Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting wiring behind the Westy cabinets
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Getting wiring behind the Westy cabinets Reply with quote

I've got an 87 Westy, and recently installed a Propex and a gas detector under the back seat. At this point they're just wired up into an extension of the wiring of the galley light (which, because I installed the GW auxiliary battery kit, is fed off the wire that runs from the battery under the driver's seat to the nest or wires at the under dash fuse box). But this current wiring isn't ideal, and I'd like to put them on their own circuits. So I'm installing a Blue Sea fuse box on the cabinet behind the driver's seat. The question is how to get the wiring from under the back seat up to the back of the driver's seat. I figured that if I pull the refrigerator, I can easily pass it behind the back of the cabinet. But pulling the fridge wasn't on my list of desired things to do. Is there any way to run the wires without pulling the fridge? I tried wiggling a coat hanger back there and it didn't seem to get me anywhere.

(For Bonus Points: I've thought of taking the red wires out of the little existing two-fuse box on the wall behind the driver's seat, and using the new fuse box for them instead. The smaller wire seems to come directly from the battery, so that makes sense. But the fatter wire comes from a relay under the seat, so I figure I should leave it alone. And comments on these?)

Thanks!
adamjjohn203
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pull the front panel off the fridge, the lower grille below the fridge is attached to that. It would probably be easier to run the wire with your hand under there.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also remove the city water inlet on the side of the van. Look in there, you may be able to pass a wire behind the fridge that way. You should probably get a fish tape to pull the wire. Just make sure it doesn't rest against any hot part of the fridge if you still have your propane fridge.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture with the fridge removed. Hope it helps.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Captjon1959
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you don't want to remove stuff, but when you do here's what I did to pass wires.

87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Westified suggested, I pulled the outside city water hookup loose and managed to push a coat hanger (a poor person's fish tape) behind the insulation and up front to where I could grab it through the hole where the water pipes come in under the sink. It didn't work from there to fish around for the back exit (where the piping comes through the wall under the horizontal cabinet doors), so I pulled loose the other water hookup and managed from there. Fairly simple, actually, and much easier than pulling the fridge. Thanks for everyone's help. My wiring will be safer now, making me less a candidate for posting pictures of a burned up van.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 36" zip tie to pull wires thru.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go with the big zip tie approach as well. I keep a couple 48" long zip ties tucked away behind the rear seat so I know where they are when a new project comes up.

I use a small carbide bit in my Dremel tool to make a 1" slot in the end of the cable tie that allows me to pass the electrical tape through before I tape the wire to it. This will allow you to pull wires without the annoyance of the tape sliding off and leaving your wire half way along your intended wiring path.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran wires behind when I had cabinets off. Recently needed to run additional wires for MIL light and Oil warning lights. I used a typical wiring tape used by electricians. When I did, I also pulled a piece of nylon twine through, so next time I pull a wire, I have the twine to do it. Just need to remember to always pull a new piece of twine through and you are set for the life of your van.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Getting wiring behind the Westy cabinets Reply with quote

Wondering how this has worked out for you all with running wires behind the fridge? Any issues ?

Is there any concern about the heat from the refrigerator LP exhaust? I know that flue get's pretty hot and don't want to melt any wires I run back there. I'll be running some 4 gauge battery cables along with a 3 other wires.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting wiring behind the Westy cabinets Reply with quote

dcaver01 wrote:
Wondering how this has worked out for you all with running wires behind the fridge? Any issues ?

Is there any concern about the heat from the refrigerator LP exhaust? I know that flue get's pretty hot and don't want to melt any wires I run back there. I'll be running some 4 gauge battery cables along with a 3 other wires.

When I had my fridge out to service it all the wires that I ran were intact and laying flat on the floor.
Probably if you leave some slack in your cables they will be flat on the floor as well.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting wiring behind the Westy cabinets Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
dcaver01 wrote:

When I had my fridge out to service it all the wires that I ran were intact and laying flat on the floor.
Probably if you leave some slack in your cables they will be flat on the floor as well.

Thanks Timwhy for the reply. Glad to hear that the wires should be safe. I'll be sure to leave some slack so they lay flat on the floor.

Here's some photos of the wiring on mine - just waiting on the new AGM batteries to arrive to finish up the install.

Running the wires from front to back was relatively easy, running the wires from back to front was a little more of a challenge and required some patience.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting wiring behind the Westy cabinets Reply with quote

DanHoug did this, I'd assume it would keep anything from getting too hot? Not exactly why he did it, but I am going to next time I've got mine out. Seems like a great thing to do for a variety of reasons.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9445702

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting wiring behind the Westy cabinets Reply with quote

dcaver01 wrote:

When I had my Dometic, it did not heat damage OE or added wires behind it.

The combustion box gets pretty hot too. If I recall, the 110VAC 14/2 wire typically gets routed behind the lip at rear opening of cabinet. The Dometic combustion box sits pretty low too.

Looking at Dans' images, distance from manifold face where it secures to body, and exhaust-combustion chamber looks like ~ 5". I'd guess there's at least 4" between wires and fridge heat sources.

A tape measure will tell all !

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Getting wiring behind the Westy cabinets Reply with quote

See the water hose to the faucet in Westfield's photo.
I replaced my water hose by attaching a new one to the grungy old one and pulled it through.
I'm sure you could attach some wires to a new hose and pull it all through
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: