Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

81 diesel pickup swap 4spd for 5spd
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: 81 diesel pickup swap 4spd for 5spd Reply with quote

Have an 81 diesel pickup with 58k orig miles and in very good shape. Currently has a 4 spd trans. I would like to use this as my daily driver on the highway but cant stand the noise . I have located a good 5 spd trans but the mechanic tells me I need the shift rod that goes from the shifter to the linkage at the trans. I have tried every local source that I can think of with no luck.
Any other sources ,or any ideas would be welcome ! THANKS !
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need a few parts(3). The link that goes left to right with the ends that snap onto the balls and the short piece with with the rubber ball on the end and the piece that goes into.
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that the final drive on a 4 sped is the same as on a 5 speed . The 5 speed just has another gear on the way up to high gear .

I have owned a few 4 speed Rabbit diesels and now own a 5 speed Jetta . The Jetta is quieter at 60 than any of my old Rabbits were at that speed .

Maybe there is a difference ????

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old n' slow wrote:
I have been told that the final drive on a 4 sped is the same as on a 5 speed . The 5 speed just has another gear on the way up to high gear .

I have owned a few 4 speed Rabbit diesels and now own a 5 speed Jetta . The Jetta is quieter at 60 than any of my old Rabbits were at that speed .

Maybe there is a difference ????

If you have the tranny codes, that is an easy thing to look up. Final drive matters as well as what ratio the actual gear is.
BigPapaYams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - check here:

www.partsplaceinc.com

http://www.mk1autohaus.com

1980 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (purchased not running - still not running)
1980 Rabbit Pickup (purchased not running and ugly but good potential) with 1.5L diesel & 4-speed
1981 Rabbit Pickup (my daily driver) 1.6L diesel & 5-speed
2009 Yamaha T-Max scooter (SOLD)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: