Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1953 356 coupe barn find
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: 1953 356 coupe barn find Reply with quote

Hello guys, I was hoping you could help me.

I recently came across a 1953 356 coupe in an old building close to my property. It is in very rusted condition, all apart but with a lot of the parts there I believe. No title, it was given to him as scrap 20 years ago and it has sat in that building ever since. I talked with the owner and he is OK with selling it. I am looking for a project to build and I have all the skills necessary. My questions are. Is this a worth while purchase and what is a fair price for me to pay for it and the gentlemen to receive for it? In other words a price that is fair to both of us.

Thank you for any info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alamento
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 356 coupe barn find Reply with quote

jodybug wrote:

I recently came across a 1953 356 coupe in an old building close to my property. It is in very rusted condition, all apart but with a lot of the parts there I believe. No title, it was given to him as scrap 20 years ago and it has sat in that building ever since. I talked with the owner and he is OK with selling it. I am looking for a project to build and I have all the skills necessary. My questions are. Is this a worth while purchase and what is a fair price for me to pay for it and the gentlemen to receive for it? In other words a price that is fair to both of us.

Thank you for any info.

More info is needed before we could help come up with a number. The car's condition and completeness means everything. Finding the correct parts for these old cars is possible, but the prices are sky high.

For example:

- a matched set correct 16" wheels with turbo rings could easily cost you $10,000+ (unrestored). Repros are available for less if you're ok with that.

- The 2 Veigel gauges correct for a '53 are about $1000 each.

- The last pre-a dash I saw on ebay went for $1500.

- The cast aluminum parking brake assembly is $1000 if you can find someone willing to part with one.

- A set of correct square door handles could cost $700+ before chrome.

- A Pedal cluster (square pedals) correct for a '53 just sold on ebay for almost $1500.

- Fatback seats could be $1500 with hinges (unrestored).

- An original steering wheel with horn button is $1500-$2000.

It can very easily get away from you.

On the other hand, threads like this always seem to end with someone else getting the car. My suggestion would be to find out what the seller needs to get out of it, and if that number sounds reasonable, get the deal done ASAP. Others are coming. Research comes with the risk of the seller changing his mind, or someone else closing your deal.

I've spent the past 2 years tracking down parts for my '52 coupe. I bought it as a roller, so I've got some recent experience with parts and prices. I'm no expert, but would be happy to help you anyway I can. Feel free to PM me.

Good luck!
Steven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for the advise. The gentlemen has no idea of a price and would sell for scrap as that was his original intent. I will follow thru and purchase.
Again, Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

jodybug wrote:
Thank you for the advise. The gentlemen has no idea of a price and would sell for scrap as that was his original intent. I will follow thru and purchase.
Again, Thank you.

Post up some foto's after ya bring it home! Everyone loves a good barnfind story.

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveCarrera4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 356 coupe barn find Reply with quote

jodybug wrote:

Thank you for any info.
any updates?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: