Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I increase the oil fill when I've installed a cooler/filt
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
planejob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Do I increase the oil fill when I've installed a cooler/filt Reply with quote

Ie got an 1600 engine in my rail with a spin on filter and an external oil cooler. The filter is mounted at the same level as the top of the engine, and the cooler is mounted above the fan shroud.
It seems to me the oil that is in these elements and their associated lines will need to be filled, but when they drain back, since they are above the the engine, will it overkill the crankcase and cause issues?

Currently, 4qts will bring the oil level to the full Mark on the dipstick- measured 1 minute after engine shutdown.

However, measured later, after all the oil has drained down, the dipstick indicates a severe over fill situation.

I don't want to starve the engine of oil while it is running, or cause aeration in the pump, but I don't want to blow out any seals or tubes...
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put in an anti drain back check valve with 1psi crack pressure
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is not gonna help, but IMO oil coolers are not worth the trouble unless the motor is overbuilt. I was foolish enough to run one on just a 1600 and it didn't last long. Just sayin. If it gets to be a pain, and you don't have a big monster engine, scrap it. You might be better off.

I do like a spin on filter built into the side of the oil pump though. Mine just gives me piece of mind,( and I guess you could say it adds more surface area to cool oil.)
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
IMO (external) oil coolers are not worth the trouble unless the motor is overbuilt.

AMEN!

The stock oil coolers are capable of cooling a much bigger motor than stock. If you hare running high oil temps, clean your stock oil cooler, reinstall it, and sell the external cooler to some other sucker in the classifieds. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the filter have an anti drain-back valve? I know this stops lifter rattle in V8s etc with hydraulic lifters and is critical in engines with oil-operated cam timing etc

Could starving the bearings at start-up (while the lines and accessories are being pumped full of cold oil) be more of a concern than a high tide within the crankcase?

As others have mentioned, extra accessories and equipment is useless if you don't need it - and with a 1600 in a light vehicle, you really don't need it...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: