Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pickup help needed
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Pickup help needed Reply with quote

Ok so I've not owned a water cooled vw yet but have had my eyes on the rabbit pickup, I've had a good amount of aircooled but have no knowledge of water cooled at all. I've found one in a junkyard but sadly the fenders were all cut but it is awesome with tons of original logos on it but is too much work, so then I looked some more and found a buddie here in town has like 6 or 7 of them, he would be willing to sell me one for a good price but it dosent have a gas tank. I've done tons of research and from what I've found the rabbit pickup came with a different tank rather than other mk1 which it was 16 gallons? Where can I find one of these tanks? Anyone reproduce them? Could I use a gas tank off a different model? The one that I want to buy from him is a sports truck and is complete but it isn't running, how hard is it to work on it and get one running? Anything I need to look out for? Thanks everyone so much I want one bad just don't know where to start any help is greatly appreciated!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1980 that I bought with just 34000 miles on it back in 1985, Drove it about 170000 miles before parting with it. Never had any problems much.
CV joints, Water ran into the car where the radio antenna comes in and followed the antenna wire to the fuse box where it raised havoc with the fuses and relays until I figured that out. It did hold about 15 gallons of gas! Mine was gas. The plug on the back of the Ignition switch got loose and started to fall off and stranded me a few times before I figured it out. Keep the connector to the ECM cleaned up and greased. OH keep the mud cleaned out of the body around the front struts so it can't rust there.

Your probably going to have to get a universal gas tank if you can't find a good used one. I did a search and it looks like there one made by Spectra that may work! Check it out: e-bay.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If diesel build your own.... The 28gal aluminum tank made in 80s fit the stock 18 gal tank area... Filled my caddy up all time with 18 gal from multi stations.... It was taller then stock tank.... Just a square box with angle corner to miss exhaust...

The people who made spare tire tanks, also made behind back seat jeyta ones, i have in my coupe, the big caddy tank... I know where one is to copy, so no not crazy... They were all old dusty nib stock in 94 when gktten....
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will not work for cis.... Cis tank made to hold pressure, why they went to intank pumps feeding main fuel pumps in 85... To eliminate tanks pressure requirement
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@danwvw: Ok awesome thank you for all the information that will all come in handy!! I will be sure to check all of those things and hopefully can find a tank and get one running.

@crsmp5: awesome thank you so much!! I will see if I can't build one if I do get a diesel. But that information all helps out a ton I couldn't find any other information anywhere about the gas tanks
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of my daily driver for some inspiration. If you have any questions/concerns, just contact me. Always happy to help a newbie.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you're inspiring me. Laughing

Now, I really miss my paint shaker Crying or Very sad the term my wife once gave mine.
VpW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stewardc wrote:
Here's a picture of my daily driver for some inspiration. If you have any questions/concerns, just contact me. Always happy to help a newbie.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Damn... Not a nit to pick (as if I had the right). I'd drive that for a long time.
Cheers.
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven it every day (almost) in the summer for 8 years now and I couldn't be happier.
bugmangti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: fuel tank Reply with quote

if you have not found one yet let me know, just parked a gas truck last yr!!!
BigPapaYams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Pickup (aka Caddy) info Reply with quote

Hey there! 58 Euro!
I hear ya. I finally bought my first Pickup in March (been wanting one since the first one I saw in 1980) and love it - it's a 1981 and my daily driver. Also picked up another (not running yet), a 1980.

There is another forum to check out where there is A LOT of info to be had on Mk1 water-cooled VW (of which the pickup is one). Check out VWVortex.com. You'll want to get to the Mk1 Rabbit/Jetta forum.

Where are you located? Rust can be a MAJOR factor, especially in the floor pans, MacPherson strut towers and windshield frame areas. I have been astounded at the projects I have seen on the forum where folks have bought an absolute pile of junk (in my eyes) and then replaced so much metal that they almost had a new truck!!

BUY THE ROBERT BENTLEY MANUAL (there are two flavors: one is gasoline, the other diesel).

Ping me if you want to chat or get a dose of enthusiasm.

1980 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (purchased not running - still not running)
1980 Rabbit Pickup (purchased not running and ugly but good potential) with 1.5L diesel & 4-speed
1981 Rabbit Pickup (my daily driver) 1.6L diesel & 5-speed
2009 Yamaha T-Max scooter (SOLD)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: