Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original style reproduction seat frames...
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Original style reproduction seat frames... Reply with quote

I manufacture custom seat frames for antique and classic vehicles. Im thinking about expanding into the VW market and was trying to get a feel for what was avaliable at the present time. We don't make exact replicas but I do build them to the original shapes using the zig zag springs instead of the old school coils. Once upholstered you wouldnt know the difference in most cases. I was wondering if there was any company's currently building replacement seat frames for the early VW's? I've spent some time seatching but Im coming up empty. I'm looking for either original style or aftermarket manufactures of seat frames? Thanks for the help in advance. M.T.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I needed new ones I couldn't find anyone either, but there are plenty of good ones at Interstate in Carlsbad and Elsinore. Might be a tough sell, VW people are notoriously cheap, except for the restoration guys who may balk at the zig zags.

What's your price target for a complete low back frame?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
When I needed new ones I couldn't find anyone either, but there are plenty of good ones at Interstate in Carlsbad and Elsinore. Might be a tough sell, VW people are notoriously cheap, except for the restoration guys who may balk at the zig zags.
What's your price target for a complete low back frame?

I really appreciate the feed back. I havent even got as far as doing a time study to see how much labor costs would be. I was most curious in which models would be the best to first attempt for the air cooled guys. My main interested at this point is exactly what you posted. I was thinking the early bugs and maybe busses where the locks were not involved... Who knows, cant learn if ya dont ask? Thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in Europe (Netherlands?) makes complete repro bus seats. Sorry I do not remember their name. Not cheap and the shipping to the US is going to be pricey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry. I will see if I can find them.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple Bus repro seat ads are below

EVAM CLASSIC
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1535296

antonio velez
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1212201

vwbones123
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1589770

See those people's other ads too, they have other reproduction seats for sale.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much... When you do the currancy conversion rate and then add in the shipping and handling there might be some room for another competitor here. I will be doing some research to find the deminsions on these seats and then see what I can do towards building a few. Any Pros or Cons on building them here in the states?
Thanks again
BerylGreen63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus seat repros are taking advantage of the lack of originals and in my opinion are over priced way overpriced. If you could get a product out in the 700-1000 range I think you would have buyers. Not every bus owner is concerned with the springs but might care about if the legs look original. As far as other models i don't see much of a market, bug seats are easy to find.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the springs are just purchased some where else and then coupled up with the frame for a package deal. I'm sure I could do much better than those prices for those frames. If I could find who they buy the springs from I wouldn't mind putting everything in a box together. I'm sure you can by the springs separate if I just supplied an original looking frame and send Mr customer to someone else for the springs that could work for me as well.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought...but what about re-springing original seat bases/frames?
The drivers seat of my 70 bug is worn out, but there's nothing I can really do about it to make it springy again, except add more foam padding or something or just replace the seat.

Plenty of folks rebuilding other vw parts, radios, wiper motors, carbs etc.
Why not have people ship you the seats, as cores? You don't need to reupholster them, just redo the metalwork.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BerylGreen63 wrote:
The bus seat repros are taking advantage of the lack of originals and in my opinion are over priced way overpriced. If you could get a product out in the 700-1000 range I think you would have buyers. Not every bus owner is concerned with the springs but might care about if the legs look original. As far as other models i don't see much of a market, bug seats are easy to find.

To add to this:
For Bus seats Wolfsburg West did a repro middle seat for a few years but I can't remember how much it was, I think $450-$500?
I heard they stopped doing it because it didn't sell as well as expected but I believe the real issue was they made a 67-only seat. Making a 1-year only seat instead of a 58-63 seat or a 64-66 seat seems strange to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
Just a thought...but what about re-springing original seat bases/frames?
The drivers seat of my 70 bug is worn out, but there's nothing I can really do about it to make it springy again, except add more foam padding or something or just replace the seat.

Plenty of folks rebuilding other vw parts, radios, wiper motors, carbs etc.
Why not have people ship you the seats, as cores? You don't need to reupholster them, just redo the metalwork.

To be honest Its not worth the time and effort as a supplier. People are not willing to pay for the time and effort involved in re springing coil springs in seats. Its old technology that doesnt last. Back in the day labor was cheap as was the materials... Not anymore! Its just not cost effective, Nice yes, but not cost effective.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
BerylGreen63 wrote:

To add to this:
For Bus seats Wolfsburg West did a repro middle seat for a few years but I can't remember how much it was, I think $450-$500?
I heard they stopped doing it because it didn't sell as well as expected but I believe the real issue was they made a 67-only seat. Making a 1-year only seat instead of a 58-63 seat or a 64-66 seat seems strange to me.

What are the differences in 58-63
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.T.- I read this thread with great hopes- but have more questions unfortunately when comparing this thread to your website. First, let me compliment your site- very nice and helpful for the Ford hotrod world- another interest I have. I'm also glad you are researching your future offerings in the VW community.

The big problem I see, however, is the website states your seats will not accept factory seat upholstery kits (and their foam padding for that matter). This is a biggie- as the number of folks making freestyle upholstery (and seats) for VWs vs. using factory-duplicated patterns is very low. When folks freeform the seats- they do wraparound couches and other ghastly things (in buses). You simply have to make frames that accept factory-fitting upholstery (either repro'd factory vinyl or custom tweed/leather/inserts, doesn't matter) as many VW people are also DIYers when it comes to upholstery kits. If that is your plan all along- please forgive my soapboxing.

I would like to see the construction 'skeletal' picture of the seat bases you make- just to see if deeper thicker seats can be built with the current formula. If you decide to do bus seats (especially the front passenger buckets) you are sure to have a following.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Twister wrote:
EverettB wrote:
BerylGreen63 wrote:

To add to this:

What are the differences in 58-63

58-63 is the same middle and rear seat for a Bus.
64-66 the leg by the cargo door is kicked out and the fold-down part fold down at an angle instead of straight forward.

Middle seat thread in Split Bus:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107848
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
M.T.- I read this thread with great hopes- but have more questions unfortunately when comparing this thread to your website. First, let me compliment your site- very nice and helpful for the Ford hotrod world- another interest I have. I'm also glad you are researching your future offerings in the VW community.

The big problem I see, however, is the website states your seats will not accept factory seat upholstery kits (and their foam padding for that matter). This is a biggie- as the number of folks making freestyle upholstery (and seats) for VWs vs. using factory-duplicated patterns is very low. When folks freeform the seats- they do wraparound couches and other ghastly things (in buses). You simply have to make frames that accept factory-fitting upholstery (either repro'd factory vinyl or custom tweed/leather/inserts, doesn't matter) as many VW people are also DIYers when it comes to upholstery kits. If that is your plan all along- please forgive my soapboxing.

I would like to see the construction 'skeletal' picture of the seat bases you make- just to see if deeper thicker seats can be built with the current formula. If you decide to do bus seats (especially the front passenger buckets) you are sure to have a following.

First off let me thank you for taking the time to reply to the thread. I do want to make it clear that I Am Not Selling VW seats at this time. With that said I am only researching the possibility of doing so. If you looked at my web site you would of seen a custom seat page where folks tell me what they want. They supply me their measurement's and I build their seat from those measurements. The Bengels seat site is for HOT ROD Seat frames which are not original in any way other than shape. There are several companies that already build original replica seat frames for antiques and classics so there is no reason for me to go there. www.hotrodseats.com is for early modified vehicles. If I was to build seat frames for VW's it is obvious that I would build something that is as original as possible. If that ever happens I will be sure to either split my site into two and make it very clear what I will be offering. That is the beautiful thing about being a small business, You can turn the corner quickly and do what ever you want! LOL

All this to say let me decide if this is a path I want to go down. If so let me post what I have to offer and we can go from there. What I am doing now keeps me very busy and totally separate from anything I will be doing in the VW direction. Thanks again I truly do appreciate your thoughts and input.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks M.T.- I look forward to an announcement sometime. I do hope your research shows a market- especially for bus seats. Or, sit back and watch a few of the classified ads for middle seats (in particular)- you will have a warm, fuzzy feeling when you know how people will kill each other to get their hands on the right bus seat- and what they'll pay! Cool

Good luck sir, Bradford

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a car builder by trade and honestly believe this stuff has gotten out of hand for the average guy to afford. No wonder the rat rod scene has grown so quickly... Who can afford to build a car with new parts any more. I keep an eye on the competition and make sure that I out business them in every aspect of our business. I promise you if and when I build these seats it will be as affordable as possible. What is the old saying an honest days pay for an honest days work. I do believe in making a fair profit in quanity... not a killing in a few. Keep an eye on the advertisements here as this looks like the place to get the word out first when its time.

Thanks, M.T.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: