Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semiphore value and info
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Semiphore value and info Reply with quote

this is NOT an ad I am looking for info for a future ad/sell to be placed later

I have try to sale these in the past with little to no interest so I want to get more info on them to so I could find the right buyer
would like to know what years/models these came on and what their value is

there is 3 bases 2 lens(one looks slightly melt not too bad thought) 2 wire connections and copper windings but only one have the plunger inside has one bulb holder
with all these parts I believe you could make two semiphores atleast 90% complete

numbers on the lens are vw 160-141/5 k2693

on the base is 111953021B on two of them and AL143001 all have a vw symbol and SWF symbol too

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be your typical 1953-60 smooth arm semaphore. As you stated, they are incomplete. Probably good for spare parts to a semaphore restoration expert like Matt Ross. I'm guessing value to be about $100/all 3
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: semiphore value and info Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
2 lens(one looks slightly melt not too bad thought)

Don't kid yourself, the lenses are junk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: semiphore value and info Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
joe56vw wrote:
2 lens(one looks slightly melt not too bad thought)

Don't kid yourself, the lenses are junk.

how it that kidding myself? never said they were perfect or even in good to ok shape just said one was slightly melted
I meant it is still useable if that was all you had but I don't really think that lens is worth much or anything at all

Quote:

Looks to be your typical 1953-60 smooth arm semaphore. As you stated, they are incomplete. Probably good for spare parts to a semaphore restoration expert like Matt Ross. I'm guessing value to be about $100/all 3

rareair- $100 is less then I was hoping for but it is what it is I guess
I looked up matt moss and he hasn't logged on in years there any other semiphores guy you know of that might be interested or could give me advice on these?

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: semiphore value and info Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
.. there any other semiphores guy you know of that might be interested or could give me advice on these?

contact user johnshenry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: semiphore value and info Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:

Quote:

rareair- $100 is less then I was hoping for but it is what it is I guess
I looked up matt moss and he hasn't logged on in years there any other semiphores guy you know of that might be interested or could give me advice on these?

Matt Ross is this guy, he is current:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Matt%27s%20Bug%20Parts
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volumex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will have a date code stamped on them. This will tell you the month and year they were built. Someone may pay a bit more if they are trying to match an existing single semaphore. (I paid way too much to get a pair of Jan 54 semaphores when I really needed some April ones, just to get closer than what I had.)

VW changed their part number system around Oct 54. So the 111953021B are post Oct 54 and the AL143001 will be before then. The orange lenses were used in SWF semaphores until Jan 57.

As far as the lenses are concerned - the one on the right looks ok to me. I'd run it. And if the one on the left was the same date code I'd run that lens too even with the damage. I prefer original even if a bit damaged over a poor quality repro.

Some useful semaphore information is located here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/semaphores.php

Date code info is here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: