Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clear question
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Clear question Reply with quote

I have my son's 3000GT in the garage fixing a few things while he is laid up after ankle surgery.

While it is in there I am going to repaint the front bumper cover due to some peeling clear and some paint that is peeling. I am also going to re-spray the rear wing and mirrors as they have faded from red to a dusty pink.

The front and rear bumper covers have clearly had a respray as they are much brighter red than the rest of the car. However, when the car gets wet the rest of the body, that is duller, it all matches right up. So.....do you think I can scuff those parts with some 600grit and re-shoot some clear to brighten it up?

Remember...this is my son's car and the car is 16 years old. I am also too old to respray the entire thing with base and then multiple coats of clear. It doesn't have to last forever either. Not looking for show quality. Just wondering if a light scuff to the existing base and some clear will brighten it up.
UreKem Paints
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When colors lose gloss they tend to look lighter. Theoretically it is possible to just clear it all to get the gloss back which would likely help the color some. However, if you have everything taped off and scuffed why not apply more color?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent question. I guess maybe cost?

Also all the paint seems to look perfectly the same when it gets washed, other than the rear wing and mirrors. They have faded to a pink so they are getting color along with the front bumper cover. The rest of the paint looks great with no scratches, no rust, no peeling. Just no gloss.

Plus maybe ease as well. I am getting up there in age and painting an entire car really drains me. And finding that block of time isn't easy either. I can however clear a panel a day.

My plan was to scuff everything and then tape off the car and cover it with platic wrap. Then I would expose a panel, tape appropriately, and shoot 2-3 layers of clear. Then leave it overnight, come back and cover that panel and expose another. Kinda like working my way around the car in a couple of weeks.

And remember...its a 16 year old car being driven by a 19 year old kid. Its in nice shape but the New England winters are tough and I am not sure how much longer it might last mechanically (kinda weak engines and trannys).
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say as long as you don't go through to the color coat on your scuffing, you should be all set to re-clear. My only concern would be compatibility between products.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about compatibility but the original finish must be pretty well cured by now. I wrote to the clear manufacturer and their response was it "should" work. They don't like making claims when mixing products.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would just post what I finally did.

The question was about my son's 3000GT. The front bumper cover had some peeling clear and a pretty bug scuff dead center in the middle of it. The mirrors and rear wing had also faded to a lovely pink color. The body was straight with no real dents or any rust. The body color had faded as well and was borderline chalky. I thougth maybe I would prime/paint/clear the nose, wing & mirrors and then clear everything else.

Well after some slightly too aggressive "scuffing" I decided to go ahead like UreKem suggested and re-color the whole thing. Because I am working in a home garage and because I am old I decided to spray it in 3 sections. The front, top and rear, the left side, and the right side.

The front got a coat of epoxy primer after sanding all the issues out. Then I sprayed color and 3 coats of clear. I went to get some Sherwin Williams base coat but it was $275 a quart. This was supposed to be a low budget paint job (19 year old's car...in college...no job..get the picture?). So I ended up with some Martin Senour paint for $70 a quart. 3 quarts was enough and 2 gallons of Kirker EC100 clear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Made a couple of mistakes and corrected them. Got a fleck or two of dirt in the paint...but not bad.

Last edited by jspbtown on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were confident you could make it look like new again, since you've painted a lot of cars in your home garage! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

Its far from perfect but it is alot better than it was.

Just the thing my kid needed after hearing he had to spend 6 more weeks in a plastic boot when he had expected to hear he was ready to play ball again.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, if you want closer to perfect you can take it a few steps further and cut/buff/polish.

Never realized Sherwin Williams cost so much :shrug:
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you know, if you want closer to perfect you can take it a few steps further and cut/buff/polish.

Agreed....I could get a good chunk of the imperfections out with some mroe work. Right now its good enough.

Yeah...I was shocked myself at the cost. Couldn't see spending $825 for just the base.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: