but my plan is to use simple pump/reservoir plumbed to a hydraulic motor that will be attached directly to the differential like a driveshaft would be. Valving/controls to increase flow to increase speed, reversing flow for reverse.

I will connect the foot throttle to the hydraulics & have a stick/lever to set the motor RPM. Sound doable?
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are pretty much describing a hydrostatic system. Its what Bobcats, harvesters and other industrial vehicles use. There was a webpage called Hydraulic Innovations all about different peoples hydrostatic projects but it came down a while back.

The pumps use a variable displacement pump which is driven by the engine. The engine runs at pretty much a constant RPM. A control on the pump increases displacement to increase the volume of fluid output which in turn increases the RPM of the hydraulic motor. As the load on the engine increases you increase the fuel the engine is burning to hold the RPM constant, right at the peak of the torque curve. The control can also reduce fluid flow to zero or reverse it. When you reduce the pump output, the engine is actively braking, but not like a normal engine using compression, its actually using engine power to slow the motor so you really don't need a brake on that wheel (unless you install a bypass valve).

Hydrostatic systems work great but you really almost need an engineer to match all the variables and components to make them work right.

Here's a couple articles/videos on diesel powered hydrostatic motorcycles to get an idea of the complexity.

http://thekneeslider.com/hydrostatic-drive-diesel-motorcycle/

http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/TechZone/Hydra...ulicPumpsM

http://www.duccutters.com/HydraulicInnovations-HydrostaticChopper.tpl#.U4bGHXZQY1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6G_YrGugug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guHb6v9TyqE
Charley Davidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
You are pretty much describing a hydrostatic system. Its what Bobcats, harvesters and other industrial vehicles use. There was a webpage called Hydraulic Innovations all about different peoples hydrostatic projects but it came down a while back.

The pumps use a variable displacement pump which is driven by the engine. The engine runs at pretty much a constant RPM. A control on the pump increases displacement to increase the volume of fluid output which in turn increases the RPM of the hydraulic motor. As the load on the engine increases you increase the fuel the engine is burning to hold the RPM constant, right at the peak of the torque curve. The control can also reduce fluid flow to zero or reverse it. When you reduce the pump output, the engine is actively braking, but not like a normal engine using compression, its actually using engine power to slow the motor so you really don't need a brake on that wheel (unless you install a bypass valve).

Hydrostatic systems work great but you really almost need an engineer to match all the variables and components to make them work right.

Here's a couple articles/videos on diesel powered hydrostatic motorcycles to get an idea of the complexity.

http://thekneeslider.com/hydrostatic-drive-diesel-motorcycle/

http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/TechZone/Hydra...ulicPumpsM

http://www.duccutters.com/HydraulicInnovations-HydrostaticChopper.tpl#.U4bGHXZQY1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6G_YrGugug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guHb6v9TyqE

Thanks for all the links
The idea came from a Harley I seen in 03 at the 100th anniversary for Harley Davidson. The guy built a really badass custom and said the same thing about reverse as the diesel bike guy. The bike also raised and lowered hydraulicly with no kickstand it just rested on the frame. I may try that with my truck. I'll look at all these links today and see how much I can learn.

I'm gonna have to sell those 2 tranny's to fund the hyraulics but I have no idea what they are really worth so any help with that would be appreciated.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two kinds of VW automatics, the autostik and the bus/type3 automatic which is probably worth more.
Charley Davidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of the fully automatic type 3 automatic transmissions with transaxles, 1 complete rebuild kit, to freshly turned break drums, new brake shoes, new wheel cylinders, starter, all new seals and gaskets, a ton of brand new stuff
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put an ad on the classifieds
Charley Davidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to I just don't know what to ask for them it would be reasonable for me and a buyer
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
Charley Davidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

Thanks, I did a search about 3 times and never came up with a type 3

Are the transaxles unique to these tranny's? I'm sure I heard the starter was.
I gotta go back to my shop & finish a job so I have a paycheck this week then I'll post an add later tonight or early tomorrow
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charley Davidson wrote:
Are the transaxles unique to these tranny's?

Yes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The automatic starter has 2 bearings in it to support it's self, Starters for manual transaxles have only one at the front and the other end is supported in a bushing that is in the transaxle.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Charley Davidson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally put an add up for all the stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1647283
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: