Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pricing today's 356 cars
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
356er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Pricing today's 356 cars Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

As you know 356 condition and models vary. Right now, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1960 356 S90 in need of restoration. Seller is asking "guess" and the good thing the floors, battery box, closing panels, and longs have been replaced. 100% complete with matching numbers engine. The engine will need a full rebuild, plus brakes. Interior will need to be new since they are tattered. Body is good with few dents and some minor rust repair.

Hopefully I can take this baby home and work on removing surface rust and body repair. Good project to return to stock.

Last edited by 356er on Thu May 29, 2014 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car is as you describe, and without seeing it myself. I would jump on it. A numbers matching S-90 car is worth a lot more than that. Buy it fast and if you don't like it sell it at a profit. Remember I'm going by your description...
onassis 356 restorations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing today's 356 cars Reply with quote

I would jump on it too.

You would need to spend in either way money to get it back on track, when welding things are already done good (please note that the discription of good may vary, especially in 356er restorations) the most expensive part is finished. One thing points out clear: good cars are not cheap.

Will you keep it stock or do you mind going the outlaw route?

Best, Tom - Onassis 356 Restorations

356er wrote:
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post. I've been doing alot of reading on 356. Want to own one but I am not sure if I should pull the trigger to buy a restoration 356 project.

As you know 356 condition and models vary. Right now, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1960 356 S90 in need of restoration. Seller is asking 17K and the good thing the floors, battery box, closing panels, and longs have been replaced. 100% complete with matching numbers engine. The engine will need a full rebuild, plus brakes. Interior will need to be new since they are tattered. Body is good with few dents and some minor rust repair.

What do you think?
356er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
If the car is as you describe, and without seeing it myself. I would jump on it. A numbers matching S-90 car is worth a lot more than that. Buy it fast and if you don't like it sell it at a profit. Remember I'm going by your description...

My gut reaction is to jump on it but I kinda chringe Shocked at spending another 10-12K to rebuild the engine and brakes just to get the thing running. I don't have much experience rebuilding engines. I was thinking on waiting on a 356 with a rebuilt engine and paying more for it. My experience is on body work since I will have a relative do the final prep and paint the car.

I'll upload a pic. Samba is weird on uploading pics.

Thinking just not adding the bumpers and looking like an outlaw - Slate Grey, Artic Silver or that Greenish Grey Color "Fjord Green? don't know exactly the name with red or black interior. The bumpers make it look like its for Grand Daddy. One can always add the bumpers and keep it stock.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 356er on Wed May 28, 2014 11:36 am; edited 3 times in total
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUY THE CAR....................
356er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken I can purchase new engine parts and send parts where I can salvage the old engine parts to have recondition. Would 8K be reasonable estimate to rebuild the engine? Semi DIY. Still need to purchase new bearings, distributer plugs, gaskets, nuts, and tons of other bits and pieces to have it run right. I think it would be a 15K total cost engine rebuild.

Might as well purchase a turn key engine on ebay for 9K. Anybody have access to used 356 engines for 4K?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

356er wrote:
Taken I can purchase new engine parts and send parts where I can salvage the old engine parts to have recondition. Would 8K be reasonable estimate to rebuild the engine? Semi DIY. Still need to purchase new bearings, distributer plugs, gaskets, nuts, and tons of other bits and pieces to have it run right. I think it would be a 15K total cost engine rebuild.

Might as well purchase a turn key engine on ebay for 9K. Anybody have access to used 356 engines for 4K?

A 356 is not like a VW, people put a premium on numbers matching so you should have the engine rebuilt to keep it numbers matching. I would also not make an permanent modification to the body, if you want to go mild custom make sure it is bolt on/off stuff should you decide to sell it and want to get top dollar. Same is true with the paint.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
356er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
356er wrote:

A 356 is not like a VW, people put a premium on numbers matching so you should have the engine rebuilt to keep it numbers matching. I would also not make an permanent modification to the body, if you want to go mild custom make sure it is bolt on/off stuff should you decide to sell it and want to get top dollar. Same is true with the paint.

I agree. No permanant mods. Anybody know of a shop that can help refurbish 356 engine parts?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

356er wrote:

I agree. No permanant mods. Anybody know of a shop that can help refurbish 356 engine parts?

Where do you live?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also put a VW engine in it and drive it around until you save up to rebuild the S-90...
356er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
356er wrote:

Where do you live?

Los Angeles area. The shop near me prices are 8k-22k. Anybody got the Marestro DVD's diy engine rebuild to buy from? I borrowed the Harry P book secrets of.....circle from the library but it's an old edition with all text and no photos. Crying or Very sad
356er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
You can also put a VW engine in it and drive it around until you save up to rebuild the S-90...

Yeah. I heard you can do that to keep cost down and have fun driving it while you work a little bit at a time.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bottom pic must be before the metal repairs?
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
356er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
That bottom pic must be before the metal repairs?

Nope.
356er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody worked on DIY rusted body lead areas? I know your not supposed to sand lead around.

Pour some acid on the area and neutralize?
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being the Wet Blanket here, I would note that there are considerations yet unaddressed.

While the evidence is slim, it seems plain that the PO was not, shall we say, particularly meticulous.

I would say that its safe to assume that you will have to check everything about the welding work already done, including some time on a frame table making sure everything is square.

Then there is addressing the existing rust issues, both apparent and hidden, mindful of the fact that any tub so badly rusted that all the bottoms must be replaced, has many other such issues that the PO didn't bother to deal with.

The engine re-build will be in the neighborhoods you mentioned, tho possibly higher because some S90-specific items are pricy and hard to source. Add a couple thou if you are a novice.

And you forgot to mention the gearbox, which should be opened for careful (knowledgeable) inspection with the likelihood of repair to the synchros and maybe the 6-bolt ring/dif case.

Full interiors are not inexpensive, particularly if the chairs/seats are involved.

New glass and fittings/fitment will run four figures.

Then there are the bits and pieces that will nickle and dime you to death.

If everything is farmed out, it doesn't take an expert to see that the car is at least thirty grand away from roadworthy, tho I would guess it will probably take more.

Good luck.

S.J.Szabo
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the comments by Mr Szabo. Looking at the photo's I bet there is a lot of work to do and that takes a lot of cash even if you try to do it yourself.

The problem is, a person looking for a Super 90 will not only expect to have original crankcases but a correct car throughout body and underneath included. Tbe area's above the floor repairs? look very odd to me.

If you take in what you will have to do, then its going to take you by yourself a long time.

Of course if you just want to make it a runner then its somewhat easier but that is what it will remain. There are good and bad runners as well, and people will pick your car apart if you end up wanting to sell it.

Look on the restorations on www.abcgt.com and you will see what Mr Szabo means about hidden chassis rust, it gets everywhere!

Please don't take the comments the wrong way, I remember in the mid sixties seeing 356 cars with completely flat sheet steel floors welded to god knows what. The cars were rusty after six years if not looked after.

If you like the 356 shape you could buy a speedster repro and have some fun driving it and probably not lose a lot of money.

Roy
savaden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing so dispiriting as re-doing poorly done chassis repairs on a 356. From the looks of it, this project will require a comprehensive approach (hows that for diplomatic). It could be the basis of a solid car, but I think even professionals with all of the skills and tools available would have to carefully consider the costs.

You have asked a number of questions about the engine rebuild process. I would say that is still the least (although not inconsequential) concern. Engine rebuilds are generally straight forward and there are numerous resources for obtaining the necessary parts and machine work. Probably $8K if you do the assembly work is reasonable. You could do it, they are not complicated, but you will have to study and measure.

The rusty areas forward of the doors are of concern, and will require metal replacement, and this process is not foreign to the experts, but the questions you have asked suggest you are inexperienced with this fix. There are likely many other areas with this car that will require similar expertise, and this can be overwhelming unless you can envision the steps required and take a methodical approach.

Make no mistake, this is a big project, and the engine work will be the easiest and least expensive part.

SV
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try accutrack in Manhattan Beach. My buddy Dan runs the shop and the owner is a 356 guy.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my car 15 plus years ago in same condition. It took 5 plus years to get it finished. Short of paint and body and leather I did everything my self. It is not hard and this formum is a wealth of knowledge. 15 years ago it did not exist but living in the LA area help. There are several friendly 356's that can help with information. The most cridical thing to think about is: what is missing. Many parts are super expensive or do not exist. for example, does this car have a single mount front transmission. Good luck getting a replacement. You will have to convert to dual (welding). The 60 model is a strange beast with many anomolies different than 59 and 61. Just be carful.
As for the motor. Does it turn over or is it frozen. You would be amazed at how strong and bullet proof these motors are. I took mine out. (not hard) put it on a bench cleaned and replaced some parts and ran it for 5 years befor a rebuild. That way I could "shake the bugs out". Like I said my car was very siimilar to the pictures you showed.
The tranni is another thing. Pulling that out is a total pain in the ass. Rebuild that for sure and inspect the hocky puck. I would recommend getting a strengthend one from vic skirmmets (sp). Then run it and injoy it.

Shawn
60 T5B Super
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: