Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just a chick buildin' her own 66
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanders23 wrote:
OutlawAlice wrote:
Thank you so much! Here's what Volkswagnut saw. I'm really loving her new (old?) look much better. Cool

The pinstripes will actually look different once I'm done with them, too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How much was re painted with the Krylon? My 64 is Bahama and will have so areas to blend after repairs. Any close up shots of a repair or painted area.

Looks good.

Anders

All of the edges of the fenders were touched up, as well as the decklid and hood, and the body just behind the front fender. The Krylon match was amazing BUT...she was pretty weathered to begin with. I've had her up against other Bahama Blue bugs and there were subtle shade differences. Even so - I couldn't have gotten a touch up paint better matched to cover repaired areas. I did use an etching primer underneath the Krylon as well.
2008 Dodge Hemi That Does Awesome Burnouts
A shit-ton of antique bicycles
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

Of course I perform a good deed everyday. I want to kill someone, but I don't.
OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Very nice.

Thank you! I'm so proud of her now. Due to work once again becoming overwhelming (a good problem to have), and one of my beloved weenie dogs being diagnosed with IVDD and a slipped/ruptured disc, I haven't been able to make any more significant changes. But I have been driving her enough to get a good start on making up for lost time. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

pdtweeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome job, Alice.....I like the way that you're constantly chippin' away at her to make her better and "yours".

pd
OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at a crossroads. My dizzy is a plain jane 009 that is wearing out pretty badly. My acceleration is crappy and sluggish, and it jumps at idle. I can only drive it short distances right now because the condenser is also failing so once it gets hot, it kicks, sputters and pitches a biyatch. Good time for an upgrade.

What I'd like to have - SVDA with HEI.

I'd simply need vacuum ports for my carb to make a SVDA work for me. I understand that the vacuum advance will help my motor run cooler as well as smooth out the way it runs and I'd get far better acceleration.

My problem is finding one. I looked at Hot Spark, but was turned off by feedback. I can't afford a Mallory.

I'm willing to get a good rebuilt 034 or 010 from a reliable source if I can find one in a price range I can work with.

Any thoughts?
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forget what you ended up with engine wise and am honestly just to lazy today to look. but....

1) is john at aircooled not selling the GOOD svda's anymore? if he is thats where i'd buy.

2) 019 or 010 Bosch but unless you buy a rebuilt from someone like Glenn then it's a crapshoot. i have an 019 on my 2021 but will be going 010 at some point.

3) Mallory, Scat, Treuhaft diistributors are generally curved like the bosch 010. you can also recurve them easily.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1524331
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1647436

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1495261
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1627654

i just sold an EARLY mallory dual point a week ago on here for $40. sold it cheap as i need some fast cash. buyer is a rebuilder/collector and was VERY happy to have it....ken....
OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
i forget what you ended up with engine wise and am honestly just to lazy today to look. but....

1) is john at aircooled not selling the GOOD svda's anymore? if he is thats where i'd buy.

2) 019 or 010 Bosch but unless you buy a rebuilt from someone like Glenn then it's a crapshoot. i have an 019 on my 2021 but will be going 010 at some point.

3) Mallory, Scat, Treuhaft diistributors are generally curved like the bosch 010. you can also recurve them easily.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1524331
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1647436

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1495261
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1627654

i just sold an EARLY mallory dual point a week ago on here for $40. sold it cheap as i need some fast cash. buyer is a rebuilder/collector and was VERY happy to have it....ken....

I have a 1776 with a huge cam. It runs on the hot side and I have to run premium gas. I was wanting an SVDA for the sheer fact that it will drop the running temps and save a little on gas. I've been thinking about talking to Glenn. I had already thought about sending him a couple of my 009's to rebuild and keep on hand. Hmm...
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

define "huge cam"..... i'd be curious if anything to radical would play well with the vaccum signal for the svda.

my 2021 has a Web 163 with 1.36:1 rockers

probably more your compression ratio making you run premium than cam selection. again my 2021 at 9.2:1 likes not only premium but i can tell a difference between premium and ethanol free premium. it will actually run as well on mid grade ethanol free as premium with ethanol( had to put a coupla gallons on mid in when my ethanol free station was out of premium and i was almost out of gas. it's a wash though as midgrade ethanol free is the same price as regular premium.
OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
define "huge cam"..... i'd be curious if anything to radical would play well with the vaccum signal for the svda.

my 2021 has a Web 163 with 1.36:1 rockers

probably more your compression ratio making you run premium than cam selection. again my 2021 at 9.2:1 likes not only premium but i can tell a difference between premium and ethanol free premium. it will actually run as well on mid grade ethanol free as premium with ethanol( had to put a coupla gallons on mid in when my ethanol free station was out of premium and i was almost out of gas. it's a wash though as midgrade ethanol free is the same price as regular premium.

The cam was already in the motor as well as a lightened and balanced crank. It was machined and new Mahle bearings were installed along with hi lift cam lifters. Well, basically a full rebuild around the cam and crank since they were both essentially brand new. Dave, the builder, said the cam was big and said he didn't measure it since it wasn't necessary. I'll upload a video of the lope and post the link so you can get the idea.

Hubby accidentally put low grade in the bug once and it sounded like crap. I ran it out and went back to premium. I was wondering about the ethanol free, and since you say you've had experience at least I know that's an option.
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video where you can tell how much it lopes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S11GwGIa8Y&list=UUgfYp3yWwt7DoA3AbabGFBA
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that lope is not a "big cam" lope. thats a "needs tuning/work" lope. it's bigger than stock but i don't think it's anything to crazy. this ain't a small block chevy and theres lots of sbc/sbf/etc type quotes there. and i'm not trying to be an ass i'm just trying to help so don't think that.

any "builder" that says it wasn't necessary to measure in my opinon is full of it. when dan and i built my 2021 EVERYTHING was measured. most things 5,10,20 times. the cam was spec'd as soon as it came out of the box.

i'm guessing lightened and balanced mean counterweighted and balanced. it would have higher lift rockers as another.....

but yeah do the net search and find an ethanol free station. it's gonna be $.25-.50 more per gallon but if yours is like mine worth the extra.

i think if i put reg unleaded in mine it'd kinda be like going to the rodeo hahaha...ken...
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep ^... mostly what he said....

When a Vw engine (really most engines) has any type of performance cam.. needs to be idled up a bit, usually to 1000-1300.

Everybody is down on 009 distributors these days... I've never had any serious issues with any of mine over the years.
If its a stock snooze cruiser, yes a vacuum advance works best, but with a few upgrades sometimes a cetrifugal advance is the best way to go.

Define "runs on the hot side"...
Whats hot.. the heads, the case, the oil..?
These are really 2 cooling systems in one package. Air and oil.
What you measure at the heads and cylinders is generally not whats measured at the case and oil.

Have you spoken with the engine assembler about your issues?

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nut,

you're also probably like me in that you nothing wrong with them 009 experience is probably mainly from og bosch units in good working order. the flood of cheap 009s over the last 25 years(mostly made in china) has killed those experiences. my last experience with one was 5-6 years ago when i traded for the 65 java green bug. we met in atlanta since he was from b'ham and me coming from nc. i barely made it out of atlanta before the cheap chrome 009 and it's cheap points conversion started giving me trouble. after a 7hr struggle to get home the next day the first thing a did was pull that out and replace it with an 019, new bosch wires, fresh set of NGK's, valve adjustment, and an oil change since it was now gassy as hell. that thing went from the worst powerless turd to one of the best running vw's i've ever owned with a coupla hours of work and a coupla hundred in parts. oh and i took the annoying as stinger off to which probably helped hahaha....ken....
OutlawAlice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Yep ^... mostly what he said....

When a Vw engine (really most engines) has any type of performance cam.. needs to be idled up a bit, usually to 1000-1300.

Everybody is down on 009 distributors these days... I've never had any serious issues with any of mine over the years.
If its a stock snooze cruiser, yes a vacuum advance works best, but with a few upgrades sometimes a cetrifugal advance is the best way to go.

Define "runs on the hot side"...
Whats hot.. the heads, the case, the oil..?
These are really 2 cooling systems in one package. Air and oil.
What you measure at the heads and cylinders is generally not whats measured at the case and oil.

Have you spoken with the engine assembler about your issues?

I've spoken with him on several occasions. He did an inspection on my current 009 and said it was badly worn. He still says my issue is the ignition. He has another new 009 and a hotter coil for me to try if I can get it from him. It's hard to catch up with him.

The carb was tuned (by someone I trust as far as carbs go) as well and he also states my ignition is crap. He says the carb is not my issue and that once I get a better dizzy, the carb may even need to be re-tuned.

As for hot - it seems everything is hot. It's difficult to tell which is really the hottest - the case gets livid hot after about a 45 minute run. BUT so do the heads. I haven't found another long thermometer with a high temp reading, but the one I have shows oil temps to be around 250 to 275 after same said 45 minute run.

Do I need to revisit the builder??
A couple of mini-bikes
A pair of roller skates

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckystiff wrote:
nut,

you're also probably like me in that you nothing wrong with them 009 experience is probably mainly from og bosch units in good working orde....

Yep...stiff... Wink I haven't bought a 009 in 20 years.. and... I've used ONE ignitor.. Points just work... The old ways dont mean bad or wrong ways..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and being out of tune will make it run hot more than just about anything else.

i have gauges to monitor oil pressure, oil temp, and cylinder head temp and think they should be in any "built" engined car.

that idle needs to come up and i'd bet the timing isn't even close either for starters. that "potato potato potato" sound is for badly tuned harleys. not so much for vw's.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OutlawAlice wrote:
[q
As for hot - it seems everything is hot. It's difficult to tell which is really the hottest - the case gets livid hot after about a 45 minute run. BUT so do the heads. I haven't found another long thermometer with a high temp reading, but the one I have shows oil temps to be around 250 to 275 after same said 45 minute run.

Do I need to revisit the builder??

Yep thats TOO hot for the oil.. too cold for the cylinders and heads..

If you know the distributor is bad... then get a good old one or have your old corrected. You have to choose which is the best distributor for you. I think you could be fine with either a good centrifugal or vacuum.. if your carb will accept it.
Then reevaluate.

It would have to be some seriously wrong timing issues to get the heat up that high.. in that short amount of time. You know it has igntion issues sooooo may be where all th heat is cming from

With ...Vw's I rarely go for all the gauge treatment.. If its right... its right.

As luckystiff mentioned.. with a performance engine some like to view as much data as they can... not a bad thing.
With some...it can be so much data it makes drivers worry about things that are nothing to worry about. .

Hopefully the engine cooling air is properly sealed from the top to the bottom.. or at least tennis balled.
and !!!!!
NO high pressure oil springs are installed.
If it has one of those oil pressure boosters.. the oil is bypassing the cooler until its too late..

Only your assembler knows whats in there. Yep you need to ask..
Usually and often edited
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your distributor is not your only problem. it may be part of the problem but it's not the only problem. i will dig through my pile when i'm in the garage tomorrow and see if i have a good distributor of any type. if so i'll GIVE it to you. only one i know where it is just happens to be a chrome 009 with a stripped out points plate so pretty much a slug. in fact anything else type1 you may want need let me know. i'm pretty sure i have 1 or more type1 headers laying around in my way. who knows what else. i gave the guy that bought the last 1 i had a bunch of stuff just to get some room back. if i'm not coming to a show you guys are at i can probably throw whatever in the Bentley's car and make Charlie get it to you. i don't forsee myself with another type1 unless someone all but gives me one. i've had my share and am way happier playing type3. though i can see a ghia project and probably a thing somewhere in my future....
fadumpt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading through your progress and it was great to watch it come together and now I'm looking forward to your future updates.

I'm in Greer, so it'll be cool to see it around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50
Jump to:
Page 50 of 50

Jump to: