Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clinton SC VW Junkyard Auction/Crush Out July 12
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Clinton SC VW Junkyard Auction/Crush Out July 12 Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a repost, or placed in the wrong forum. A buddy showed me a Craigslist ad for a Salvage Yard in Clinton SC with over 70 VW's from 55-86, and some 40's Ford Stuff that is having an absolute auction on July 12. I've already saved my yearly quota of pre-1980 VW's this year, and have other obligations that day in Columbiana Ohio, but I figured I'd pass it on. Looks like a lot of money to be made on cars/parts for someone with some storage. Here's the Craigslist Ad;

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/4536136278.html

And here's the Auctioneers Link from Lakelands Auction Services out of Hodges SC;

http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/2099866.html

I've had my fair share of salvage yards crush out everything after I've pestered them to death about buying a certain car out of the yard, so maybe a few can be saved.

Edit: Looks like they already have an ad;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1187951

I've talked with the owner a few times. It's sad to see the stuff go, but it is what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody heading out tomorrow? I spoke with a buddy from PA, and one from NY that's planning on heading down. Good luck to any that go!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you going to have any luck at this one. Last time I seen those cars a few years ago they were toast then. A buddy of mine checked for me a couple of years ago and nothing better to report. I was looking for a project for my son and he told me he had some great projects available. Paid $20.00 to get into his lot just to see rusted out and poorly clipped cars.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is this the junkyard this guy was talking about?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596300

If it is, would you please ask around and see what happened with the guy and his 7 cars.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Not sure if you going to have any luck at this one. Last time I seen those cars a few years ago they were toast then. A buddy of mine checked for me a couple of years ago and nothing better to report. I was looking for a project for my son and he told me he had some great projects available. Paid $20.00 to get into his lot just to see rusted out and poorly clipped cars.

Rusted out, poorly clipped cars that have been sitting outside in SC are much cleaner than rusted out poorly clipped cars in PA/NY. If you would see the stuff we have to work with up North, your rusted out SC Car would probably be considered to have light surface rust. A lot cleaner than "the car we did last year that needed channels, pans, and 18 of the 25 repair panels in the blow up diagram." 95% of the pictured vehicles for sale on the auction zip listing still had both clips intact, and a lot still had all 4 fenders. And the cars without fenders still had paint/primer on the front wheel well heater channel area, which is 10 times better than what we have to work with up North.

coad wrote:

If it is, would you please ask around and see what happened with the guy and his 7 cars.

Quite possibly. The guy that never picked up his Busses looks like he has 24 hours to get them. I myself am not going down, so sorry, he's on his own.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Volkswagen Junkyard being cleaned out, most cars will start at $500.00 going up.

So this looks like another guy that does not understand that if the scrap yard pays $125 for a Bug after it has been crushed that he should be willing to sell a whole car before it is crushed for $150

My local metal scrap yard pays $7.50 per 100 lbs. for junk cars hauled across the scales to be crushed. That equals $135 for a complete 1800 lb. Super Beetle..
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
pondoras box wrote:

Rusted out, poorly clipped cars that have been sitting outside in SC are much cleaner than rusted out poorly clipped cars in PA/NY. If you would see the stuff we have to work with up North, your rusted out SC Car would probably be considered to have light surface rust. A lot cleaner than "the car we did last year that needed channels, pans, and 18 of the 25 repair panels in the blow up diagram." 95% of the pictured vehicles for sale on the auction zip listing still had both clips intact, and a lot still had all 4 fenders. And the cars without fenders still had paint/primer on the front wheel well heater channel area, which is 10 times better than what we have to work with up North.

coad wrote:

Quite possibly. The guy that never picked up his Busses looks like he has 24 hours to get them. I myself am not going down, so sorry, he's on his own.

I live in Erie so yes I know rust, but I also lived 30 minutes from this guy in SC. One of the most rust encrusted buses I ever owned was found right down the road from this junk yard.

When you look at pics from cars down south check for pine trees. The needles get everywhere and when they slowly rot in the copious rainfall and 90% humidity they get they turn very acidic. Southern cars may not be as bad as northern rust belt cars but they are far from cream puffs.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Quote:
Volkswagen Junkyard being cleaned out, most cars will start at $500.00 going up.

So this looks like another guy that does not understand that if the scrap yard pays $125 for a Bug after it has been crushed that he should be willing to sell a whole car before it is crushed for $150

My local metal scrap yard pays $7.50 per 100 lbs. for junk cars hauled across the scales to be crushed. That equals $135 for a complete 1800 lb. Super Beetle..

you should find another local scrap yard... current scrap car prices are right around $10.75 per 100lb. so if your sellin you gettin ripped about 25% of current rate. now with that said from what i've heard pretty much everything in that yard was roached. i know a coupla people that paid his $20 or whatever it was yard fee and left pissed...
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Quote:

you should find another local scrap yard... current scrap car prices are right around $10.75 per 100lb. so if your sellin you gettin ripped about 25% of current rate. now with that said from what i've heard pretty much everything in that yard was roached. i know a coupla people that paid his $20 or whatever it was yard fee and left pissed...

Scrap prices in Oklahoma are lower than areas closer to either coast or large waterways. Anything scrapped in a landlocked state has to be hauled by rail to a larger facility for further processing, hence the lower scrap price. Finding another local scrapyard is not a viable solution.

I recently hauled 3,900lbs for $312, which works out to $8/100lbs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: