Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don't wash your jeans?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
How silly don't wash your jeans. I can me going into a nice restaurant with greasy smelly jeans on.

I like how there is confusion between work jeans and leisure jeans.

I don't wash either regularly. Would you REALLY wear your WORK jeans out and about to something that wasn't fast food, the junkyard, Home Depot or the auto parts store? NO.

If your leisure jeans smell, have grease or dirt on them then something is wrong. You would wash those regardless if that got grease or grime on them. They are basically the same as your regular leisure jacket.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
If your leisure jeans smell, have grease or dirt on them then something is wrong. You would wash those regardless if that got grease or grime on them. They are basically the same as your regular leisure jean jacket.

FTFY
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Keith wrote:
If your leisure jeans smell, have grease or dirt on them then something is wrong. You would wash those regardless if that got grease or grime on them. They are basically the same as your regular leisure jean jacket.

FTFY

Hey Everett, The 80's called......

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Keith wrote:

FTFY

Hey Everett, The 80's called......

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWSwap
Samba Sublime Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents were those "serious" Catholics...where I had to wear dresses to school, freeze my ass off (mind you, in public school). FINALLY my mom gave in, while I was in 3rd grade. And then I got me some bell bottom Levi's for Xmas. Oh yeah...
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 22nd, 2014 CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/22/living/dont-wash-jeans-levis-ceo/index.html?iref=allsearch

(CNN) -- Levi Strauss CEO Chip Bergh has some unusual style advice for 501 fans: Step away from the washing machine.
The denim honcho shared the words of wisdom this week at Fortune's Brainstorm Green conference in Laguna Niguel, California.
Jeans keep legs 'moisturized'
"These jeans are maybe a year old and these have yet to see a washing machine," he said of the pair he wore during a chat onstage. "I know that sounds totally disgusting."

He recommended spot cleaning jeans with a sponge or toothbrush and a bit of detergent, then air drying. He says you should very seldom machine wash.

"If you treat them right, they'll last a long, long time -- probably longer than most people's waistline."

He added that less washing equals greater environmental sustainability.

READ: Do you care where your clothes come from?

It's not new advice. Designer Tommy Hilfiger has made similar comments. And CNN's Anderson Cooper told style expert Stacy London two years ago that he washes his jeans very rarely.

Jeans aficionados may be accustomed to hearing some unusual tips on keeping their denim products fresh. Advice ranges from spot cleaning jeans and never washing them to freezing them to kill any germs.

Jolie Kerr, who writes a column called "Ask a Clean Person," says it depends on your lifestyle and hygiene preferences.

"Consider how you're wearing your jeans and make laundering decisions accordingly," said Kerr, who recently released the book "My Boyfriend Barfed in My Handbag ... and Other Things You Can't Ask Martha."

"The way you'd care for a pair of jeans that you wear for yardwork versus ones you'd wear out dancing should be different -- the function should dictate how you treat a pair of jeans."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a Levis jean jacket in my closet from when I was 15-16 years old. I'm 42 now and I don't think I could button it up. Embarassed Come to think of it, I don't think I ever buttoned it up cause it wasn't cool. Lol

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife told our 10yr old son to wear the same jeans that he had on the day before. He replied," Do you know how many times I farted in those yesterday?"

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sixfootdan -
I've got a leather Member's only jacket to add to the collection. My dad bought it at a yard sale maybe 30 years ago for $5. Hard to get rid of a "good" jacket. Very Happy
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all wearing the wrong pants... LOL

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog wants some of that action zone.

Or he's eying the snack sack, it's probably full of dog treats
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
3foldfolly wrote:
Why wash 'em if you're just gonna put em' back on and go out to the garage again tomorrow night?

X2, I will wear my work jeans to the point a hobo would even be disgusted and only THEN do I finally wash them.

As for my regular non-work jeans, I will wear them until they can basically walk on their own. They only get washed if they get something on them that can't be taken off by spot cleaning or if I went to a bar and they wreak of smoke.
I hate to wash them because the first few times directly after a wash they are tight and uncomfortable, they fit and feel much better the longer you wear them without washing them.

You can still smoke in bars in PA? I figured that was pretty much gone everywhere.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn mine inside out every other thursday, in 2wks flip them back & itry to remember to do my socks at the same time, I think I forgot last time, the dog don't seem to notice tho.
lemke
Samba Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped buying Levis after they outsourced. It's not enough that they save a ton of $$ outsourcing, and I realize that to be competitive they may have had to outsource. But the quality is HORRIBLE. At least if they are saving a fortune outsourcing, they could TRY to make the quality the same. I actually went on ebay and other sites and bought some NOS Levis and an NOS levis jacket - there is no comparison of the quality of the og jacket - it is such good quality and weighs so much more then the crap currently in the stores - the jacket will probably last me the rest of my life.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zav3nd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will continue to wear different jeans daily. But I don't like walking into work already dirty from yesterday.
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wash mine, when they wear out I'll buy more. I finally had to throw my last set away when they ripped beyond repair. I'm mad they don't make 569's anymore.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. I might get six months out of my jeans, they always go at the pocket corners then they blowout. I never sweat it much as long as I remembered to wear underwear that day. I knew over washing was killing them years ago but every time I tried to stretch it a few days the wife would find them and bitch me out for being a soap dodging hippy.

Ya can't win.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion after reading this thread that I will continue to wash my jeans and all my other clothes, That is all Confused

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: