Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sachs/Boge High-Performance Shocks
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Sachs/Boge High-Performance Shocks Reply with quote

Bus Depot is selling a "high performance" Boge shocks

Rear: PN 211513031RHD http://www.busdepot.com/211513031rhd

Front: PN 211413031PHD http://www.busdepot.com/211413031phd

Any one have any experience with these shocks? They are $80 a piece plus shipping so far from cheap. Don't want to loose ride comfort, but would like to do better in the wind.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been awhile.....but I am betting these are similar in profile to Boge S sport shocks from a few years back. Usually the Boge shocks that list a notch orl step up from stock are similar to the KYB GR-2......about 10% stiffer with similar valve rate as stock. My experience has been overall excellent quality. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind? In HR? Laughing

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sachs/Boge High-Performance Shocks Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Bus Depot is selling a "high performance" Boge shocks

Rear: PN 211513031RHD http://www.busdepot.com/211513031rhd

Front: PN 211413031PHD http://www.busdepot.com/211413031phd

Any one have any experience with these shocks? They are $80 a piece plus shipping so far from cheap. Don't want to loose ride comfort, but would like to do better in the wind.

Just make sure they are oil filled and not gas. A stiffer oil filled shock gives a pretty good ride in a bay. Even my Nakata's handled really well for about $40 each. Our Koni shocks behave about like heavy duty 70's AMERICAN MADE Monroe or Gabriel shocks did on my 1971 but I have them set pretty low. The ride gets harsh when they are set stiff. I don't know any shock that will completely neutralize a windy day. Getting original VW bearings and top cap for the swing arm lever helped quite a bit too. So did finding a drag link made with less play in it new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sachs/Boge High-Performance Shocks Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Getting original VW bearings and top cap for the swing arm lever helped quite a bit too.

Are you talking about the rear diagonal arm? Or the center pin arm up front? I'm a little lost…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sachs/Boge High-Performance Shocks Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Getting original VW bearings and top cap for the swing arm lever helped quite a bit too.

Are you talking about the rear diagonal arm? Or the center pin arm up front? I'm a little lost…

center pin up front. The stock cap is stiffer than the Meyle one and the genuine VW bushings are slightly smaller ID. The combination makes the swing arm rock less. Also be sure to use a clamp when tightening things down to reduce the potential up down movement.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sachs/Boge High-Performance Shocks Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

center pin up front. The stock cap is stiffer than the Meyle one and the genuine VW bushings are slightly smaller ID. The combination makes the swing arm rock less. Also be sure to use a clamp when tightening things down to reduce the potential up down movement.

Just went through the center arm again on my '77. Checked the new parts against the year old ones I took out which were allowing excess movement. Everything miked the same, so yes the aftermarket ones are not tight enough any more. The shaft slides in pretty easily into the bushings, whereas years ago it was sometimes hard to get the shaft into place. Yes the caps are too soft, in order to grease the bushings, I set a wood block on top of the jack and positioned the jack right under the cap as it would be pushed out otherwise. The new kit was a Lemforders and since everything appeared identical to the year old one I would assume the year old one was by the same manufacturer.

Haven't check for slop with the new parts yet, but I am sure it is going to be there.
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sachs/Boge High-Performance Shocks Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Any one have any experience with these shocks?

Also allow some time for them to settle in, I put some new shocks on my bus and at first I wasn't too impressed but now I really notice the difference.

PG

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: