Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mods for better lifter and rocker lubrication..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3/4 side only filled up at high rpm (on the highway), possibly due to crank windage
HVX mods would help fill the 1/2 side more and possibly draw heat away from the heads.

I have done Bob's HVX mods to 3 engines already with great results.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you ever looked in a vw case?with the cam in there?and the lifter boss above &inbetween the crank&the pushrod tube openings?and cam is rotating to throw the oil to the 1-2 side?hmm, I think his oil relief was open spraying in the #3 ex pushrod tube filling the valve cover or the car was on a 30-45 degree angle., wonder why mine dont fill? and with the extra oil I have going to the heads??hmmI wonder if the case was decked at an angle??
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm........ what? how is the cam throwing oil to the 1-2 side? r u saying the cam is flinging oil up the 1-2 pushrod tubes?

a random thought crossed my mind. i wonder if VW purposly designed the oiling system this way becaause of how the #3 cylinder was known for overheating, on the earlier motors with NON offset oil coolers. maybe as a way to eqalize the temps in the motor or something?
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just due to the direction the crank rotates

oil mist won't turn sharp corners as well as air, you may note a lot of breather designs are made to take advantage of this.
So the crank throws oil off a a tangent, at the bottom it is throwing down and to the left through where the lifters are, it is hard for it to go around the sharp corner and up toward the 1/2 side that's like a 135 degree turn, but it's got only a 45 degree turn to go towards the 3/4 side. once the oil mist comes out the pushrod tubes it could hit the valve cover and go splat and stick to the cover, rather than staying a mist, it can float up there but then takes longer to flow back down as a liquid, that is part of how the oil can build-up in the covers. True for many types of engine

BTW, mark is probably right, the oil relief position may make it worse, but my single relief case lost oil pressure round turns way worse than the other engines, so there is more too it than JUST that
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm do you guys not run yours with a cam??& oil??just wondering witch way does the cam turn? and where is the oil?hmm wonder if my motor rund bassakwards,that would splain a lot. but yes I have spun a cold motor with no valve covers and seen oil thrown from &3 exhaust ptube.hmm cold oil, making the bypass open quick at presure spike?na couldnt be. and dont forget the pushrods are not right there where the oil is suposedly being thrown either. still has to go over a few inches then up another 90 degrees then another 90 drgrees, hmm how many degrees is that now? 45,90,90hmm almost 226 and getting through the cam&lifters might be a chore too..ohwell it dont matter any way just runn taller valve covers so they can hold more oil. or dont put any in there to start with.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lotta degrees
you got a degree in angles?

the oil doesn't, it just gets thrown randomly but more towards the left, like probability, like the electron cloud? you know

the surface speed of the cam is so small it's rotation does not matter, but don't let me stop you from makin a chain drive for your roller cam Very Happy

meanwhile I'll make stuffer plates for the valve covers, like they used to do for two cycles, that will liven it up in there considerably I imagine. no rest for my oil, I keep it working, none of this hands in pockets tomfoolery Wink
tdonaldson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at this for a while. This other site had a little info on it posted by Bob Hoover. For anyone else interested in the idea, I really am pretty surprised it isn't more popular. Ths interesting posts are about 3/4 of the way down.

http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=236862
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crank windage is MUCH greater than cam windage. Add to that, the crank is spinning twice the RPM as the cam is.

It is crank windage swirling the oil around like a hurricane in your case that flings oil up the 3/4 pushrod tubes and not the 1/2 pushrod tubes. The Hoover modification won't cause the 1/2 valve cover to fill with oil like 3/4 does.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mush have a totaly different type engine, my cam is between the 2 case halvs, with lifters there also to the sides of it,not much room for all that swirlingto get through and stil all only go to the left side and make the upward turn then go through the slot then turn again 90 degrees and swirel up the pushrod tubes in to the head.but the pressure relief will throw oil through the #3 exhaust pushrod tube & to the head. seen that with the vc off. and only the #3 tube ,witch is where the pressure dump is.go figure?
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the debate goes on...

I can fully believe the "atmosphere" inside the crank case is swirling in the same direction as the crank. I think it would be naive to think otherwise. Sure there is some swirl around the cam, but overall it's a pretty slender profile compared to the throws and counterweights of a crank.

With that said, it would be interesting to very precisely measure the relative pressure differences inside the pushrod tubes where they exit the engine case and some other spots around the inside of the case.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuntmanus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLKWRK wrote:

When we groove the lifters, it is okay that the " oiling valve" is open when the valve is not actuated, but when the pushrod is not pushed, then there is a clearance, there must be pressure (so oil) loss.
Is there enough pressure to overcome this?

Just a thought.

BR

Stuntmnaus

1974 VW 1303 RS 2110
1972 VW 1302

"Look man, I am not Mr. Lebowski, I am the Dude...!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuntmanus wrote:
CLKWRK wrote:

When we groove the lifters, it is okay that the " oiling valve" is open when the valve is not actuated, but when the pushrod is not pushed, then there is a clearance, there must be pressure (so oil) loss.
Is there enough pressure to overcome this?

Just a thought.

BR

Stuntmnaus

This makes no sense ?? when is the pushrod not moving ?? or the lifter ?? if the motor is spinning so is everything else ?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fulltime oiling,it works for me.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:

This makes no sense ?? when is the pushrod not moving ?? or the lifter ?? if the motor is spinning so is everything else ?

the pushrod has lash half-1/3 of the time. In this time maybe it wiggles...... but it's not moving.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
raul arrese wrote:

the pushrod has lash half-1/3 of the time. In this time maybe it wiggles...... but it's not moving.

Im with you Very Happy
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grass is greener on the other side always.

A lot of engine "priority main oiling" is a big deal and has made or broken some designs. I can think of many engines where the rockers wear horribly but history likes them anyway.

Not really important just saying I respect VW's design choice.
No groove the lifter for me but maybe I groove the intake lifter bores, only on the non thrust side Wink
santakart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, August 15, 2010
"It is my sad duty to tell all of you who read Bob's blog that Bob passed away this past Friday, August 13. How much he will be missed is incalcuable. Thank you all for all the support you have given him. I'm his wife. He was a great man."

Steve here, those of you who have read Mr Hoovers blog may have or not have seen this post at the top of the page, if you e-mail Mr hoover you may not get a response, I also do not expect that there will be any more posts from his web site. There is a lot of information to be had on his blog, and it should be read again and again, good luck to you all

Thank You

Steve
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long his site will be maintained. It would be a shame to lose all of that good info, it should be archived somewhere
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of just doing this part of the Mod! Any reason it would not be enough to help oil a pretty much stock-ish 1971 Bus engine?
Bob Hoover Mod to the Cam journal. Maybe just on the bottom grooves?
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I am thinking of just doing this part of the Mod! Any reason it would not be enough to help oil a pretty much stock-ish 1971 Bus engine?
Bob Hoover Mod to the Cam journal. Maybe just on the bottom grooves?

I think anything you do to improve your oiling system is good , I pick and choose wht mods I do , never had a problem .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: