Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keyless entry and alarm kit? Help 2 recommend
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natureboi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Keyless entry and alarm kit? Help 2 recommend Reply with quote

Hey there guys, thinking of installing keyless entry and alarm for my type 3.

Can anyone recommend where to purchase a kit for them please?

And what are your experiences?

Many thanks guys!
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Keyless entry and alarm kit? Help 2 recommend Reply with quote

Natureboi wrote:
Hey there guys, thinking of installing keyless entry and alarm for my type 3.

Can anyone recommend where to purchase a kit for them please?

And what are your experiences?

Many thanks guys!

My experience is not with alarm kits, it's with the destruction that the installation process by "professional installers" does to the wiring. Evil or Very Mad I would have to say that 99% of ALL wiring issues in a VW are due to either alarms or stereo installations done by these "pros". If you must instal one, do the install yourself so you know it's done right.

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a 'Hawk' alarm / central locking kit which I bought via eBay here in the UK to my Type 3 a few years back. Worked well and a fairly simple conversion. As with any ACVW, tricky bit is making a neat cable route into the doors.

One thing I found is that there is a tiny torsion spring in the door lock which provides some resistance to the lock mechanism, in effect to make it 'over-centre' in either locked or unlocked position, so the button doesn't drop due to driving vibrations etc.

This spring was too stiff for the central locking actuators to overcome, so will need to be removed. This didn't cause any problems with the lock mechanism.

For the rear tailgate (on a squareback) I had a dummy lock barrel made as there is no other way to get central locking on the tailgate operational. You cannot use the original lock barrel as either it won't spin without the key in, or if you remove the lock plates it can be easily opened with a screwdriver or fingernail in the key slot.

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: