Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Por 15 Question -Painting over?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Por 15 Question -Painting over? Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it possible to paint over an area treated with Por 15? I understand it is not porous, but perhaps there is an etching method out there? I've asked the Por distributor, but no response. Thanks.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy at my local resto shop says that the easiest way to do it is spray primer on while the por-15 is still tacky, that way the primer will bond to it and the paint will bond to the primer. He said the other option is to wait for it to dry & sand it down to scuff the heck out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do however think it would probably be a good idea if I mention that I haven't tried this yet, so if anybody knows it not to be true...please say so because I'm about to try doin' it on my bus & I'm scared to death of screwing up my OG paint trying to touch up a couple surface rust spots. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JThw8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Por15 sells a special primer to allow you to do this

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=239
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks. Its unfortunate that they recommend not to prime over it. I think I'll start looking at a different system for the exterior. I have very little surface rust, but I want to make sure its gone forever when I shoot this bad boy.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
JThw8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like RustBullet www.rustbullet.com and Ive had no trouble painting over it.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've done some deeper searching on this forum (probably something I should have to begin with), and have come to the same conclusion as you. If I'm painting over it or using on my interior (as my car is silver), I'm going with rust Bullet. For my convertible frame, I'll go with either Por15 or that other one (series something or another). Thanks again!

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're thinkin' of Masterseries. I haven't heard much about that one except that everyone seems to like it better than POR15 & less than rustbullet. I think I'm going to use rustbullet on my surface rust since it sounds like I won't have to worry about getting primer to stick to it. I am, however, going to use a POR-15 product on my window frames. They make this stuff called POR-PATCH thats basically a thick version of POR15 in a toothpaste tube. You can use it to fill small rust holes...and since it'll be under the window seals I don't need to paint over it.
vincentrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if you have to spray on the pro-15 in a paint booth or can you do it outside? I live in california.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all three products recommend that you brush them on with little foam brushes...they are thick and need to be slightly diluted in order to spray(dilute with their recommended diluting products, which of course cost extra, and then you have extra VOC's your inhaleing, too, so where appropriate lung protection)...

they all go on very smooth...they seem to be best suited to more hidden area of vehicles...floors, window sills, frames, insides of doors, inner rockers and what not...they all are pretty thick when dry by paint thickness standards (4 to 6 mils after 2 coats)

if the area is mild surface rust and will be painted over, also consider picklex: http://www.picklex.com/ ...i think this is a much milder surface treatment to stop and prevent surface rusting...it is not a very protective film and needs paint to provide hardness and chip protection...on the plus side it is a very thin treatment...perfect for body panels that will be primed, sanded and painted...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: