Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear body structure of 411/412
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris67bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Rear body structure of 411/412 Reply with quote

Hi, I am thinking of trying to 'rescue' a 412 which is lying in a field near me. It is very very rotted, front end totally gone. However I am interested in the body work which the rear suspension bolts to. I take it this is pretty strong? The seats are still in the car, so I cant see whats under them and the doors are seized shut (I'm not gonna try and open them). Basically gonna try and pull the car out via a chain round the rear suspension - bit concerned it might pull the whole suspension out of the car!!

Grateful for any advice, pictures welcome too!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I dont think questions of the rear end chassis strength have ever been asked either here or in the STF.

But.....no.....and yes. The rear beam attachment on the type 4 cars is really no that significant. If you look at how the beam....which is what the rear traiking wishbones bolt on to.....there are only two vertical 12mm bolts that hold this beam to the chassis.

One would assume that these two attaching points ....one at each end ....would be fairly significant hard threaded plates welded into the chassis. But....I wont be able to verify that until august on mine.....and most of what would be there would be very hard to see as its in the in between structure spaces behind the rear seat.
I have only had the beam off one once to salvage a drive train and did not have time to really inspect. All I can say is give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

With the propensity for rust and being a full unibody....this is why I warn those who really like these cars....to undertake a full front and rear suspension strip and restore...or inspection if nothing else. The rear mounting points are prone to rust being at the ends of the heater channels. I already know mine has several small perforations in this area that I will have to weld metal patch plates into. Im hoping there is nothing critical in mine. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris67bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

Thank you for this advice, doesn't inspire me with confidence lol, however as you say there must be some fairly substantial structure above the crossmember/ subframe for it to bolt to. Found this pic of the underside which seems to confirm the lack of bolts holding it on!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll have another look at it and see how i get on!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...seecthose two plates at the outer most points of the beam?....that are perpendicular to the beam....there is a rubber bushing and two 8mm bolts at thr dorwarw end of those plates. It does actually not to much that I can tell to lend strength. Its more of a dampi g bushing retainer plate. There is actwo sided conical hour glass bushing that the vertical bolts go through that is the main hding point. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad you're in the UK, I'd give you a nicer 412 than that sounds...but you have to work with what you'be got I guess.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: