Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake pads for Split Beetles
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Brake pads for Split Beetles Reply with quote

I need new brake pads for my 1950 split. I have an NOS set of the old riveted pads for the front and rear? Then I heard that you can use newer bonded pads from maybe an oval?? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Tim
coolparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early oval brake shoes work But. You have to use the oval adjuster screws
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58-64 REAR shoes fit with no modification. Front and rear.

Do NOT use oval (slanted) shoes and stars with the split spring setup. On ovals the spring pulls at a diagonal, perpendicular to the adjusting star. The split springs are all horizontal/parallel. Using the parallel springs and slanted adjusters will cause problems after a lot if driving (like hundreds of miles). Essentially you shoes will drag no matter how you adjust them

Will
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsplitvw wrote:
58-64 REAR shoes fit with no modification. Front and rear.

Do NOT use oval (slanted) shoes and stars with the split spring setup. On ovals the spring pulls at a diagonal, perpendicular to the adjusting star. The split springs are all horizontal/parallel. Using the parallel springs and slanted adjusters will cause problems after a lot if driving (like hundreds of miles). Essentially you shoes will drag no matter how you adjust them

Will

Thanks Will, that is good information, any chance you have pics from your resto?(or ref. documentation on this) Question
They will certainly clarify things for us split drivers. Idea Plus answer the OP's questions. Cool
Nancy did the conversion to dual-circuit MC on mine and they feel great...but as you noted, a time will come when they'll need renewing.
Now I'll have to inventory my parts stash (IIRC there's some NOS pads like you described in there somewhere.).Wink
Cheers,
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chased gremlins in my own 52 brakes for a long time. I had oval shoes, with slant adjusting stars. With the "horizontal" springs. I drove the car with this setup, quite a long time actually. They would line up fine, and adjust fine, but after driving if you took a jack and lifted up the car they would drag ever-so-slightly. Never enough to slow you down, or even be noticed while driving, but enough to give a good "psssshhhhhhhtttttttttt" when you lifted the car and spun the wheel.

I spent a huge amount of time pouring over factory manuals, and this is the best conclusion I could come to. After changing the shoes and the starts to the flat/horizontal style the car stops better, and after lifting the car after a drive there is zero friction from the brakes. (yes, you should adjust to a slight drag for bleeding purposes but that's a different story).

Pics:
"split style" the springs by the adjusting stars are horizontal based on the plane of the shoes
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"oval style" - the springs pull the shoes at an angle. This angle corresponds to the slant in the notch in the adjusting star

"square style" VW GMBH must have given up on this newfangled slanted spring contraption and returned to parallel springs for the duration of Beetle production. Again adjusting star slots are not slanted.

I've asked 20 different people, and received 20 different answers. I present only my own experience. I'm sure there are people out there who have been working on VWs for decades longer than I that disagree with me, and I am always open to wisdom from those who have insight to give.

On my car the drag on the shoes was not enough to be noticed while driving, but it was there. The problem was fixed instantly using the non-slanted shoe/star setup. I'm sure you could drive a car across the United States with a mismatched setup, but how much heat is a little drag going to generate? Especially if you decide you want to go from 60-0 in a big hurry.

Will
oldsplitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hypothesis is based on the following: Look at the middle (oval) picture. The two slanted springs would pull the shoes upward, while the slant of the two notches in the adjusting screw would eventually push the shoes downward. The angles correspond identically, so this works if the setup all matches.

If you run the slanted shoes/adjusters with the split style springs. the slanted adjusting slots would ultimately pull the shoes downward when the brakes are applied (toward the wheel cylinder), and the horizontal spring would do nothing except exacerbate the problem. There would be no return-pull to center the shoes. This is exactly what I found on my car. After yanking the drums, the shoes were worn near the cylinder and nowhere else.

Again, I am no expert in this, only an enthusiast who has worked hard to make is own car road worthy. I am welcome and very interested in the opinion of fellow enthusiasts, weekend mechanics, etc etc.

Will
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: brake pads for a 1950 split Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks to Will and others for the info. I need it. Will I may just
e-mail you to make sure I understand. It counds like I can just find 1958 to 1964 bonded beetle brake pads and install them on my 1950 split without any changes and they will work? is that correct? Front and back? I am sure they will be wider and way better than the rivited originals. Tim
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pads for Split Beetles Reply with quote

vintage fiberglass wrote:
I need new brake shoes for my 1950 split. I have an NOS set of the old riveted shoes for the front and rear? Then I heard that you can use newer bonded shoes from maybe an oval?? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Tim

Fixed that for you since splits never came with brake pads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Brake pads for Split Beetles Reply with quote

tattoo_5678 wrote:
vintage fiberglass wrote:
I need new brake shoes for my 1950 split. I have an NOS set of the old riveted shoes for the front and rear? Then I heard that you can use newer bonded shoes from maybe an oval?? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Tim

Fixed that for you since splits never came with brake pads.

Ah yes, That's 21st Century minds referring to last century's technology. Embarassed
Appreciate the clarification Tattoo 5678
So it's the NOS brake linings (and rivets) I'll be looking for amongst the cobwebs around my parts cache. Wink Arrow
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call these guys, they can reline shoes and resleeve your hydrulics.

Brake Parts and Materials
800 Sherman Blvd
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46808
Today 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.Phone (260) 426-3331
Email [email protected]
Website http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com

Best to call, the web host sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Very interesting!

I own a VW Oval (1953).Father bought this car new in July of that year.Ten years ago I fully restored the Oval.
The shape of the brake shoes is the same as for a Split.The only difference is that the upper spring at the adjuster is one piece instead of two shorter ones.
All the brake shoes have rounded ends, also the original VW shoes 58-64 (see pictures above).
But the aftermarket shoes 58-64 (rear 30mm) have straight ends.

www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1275446

I wonder if these aftermarket bonded brake shoes will also work for Splits and Ovals before 1954.
I do not know what the intention is of the original VW shoes with rounded ends.
Has anyone ever installed those aftermarket bonded brake shoes 58-64 on a Split and what is the experience of this?
Or could there be a problem with the return-pull to center the shoes after braking?

Thanks in advance and best regards from Belgium,

Armand
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Is there anyone who has ever done this? Sad
Or anyone who can answer me?
Maybe "vintagefiberglass" or "oldsplitvw" ?

Best regards, Armand
Sameleon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Here is my project. My recommendation is to try recover original brake shoes instead of buy a replica parts. Rounded ends are highly recommended by VW, but there is no problem to regrind liners.

http://www.samsgarage.org/projects/1950-brezel-aus...o-oblozeni
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.Very Happy

So the best thing is to use the original brake shoes with the rounded ends.
Original riveted linings will be difficult to find but I have found some from the brand FRASLE with rivets.

Nice website and beautiful work!Applause

Kind regards, Armand
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: