Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

for something totally new... a horn question!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the wire running inside the steering shaft is properly insulated (no cuts or missing insulation) it should be fine. The top and bottom ends of the wire rotate as the shaft rotates.

The point to remember is for 68-71 model years the steering shaft and steering wheel are part of the circuit between the horn and the horn switch. This is the positive side of the horn switch. If any part of this circuit is grounded, the horn will sound.

Simple test.... take a grounded wire and with the ignition ON, touch it to the metal of the steering wheel or steering shaft (steering wheel nut). If the horn sounds, you know the positive side of the horn switch is wired. Just run a new wire down the center of the shaft and connect it to the steering box bolt at the rubber junction disc. The upper end of the wire connects to the horn button / pressure ring.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
gcarver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply to Ashman on horn ground wire Reply with quote

The reason I asked was because you had sent me a picture showing a yellow ground wire properly attached to the coupler bolt to help me. Later I noticed that it appears that the yellow wire is connected to a white wire which looks like it is going through a hole in the center of the steering column which is keeping the wire from touching anything. Then I assume the wire exits the top via a rubber plug. But thanks. I feel good about it now..
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reply to Ashman on horn ground wire Reply with quote

gcarver wrote:
The reason I asked was because you had sent me a picture showing a yellow ground wire properly attached to the coupler bolt to help me. Later I noticed that it appears that the yellow wire is connected to a white wire which looks like it is going through a hole in the center of the steering column which is keeping the wire from touching anything. Then I assume the wire exits the top via a rubber plug. But thanks. I feel good about it now..

I think this is the pic of the wire at the bottom and the rubber plug at the top of the steering shaft.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've not actually seen one of these plugs except in pics. I would suggest it serves two purposes....
1) prevent any road dust from coming up the shaft
2) prevent the wire from rubbing against the edge of the shaft lip. I can imagine over years the vibration could cause the insulation to wear thru.

Since you probably can't find that exact rubber plug, you could try to make one from a rubber (or cork) bottle stopper... or just wait for the wire to wear thru. You'll know because the horn will sound for no reason. Wink
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
gcarver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: I am calling this a win Reply with quote

I stripped the threads on one of the steering wheels horn ring mounting kit and it is either because of that or improper adjustment that I am not getting horn when I puh on the horn button. However, my new ground wire will sound the horn when I touch it directly to the brass ring inside the wheel
Unless I am missing something I am happy to say that my horn is operational but not functional.
Thanks so very much
gcarver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: and Reply with quote

I used a rubber grommet. Worked perfect. Thanks again Laughing
irun5k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply to Ashman on horn ground wire Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

I've not actually seen one of these plugs except in pics. I would suggest it serves two purposes....

Is this it?
http://www.jbugs.com/product/113-547.html

I saw it when looking for other horn-related parts but had no idea what it was for until you posted this pic.

I wasn't as concerned about the exit at the top where this boot would be used, since that location seems relatively low stress. However, I did put some heat shrink tubing around the last few inches at the bottom. Even though it moves with the shaft, the exit though an old metal opening made me think a little extra protection couldn't hurt.

Happy to say, my horn works perfectly now. Thanks all for the help!
irun5k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I am calling this a win Reply with quote

gcarver wrote:
I stripped the threads on one of the steering wheels horn ring mounting kit and it is either because of that or improper adjustment that I am not getting horn when I puh on the horn button. However, my new ground wire will sound the horn when I touch it directly to the brass ring inside the wheel
Unless I am missing something I am happy to say that my horn is operational but not functional.
Thanks so very much

I had this problem at first. I had my brass contact ring backwards. The way that it fits best is actually the wrong way. The ridge that appears to hug the steering wheel perfectly is actually supposed to face toward the steering column, because the little ridge is what makes the contact and completes the circuit. I will say that I also had to tighten my screws almost all the way down, and I cleaned up the surfaces that make contact with some de-oxit.
gcarver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Ridge Reply with quote

Check out the horn ring install video in the stickys faq section and that dude specifically shows that brass plate going on the exact opposite of what you told me. However, what you say makes more sense and I will try it. It obviously wasn't making contact, and I had it all the way tight. Maybe that little extra ridge will make the diff. Thanks bro.
gcarver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: A home run Reply with quote

Switched it over. Horn works. You were right.
Thanks Laughing
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched that steering column bearing video. Where does that grey wire go that goes down into the steering shaft? It looks to be the horn wire but does it attach inside the shaft somehow?

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
irun5k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
I watched that steering column bearing video. Where does that grey wire go that goes down into the steering shaft? It looks to be the horn wire but does it attach inside the shaft somehow?

At least on the 68-70, the wire going down the shaft is the ground wire. It mates up down at the the steering coupler.

The other half of the circuit comes from the steering bearing. The 68-70 is unique here and unfortunately parts from other years are interchangeable but non-functional. PO of my '69 had installed the wrong bushing that didn't have the metal contacts required for these model years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: