Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

swingaxle axle snap ring install how to
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: swingaxle axle snap ring install how to Reply with quote

I am putting the axles on a rebuilt swing axle. I cannot get the big snap ring "differential side gear lock ring" installed. I have a huge pair of snap ring pliers, but I just can not get the ring compressed and in position no matter what I do. There is just no room to move it and the pliers around with the axle in the way. What is the trick to do this?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would say you do not have a snap ring pliers that will close the ring far enough to clear the gear or side plate.

Snap-on makes a long handled arched one that works great but you still need to man up to get the ring out.

have you put extenders on the handles?

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fclmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also make sure you don't have a fulcrum plate behind the axle
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this, on a super diff with dual snap rings and without the correct pliers it was impossible. These are the correct ones
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321451344826
The tips are angled ever so slightly towards each other so the snap ring doesn't want to jump off, and they're good quality german tools. The steel tips don't give a hint of flex or bending even with strong snap rings. Access wasn't an issue, it took seconds, and I struggled with what I thought was an ok set of snap ring pliers before ordering these
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got them on. Turns out, the new snap rings have the hole about 1/4" farther apart, the the pliers could not close enough,,, so some grinding allowed me to close them more. Then squeeze the snap ring, hold the handles against my fat belly, then use a screw driver to push the ring in at the bottom. Then do it 3 more times. What a pain. Thanks for the help.
Esky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/tp7 These worked the best for me. Don't have to worry about them breaking at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: