Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iltis fuel pump question
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dseawok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Iltis fuel pump question Reply with quote

I have an 81 VW Iltis (ex military). It appears the fuel pump has gone south. The fuel pump is mounted underneath and just forward of the fuel tank. Can anyone recommend a replacement part? I see lots of references on the web to Facet pumps, but I cannot tell what is the correct replacement for this location (again, in front of the tank) vs. what appears to have been a later modification (in particular with the Bombardier model) of moving the pump into the engine compartment. I don't have any desire to go through the work (if I can avoid it) of making this modification. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Dave
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few parts are Iltis-specific but I don't remember the fuel pump being listed as one of them. If your Iltis is still running the stock 1.7 liter gas (petrol) engine, double-check to see if a fuel pump from the same era Golf/Rabbit, Passat/Dasher will work.

If all else fails, there is an Iltis group on Yahoo! that's worth joining. True, 90% of the owners there are Canadian and, therefore, driving Bombardier versions. However, there are a handful of fellows there that know both Iltises inside and out, and I would bet real money they would know the answer.

Good luck.
dseawok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... Yes, correct 1.7l engine and have used other Rabbit parts...water pump, etc.. Only concern with the fuel pump is that the ILTIS is a 24v system and the Rabbit, etc are 12v.. Will look for the yahoo group. Appreciate the thoughts...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: