Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Judson 36er
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a little Marvel Mystery oil in the FUEL tank, 4 oz per 10 gal. Helps to stabilize our current fuel. It may be boiling..
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had only done ten miles at a very relaxed pace and it wasn't a hot day. I'm starting to think it's electrical again. I removed one of the plugs and got my woman to crank it over to see the size of the spark. As it cranked quicker through the lack of compression , it fired and ran on three cylinders. She stopped it, I refitted the plug and the bloody thing started straight up.
It's a proper confusing problem. Maybe my coil is just randomly breaking down, or a duff plug wire. I will mak up some new ones.
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a dizzy problem? Please help me obi wan , you're my only hope!
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the current fuel pressure, cold, checked with a gauge? Does it seem to sometimes start just as you are giving up and releasing the key from the start position?
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to start when I release the key no, it just refuses to do anything. With the engine turning over quicker due to the lower compression (plug out) could that be a fuel pressure issue? It actually started on three cylinders and when I replaced the plug it fired and ran normal. When I skimmed the fuel pump (to stop it leaking) I added another gasket to reduce the pressure but to be honest its exactly the same as before. Replacing the Judson coil is my next route. After that a rebuild Glen 010 dizzy would be on the list.

I`m starting to think its cursed and am getting ideas of a 2110cc IDA replacement!!!!

Last edited by vwhelmot on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running the Judson coil the whole time and hav alternated between regular points n electronic points. Didn't make much of a difference. Even rebuilt a distributor so I knew the contacts and bits were all good on it too..
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m thinking that the coil maybe breaking down with age. Maybe!!!
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple spares to trial if that's the case with yours, an a couple of see dees too
tinlizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwhelmot wrote:
I can go for a drive say 25 miles and it runs perfect, no splutters, nothing. If I stop it sometimes and try to restart it , it will crank over and over till the cows come home and it wont even cough or fire whatsoever.
Ive tried squirting easy start down the carb, nothing
Ive opened the top of the carb to make sure there was fuel in the float chamber , which there was.
Ive removed the plugs which were not wet, but are sparking
Ive tried new condenser, points, starter, starter gearbox bushing, installed a yellow top modern gell optima 6v battery
Ive checked for air leaks around the manifold
Ive checked the tank for shit and venting
Valve clearences
Timing
The list goes on.
As you can see, it boils my piss and I cant trust the car . the only way it will start is by bumping it. Once it starts it smokes a little bit but not bad and will continue to run fine. I can then stop the engine with the key and it will restart straight away.

I think its either a faulty coil,(breaking down with the heat ,I run a Judson magneto coil) or a petrol evaporating problem.
Im going to hook up another coil and try that first.
GGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Ive had this problem for the last 9 years!

Sounds as if your voltage to the coil is reduced on a hot start with starter, but not on a bump start. Too much starter draw when hot may be the problem. New starter might fix it, but it would be easy to confirm the diagnosis with a volt meter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New starter fitted inc a new starter bush in the gearbox.
I`ve finally cured it, a combo of bad coil and timing was not 100% right.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U said that last time! Haha..

Bad coil hey, where did u set the timing at now?
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.5 , it wasn't near :oops:
Its made a huge difference.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwhelmot wrote:
I think its either a faulty coil,(breaking down with the heat ,I run a Judson magneto coil) or a petrol evaporating problem.
Im going to hook up another coil and try that first.
GGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! Ive had this problem for the last 9 years!
Bad coil & timing off for 9 years Crying or Very sad
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a mixture of a few things to be honest. This year I`ve really tried to solve the problem, rebuilt the fuel pump, carb, Judson charger rebuilt a few years ago.
The coil thing threw me as it was an intermittent fault, it wouldn't fail all the time. I hold my hand up with the timing , not realizing that the notch indicated 7.5 and not tdc. My fault, its timed right now but the vacuum advance touched the fuel line so had to bend the fuel outlet ever so slightly. We live and learn. :oops: It really is running like a swiss watch now, instant starting hot or cold. :D
fabbe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you use a judson coil ?
try with a original bosch coil (I had the same problem as you)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, little update, finally had time to rebuild the pump, been chatting with a mate an we are putting it down to fuel pressure.
Pulled the pump out, dismantled it, swapped the ww diaphragm out for a black made in USA one from another pump, it felt like a stronger material than the ww one, made a new preload jig, changed the bottom out for a straighter one.

So far so good, doesn't have that "rattle" sound when I'm under load up hills which is a bonus. So will trial this for now until it proves it doesn't work then will try another idea.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update here.
All those years ago when I built the carb up I swapped all the bits from one to another, I didn't have the 140 air jet. I inquired about it to someone and they said it would be fine.

I was at work racking my brain again and it brought me back to the air correction jet. I couldn't remember if I did swap it over so I pulled it apart.
195 air jet as I left it.

So I soldered up a jet and drilled it out until I could find a proper jet, also rebuilt another carb, too much throttle shaft play on the other one and was leaking fuel.

Replaced the carb and air jet, actually found a few 122.5 mains in my collection of 28pcis with 195-180 air jets too.

So far it runs epic, pulls better up hills doesn't get hot, doesn't make any sounds either! Think it's a win now.

And all from not having a small jet. It's amazing the difference now.
steven wardlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting the old Judson to run correct. I had the same problem with my 40HP Judson setup. Best to always check the plug color and go for a little richer mixture than to run it on the lean side.
Schnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Judson 36er Reply with quote

I have always trouble to restart my '60 beetle with judsen when the engine is hot after a drive on the autobahn. I stoped the engine an in the same second i can't start again. 2 hours later it will be no problem....
An other problem is when i drive longer withe the same speed, an then i have ro rev up, the engine stucks an dont rev up.....

No idea... Confused
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Judson 36er Reply with quote

How hot is your Judson body after the drive? Is the fuel evaporating before it gets to the heads?

Mines now broken, so back to stock 36hp for me... Damn.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: