Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tucson kubel replica
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa! hey joe. I know where that motor came from... Wink
I feel special knowing i contributed. I had NO idea that it was this sick, and came out this sick. nice work man. I was looking at the thread, and saw the location, and went.. wait... NO way!
Later dave

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I haven't really been following things much lately and it looks like there are a few questions, so I'll try to answer them.

The steering wheel is probably a late 50's wheel with the fine spline. However, the spline count is exactly double the coarser spline of the earlier shaft and it fits right on. I was told by a steering-wheel expert that there were a couple of years where they went to the finer spline, but kept the older shaft, so this arrangement is not crazy.

Jeff -- I like your suspension solution. I almost have a complete original front end together, but I'm still using the bus stub axles, which would have to be machined down to fit a beetle or kubel drum. It looks like you just modified a beetle spindle, correct?

Sinbad -- I've seen photos of that schwimm and it's very impressive. I wouldn't have thought it possible on a kubel or beetle chassis, actually. I believe I read that it doesn't actually swim, which is not to denigrate the creator of that car, but if I did one I'd want it to be fully functional and I don't see how that could be done without using original components since nothing like them has been manufactured since. Might as well just fork out the ten billion dollars for a real one, I guess. I haven't really thought it through, though. Maybe there's a slick solution out there.

Dave -- this engine has worked out nicely. I'm leaking a little oil from under the shroud; hopefully just the oil cooler seals, but otherwise it has done well. I'm glad you approve of its fate.

-joe
jns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to installing the correct front end in this car. I've had it sitting around for a while, but I didn't have the arms. I intended to fabricate a set, but I procrastinated so long that I came across a set of originals in ok shape. They needed a little work, but they're straight and no problems after 100 miles or so...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wheels came in about 1/4" on each side, but otherwise, the car sits pretty much as it did before...

-joe
Kraftfahrer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe, your kübel looks terrific with the new ,old axle ! I like the pic on the parking lot with palms in the background !
oldbug63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome kübel! Your hard work is definitely showing well, congrats! Smile
jns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I hadn't even noticed the palm trees in the background. Too bad about the parking lot and the trashy shopping center. How's this...

-joe
j5josher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted to know about that dizzy you used.. is that water proof?
jns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distributor is a basic 009 with the shaft (and the notch) cut down a few mm to accommodate the early rotor and cap. Nothing fancy.

-joe
ralphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kubel is frightening at 45mph. Before modifying your setup try running a set of 15" wheels around town. It will feel very normal. My chassis is a stock bug with ball joint front. 16" bias tires with lots of tread are frightening...
73 Type 181 Thing
Oval, 36hp und nichts anderes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Smile

Looks just like a real WWII Kubelwagen, and most people, even a few in the ACVW hobby, wouldn't know it wasn't an original unless they read this thread or were told in person that it was a replica if they saw it IRL.

This thread, and Mr Slug's Schwimmer-recreation thread, gives me hope for reproducing some early VWs someday, like pickup and station wagon prototypes, a Rometsch-built four-door sedan or a Heb, maybe even a VW30 or a preproduction bus like mightymouse's avatar pic. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that amazing! I can't imagine the great work that had been put to it! This is too inspirational because I am planing of building my own kubelwagen this is work gives me the courage to do it too! Congrats for the awesome job well done!☺
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: