Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identify frame help please
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obo1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Identify frame help please Reply with quote

Can anyone identify the manufacturer of this frame please. I'd like to find the bottom section of the engine cage pre fabbed if possible. I'm guessing I will be bending and welding the upper section myself. All in all, I think this was $140 well spent. Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like an old Berrien frame. The back is substantially...personalized. I expect the entire back of the frame should be re-fabbed and I don't expect Berrien (now called Acme) to offer any of that. They MIGHT offer the engine cage, tho. Make sure the VW engine/trans support yokes are straight before replacing the rear bumper cage. And when you rebuild it, add braces to the motor mount p[late at the back of the yoke going up to the outer ends of the crossmember above the bellhousing.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you call ACME they can probably send you every piece you need to replace the entire rear end. They may not make that frame anymore, but they will have the dimensions and they can easily cut and bend the new pieces.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you call ACME they can probably send you every piece you need to replace the entire rear end. They may not make that frame anymore, but they will have the dimensions and they can easily cut and bend the new pieces.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rear cage for a berrien if your anywhere near West Michigan. I only removed it because my new engine wouldn't fit.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
obo1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately I'm in Kentucky, not close enough to Michigan or I would jump on it. Thank you. Had my body man come and look at the frame. He wants to put it on the frame rack to straighten it. Think we will give it a try.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's amazing how that half-@ssed x-brace on the main hoop limited a lot of bending over the passsenger compartment. Goes to show they work!
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I would do is strip it (remove everything removable) sand blast it get it up on chassis table (stands) and cut loose all the bent stuff, and see if its really worth acquiring a lot of pieces.... Quite frankly its pretty rough....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: