Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jim's VW - [email protected] - Leeds, Alabama
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Jim's VW
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: June 01, 2016
hhadlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Jim's VW - [email protected] - Leeds, Alabama Reply with quote

Jims VW in Leeds, Alabama
http://www.jimsaircooled.com

Don't buy from Jims VW. I bought a 2180cc motor from him that was advertised thru The Samba. Motor was advertised with 92mm pistons and cylinders, 44mm empi carb, and VZ 15 cam. Tore motor down last Sunday, turns out motor has 90.5mm pistons and cylinders, 40mm carb and a used Engle 120 cam. This man can not be trusted and will not respond to repeated phone calls and emails, do not but anything from him! Evil or Very Mad
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt sound like Jim. I have delt with him several times with no problems..
Jim's VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Engine Reply with quote

Jim tested the engine and packed it and then took it to the freight co. The freight co. then inspected the packing and engine and accepted it. The freight co. dropped the engine. Mr. Hadlock accepted the engine and then wanted Jim to pay for it because the freight co. dropped it. Seeing that we are not liable now he says we are false advertising. Jim even offered to fix the engine were the freight co. messed it up. So, that is what happened. People who have dealt with Jim over the 35 years he has been in business knows that he treats his customers right.

Tracy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hhadlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy,

You guys sold me a motor that was not as advertised.
You said the motor had 92mm pistons and cylinders in actuality it has 90.5 mm piston and cylinders, you said it had vz 15 cam in actually has a Used Engle 120 cam, you said it had a 44mm carb it actually has a 40mm carb. I still have the email you sent me with this info and the add if you would like to reread it. I offered to pay the shipping back to you and get my money back, Jim initailly said o.k. but the next day I got an email saying no. Know that I have torn down the motor to find out what things are wrong with it, I can see why you wouldn't want it back. If Jim is the oustanding guy you think he is, why would he put parts in a motor different then what was advertised. I ask you and Jim to ask yourselfs what is the wright thing to do here. You know you sold me a motor that was not as advertised, you know you should have crated the motor, not wrapped it in bubble wrap and tied it down with straps and zip ties. Yes the shipping company dropped the motor, but they did not put the motor together and advetrtise it with different parts. You falsed advertised!! Plain and simple.
hhadlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinatge Volks

Drop me an email I can tell you all about it. Can also proove it sense I have all the meails and parts. No doubt about it, Advertised and email part list to me, torn motor down, parts not as advertised!
hhadlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy,

Christian man you say. I believe you and Jim had better look into your souls and ask your higher power what is true. Did you or did you not sell a motor that had parts different than was advertised? Remember I have all the parts and the original emails.
Semister86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Ripped off! Reply with quote

At first this seems like a nice mom and pop shop. Till the owner ripped me off. Payed good money for a hard to find part for my bug and he sold me an empty shell. He closed up shop as i was leaving at 2:30 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. I got to the end of the dirt road and took a second look at the part and found the part was empty. So I called him and thought it was a mixup. Told him the situation he Promptly hung up and wouldn't return my calls. If it wasn't for the sign in his shop that says "All sales are final, items sold as is" i would follow legal actions. This is a shady old man who will take advantage of who ever he wants. i was prepared to spend thousands of dollars of money with him on the restoration of my car. Not now!!!
cece
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Jim Leeds alabama Reply with quote

Don't buy or use anything from this so called preacher.
He ripped me off on a type 4 rebuild.
nughuffer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Jim's vw Reply with quote

Made verbal deal on Jim's vw 65?????????? Velvet green bus.
He said deal at 3800. Call the next day and arrange payment vie card over phone. I said ok. He called me first thing in the am telling me how many people are calling emailing etc, and to get the velvet green65?????????? I would have to send a cashiers check, which protects me as a seller in no way. I then asked why and he said this is a once in a lifetime kind of deal and I had to. Then said because he would get running and sell for more. Has not ran in ten years, I bet that is way easier said than done, month later if and countless dollars.
He said because to run the card would charge 76 dollars and he would not receive payment for 2-3 days! So I had to mail a non recordable, bank laughed at me when I ran it by them,,, cashiers check. Because he needed the money. So if I mailed a cashiers check 2-3 days. And then he deposits it and it clears a day or so later. That would be way better than protecting both of us via third party! I have the cash and want the bus I was agreed to and can arrange shipment and immediate payment. He said deal. I said deal.
Something does not seem rite here! Especially after reading all of this negative feedback almost hidden on the samba.
kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Tried to buy the 84 camper Reply with quote

I would advise anyone considering doing business with this seller to be extremely cautious. I made initial contact about the 84 bus via email and followed up with a few phone calls to confirm details of the bus and confirm that there was "free and clear title"; verbally, Jim assured me that he had it.
I rented a U-Haul truck and trailer, talked a friend into joining me and drove down to Leeds, AL with a cashiers check in hand for the asking price. When i arrived to the junkyard and shop at Jim's VW, Jim was there at 7:30 am and proceeded to show us the bus. Several parts were needed from vehicles in the yard, so we began to work on taking them off ourselves (he had said they'd be off when we got there). He was very willing to throw in some seals and help with this and that (let us borrow tools, etc.). All seemed well. But about an hour into the process, about the time my buddy gets stung by a wasp, he tells us he can't put his hands on the title! Oh, I think well, keep looking I tell him and maybe it'll turn up. But, soon we see that a 'secretary' we briefly saw earlier was gone and Jim was burning papers in the driveway in front of the bus! A little odd. Then he's bopping around doing other stuff and has given up looking! When I ask him what the deal is and why the chick left and he's no longer looking for the title he gets defensive and states that he has a business to run. more odd-I pointed out that I was there to conduct the business of buying a bus. It all made no sense and we walked. I made sure he knew that he cost me a good bit of money with all this and he acted completely unconcerned. I left without a fuss and he agreed to contact me if he found it and give me first refusal. A week later i get a scanned AL title with the correct VIN and a bill of sale showing that he paid $500 for the bus. I never got even the beginnings of an apology from the guy and he refused to budge on the price later for my troubles, so I refused the deal. I can't see giving someone like that my money. The motor was not running and had the fuel system disassembled. I can only assume that the motor is toast otherwise he'd fix it and get more for it. My advice on this seller, there are better people in the vw business to spend your money with.
B
bamabug11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Amazing... Reply with quote

You guys (and girls maybe?) really crack me up. I started reading this thread because I couldn’t believe how awesome Jim was and helping me find nearly impossible parts the other day. All I have read are you idiots smashing Jim when you haven’t even realized how most of your arguments make you sound like complete idiots. I know of over 10 people that deal with Jim, and referred him to me, and have never had a bad thing to say. I never jump into stuff like this…that is until hancock up there decided to be an amazing person and go after Jim and his faith. That’s probably about the size of the man you are anyways, but running to your computer to do that is a cowards move. By doing that I can see you’re obviously not a Christian, that goes for cece’s pizza too. Pitiful, you all bought USED goods, which you all could see, touch, and should have known what they were. Semister…? Dude, had your hands on the part, paid him, walked to your truck, drove all the way down that hill AND THEN decided to inspect it? How would Jim know if you didn’t do something to it trying to take a little more? That’s business 101, but the fact you verbally admitted that shows your IQ, also that he “hung up” on you? It took me 10 minutes after leaving to get service again…maybe the call dropped? orrr you could have drove back another time? He isn’t a horrible man; he probably would have worked with you even though business wise I wouldn’t have. I did this for the other people reading this thread. Remember for every 1 unhappy person…there’s 20 happy you never hear about. Do not let them scare you away. He really is a good man and will help you the best he can and probably bend over backwards if he could. They are just sour because of their decisions, like hancock up there, he had a chance to have it looked at and fixed but decided to take it anyways….get this…take the entire thing apart…and then want to start a fuss. Yea, go buy an engine or transmission…take it home…take it all apart and THEN call them back and say it’s missing stems or the ratio isn’t right and see if they help you. How do they know you didn’t swap the parts or lose them? No sympathy, just be smart and use common sense (I know I know some people lack that) If anything I just wanted to say thank you to Jim and give a great EDUCATED review. Accomplished. For the last few, sorry didn’t read yall’s, just got a little pitiful after a while. See ya soon Jim!

I’ll be praying for you hancock and cece… Very Happy
s2media
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid this guy AT.ALL.COSTS!

Bought a turn-key motor last October that took twice as long to build at a quoted $700 higher price that came with used components and had excessive blow-by. He scoffed at me when I informed him about the blow-by and said it just needed to seat in.
Okay, fair enough, I'll drive it some more...

After another week and more miles, it's getting worse and now I'm scared of a fire hazard oil coating every damn thing! I call him again and he reluctantly (why?) agreed to look at it if I drove it up there.

So I did and after a week, he tells me there is nothing wrong with it. What that tells me is he didn't even look at it. His recommendation is it still needs to seat in. Nevermind the massive amount of oil in the freshly cleaned and painted engine bay with HIS motor!

So, I drive it some more, in fear that someone is going to call the EPA and report me for destroying the environment on a grand scale. I keep an eye on the oil level like a hawk! Stopping every few miles to check it. With no decrease in the amount of oil being spewed out, I call him again and tell him something needs to be done about it. This will be the 3rd time he's had it and it needs to be resolved. He said he'd look at it but only if I brought him just the motor as he has no room for a Bus. Oh, so this must be his way of 'sticking it to me' for demanding proper service on a sick motor he built. Force me to take it out instead of him, if it needs to be removed. Fine, whatever! I take him the motor and after almost 2 weeks, he tells me it's ready. His diagnosis: low oil.
Seriously?! That's what you're going to tell me is causing the blow-by and all that misting, low oil? I asked if he even ran the motor at all to see the blow-by. Nope, never ran it at all. He'd rather dismiss what I'm seeing as factual and run with his opinion that his work is perfect.

Long story short, he threatened to charge me for looking at it as this wasn't covered under warranty. When he ignored my request to hook it up to his make-shift engine running stand, I realized that's why he didn't want the motor in the Bus. He KNEW if it runs, he'll see the blow-by and be obligated to do warranty work. So he figures, out-of-sight out-of-mind. I even showed him the video but he didn't want to look at it. So we argued. He argued that this isn't warranty work because nothing is wrong with it other than just low on oil. I pressed him on all the oil over the engine and he said it 'may' be coming up from underneath the filler cap.
What.the.hell?! Lol, are you joking?!
He threatens to call the cops because I'm demanding him to run the engine and see for himself how it's screwed up. Ok, fine, I took the motor and left and still have it with a funky bottle/hose contraption to collect the misting oil until I figure out how I want this to go down. Before I left, I asked if he would be a man and honest businessman to honor the warranty if this motor craps out. He said he would but I don't put any value into his comments.

Avoid this guy like the plague, what I posted here is only the tip of the iceberg of crap I've had to deal with from this guy.

bamabug11 wrote:

All I have read are you idiots smashing Jim when you haven’t even realized how most of your arguments make you sound like complete idiots.
If anything I just wanted to say thank you to Jim and give a great EDUCATED review. Accomplished.

I doubt anyone with any sense would consider a review that is nothing but 'bash this guy, bash that guy', such as yours, an 'educated' review. Clearly you don't understand what a critical review is and what smashing someone is.
The only idiot here is you, jumping in with your kiss-butt comment thinking that somehow, your opinion can discredit the fact that others have been ripped off in one form or another.
kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Jims VW is why there is a Feedback Button Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about s2media's story. If I had found all Jim's VW's feedback on the Samba before I drove down to Leeds to tow a bus home I could have saved a pile of money and time. This kind of garbage is why they put the Feedback button feature on this site. Spread the word about this feature and Jim's VW.

Incidentally, during my on-going search for a bus I came across another Jim's VW worth sharing. At a legitimate southern vw shop, someone there recounted being paid by one of their clients to disassemble one of Jim's engine builds. It was supposed to be a custom build with a fancy cam, tuned, etc. Turned out to be bone stock with after-market crap in it. And the owner was sad enough about the whole deal to pay another shop for the autopsy!

I would agree that Jim is not to be trusted and would not recommend anyone give the man their money. Furthermore, I would strongly encourage s2media and any other victims to petition the Samba administrator to pull their ads as they clearly rely on this site to fish for future victims. (the bus I attempted to buy from Jim -Leeds, AL, '84 camper for $3500- see post above- is still up here. A bunch of other parts were recently posted too.)
B
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUYER BEWARE! 

Fact: 
Jim’s Aircooled, in Leeds, Alabama does not honestly represent items for sale.  “New” items, are not in fact new at all, or properly stored in order to remain new. 

History: 
Saw a Samba ad for a NEW Acme body/chassis that looked like a good deal, and responded.  Worked a deal on the phone for a NEW Acme Nostalgia body, and a NEW Acme chassis for “X” amount.  Was offered a NEW windshield, and NEW steering column support for an additional “X” amount EACH. 

The Rant: 
Sounded like a great deal, so I loaded up and drove 685 miles,(one way) straight through, on a weekend, to pick-up and get home.  (I’m a regular working guy, and taking off work was not an option.) 

Upon arrival, after a mountain goat drive up a muddy mountain, I find my “New”, Nostalgia body, sitting outside under a mess of pine trees, right where it was apparently unloaded at time of delivery, 6+ months prior.  Filthy would be an understatement.  The “New” chassis had been painted some shade of grey/black with an old broom, or so it appeared.  And the windshield he offered up was used, and previously drilled and mounted.  Being very disappointed, and weary from the drive, I convinced myself the body would be fine once cleaned up, and at least the chassis wasn’t a rusty mess. 

I should have got back in my truck and left right then, but I didn’t, so the rest is clearly on me…  Definitely should have checked that body closer…  The following week, when I had time to scrub it clean…  The scuffs, scars, and gouges in the body are so bad, and numerous, that it will simply require some fair prep work, and a paint job to ever be truly presentable.   I have no idea what was done to this body, but when questioned, Jim blames Acme, claiming that is exactly how they come to him. 

Simply think twice before making any journey to see this dealer.
BohcaBaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's VW - [email protected] - Leeds, Alabama Reply with quote

I am afraid that I may have fallen victim to Jim's Fake Southern manors. I brought my IRS transmission down to him almost 3 mouths ago for a rebuild and he always had a different excuse why the transmission isn't finished and when I ask him direct questions he often has new stories to tell me. He never calls back his customers, I have to call him. At the very least, he doesn't give a rat's ass about his customers. The transmission is still in his shop and when I was just about to fire him and direct him to not proceed with any work! now his story is, it's almost finish and ready to pick up. I have ZERO confidence in Jim's ability to do a good job. I wish I had seen these posts before driving 2 hours (one way) to conduct; what has proven to be a very frustrating and now horrifying business experience. I am seriously thinking of just cutting my losses with Jim and find a transmission elsewhere.

I think its time for Jim to close shop!!!
kaeferman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's VW - [email protected] - Leeds, Alabama Reply with quote

All you can do is spread the word and when he dies someone will get his rotten and ill gotten vw mess. There are a number of interesting vehicles rotting down at his place. He seemed to have a thing for type 3s. I ran through his yard briefly on my visit when I wasted a pile of money on Jim trying to buy my first van. Guess I m lucky the deal fell thru and I got to be done with him in days rather than the string a long trick. See my tale above. Here is where I learned about the feedback button on Samba ads. He still posts parts and vehicles here too and I was in unsuccessful in getting Everett to bar him from posting his scams on the site. Maybe you could be more persuasive. He clearly uses this site for his rip offs. Tell all your friends, "Don't go to Leeds for Jim's VW unless you hate your money."
B
A914Man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's VW - [email protected] - Leeds, Alabama Reply with quote

I stupidly purchased an engine "built" by Jim from a 17 year old kid. 1st mistake: buying engine from a minor (no legal recourse). 2nd mistake: buying an engine "built" by Jim. I did a better job doing my first ever engine rebuild (with zero experience) on my 914 engine at age 23 than this hack with XX years of experience. His experience must be how to make a pile of junk parts look like a rebuilt engine. Total ripoff. If you get anything from this guy you are throwing money away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: