Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tornado Hits Prattville, Alabama
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because people are stupid.
if the people in the tornado zone had 2 days notice, you would hear of the same amount or % of people who would "ride it out" thinking that it won't hit them.
please,.. Rolling Eyes

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how well Tornados cut parts from cars? I wonder if they could correctly take a speedo bezel off of a split bus dash?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myzamboni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx wrote:
what he is saying is you know when a hurricane is coming.
"the potential to develop" is not the same as knowing one is on the way and you have 2 days to get your shit ready.

don't get huffy about it.
i'll take a hurricane over a tornado also.

Laughing

I'll take an earthquake over either. No stress with the 'is it gonna hit us' news/weather BS.

It hits. You ride it out. You move on.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...glad you and the family are safe.

I'm with myzamboni, earthquakes are less damaging depending on the nature of the magnitude. Foundations may get shifted and walls may crack, things falling off shelves, cars getting damaged from falling debris.
You really won't lose a whole house unless if it falls into a fault line.
V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f - earthquakes - all of the worst recorded disasters are accounted to earthquakes - tornados maybe the finger of god, but earthquakes are the ass-crack of god - when that f'er sits down, all life goes to shit

US hasn't had a good earthquake in quite sometime, but the rest of the world would take a tornado (or hurricane) anyday

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
f - earthquakes - all of the worst recorded disasters are accounted to earthquakes - tornados maybe the finger of god, but earthquakes are the ass-crack of god - when that f'er sits down, all life goes to shit

Nothing says Wrath of God like a good volcanic eruption.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which of those that I fear worse, I know that the tornados in N AL that I saw in 89-91 were some pretty nasty stuff. that was the year that that area had more tornados than any other part of the country.
OTOH hurricanes just flat out have the tendency to remove entire areas, not just towns) from the face of the map.
And then there are the earthquakes. those things just f#$# crap up. usually the roads remain fairly clear, allowing emergency crews to get in. unlike tornados, where roads are blocked for a mile or two, or hurricanes, where the raods have boats and houses laying in the roads for 20 miles or much more.

I had a friend come in from CA, when she was at my apartment with her BF, we had a tornado come through Hunstville, she was used to earthquakes, but was in the bathroom hunkered under a mattress, while BF and I (he was from AL as well) were on the balcony watching the tornado go by.

Yes alcohol was involved, but it was over a mile away.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH SHIT!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So were any of your VWs hurt?

Yellowbeard wrote:
I hate people who quote other people...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagenut
Samba's Big Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good parts car .
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how come so many people "ride out a hurricane"? Wink

Same reason people engage in any form of risky behavior, riding motorcycles without a helmet or leathers, unprotected sex with strangers, breaking into someone's home and or any form of strong armed crime which could result in being shot to death. Etc,etc. I remember a simpler time in 1969 when a hurricane named Camile hit the Gulf Coast of MIssissippi resulting in the deaths of over 200 people. Some of the people tied themselves to trees "to watch the storm come in" they were killed by the storm surge and flying debris. Another group had a hurricane party on the third floor apartment. The entire building was decimated and most of them went missing presumed killed by the storm. Forty miles away we got only heavy rain storm. Ten years later hurricane Fredric hit as my Parents chose to "ride it out" they prayed to their Jesus as trees fell on their house and they were without power for nearly a month. They survived but vowed to never again to stay for a storm. The only way to ride it out is to be in an area well above the storm surge, have plenty of supplies, and be in a structure built of reinforced concrete or steel. I live in tornado alley now and I have a storm shelter out back
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: